• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Welcome to our newest import"

Collapse

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Yep, that's my point; there are several others in Europe who want the system reformed, so join in with them.
    But there is no general consensus. Some states do not suffer as much as others. The ones who are OK tend to get involved in horse trading for support for amendments which eventually lead nowhere.
    Unless the issue affects all the players then there will never be any satisfactory outcome.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    So that's why you need as much influence in Europe as possible to influence reform of the ECHR; does anyone here think it's only the Brits who feel the ECHR is going beyond it's real brief?
    With Salmond we will be discovering the delights of the runrig system shortly, we will be back to rotational crop management in 10 years.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    I doubt it. There was a recent case in Norway which boggles the mind. Deals with two illegals who had children and somehow managed to get leave.
    Yep, that's my point; there are several others in Europe who want the system reformed, so join in with them.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    So that's why you need as much influence in Europe as possible to influence reform of the ECHR; does anyone here think it's only the Brits who feel the ECHR is going beyond it's real brief?
    I doubt it. There was a recent case in Norway which boggles the mind. Deals with two illegals who had children and somehow managed to get leave.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    The human rights act was born out of a continent after years of war and now it has become a passage into getting something undeserved. Prisoners getting compenstion for having to use a basin for a toilet, pikeys allowed to pitch up on a camp with 400 people.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    He doesn't even have a family! FFS. The ruling was based on him having developed a life style and personal relationships.
    Even if he had a family there is no denial of family life if he is expelled as they are at liberty to go with him. Are these judges thick?
    Except if the family members are British! And there has been a LOT of case law about that. And, if there are children involved - regardless if they are British or not.

About a year ago my wife won a case where the woman had established relationships akin to a family life. It truely was an amazing win, given she had no relatives here..and was a drug addict.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

I read the other day that Adolph used to put bread down for mice. Henceforth, I won't hear a word against him.
    If it was anything like his alsation, it was laced with cyanide to see what would happen.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    What, precisely, would that achieve?
    Personally I would like to have the judicial system linked to the parliament, arbrtitary rules which nobody wants being forced upon the electorate are the hallmark of the Eu just now.

I am not in the UKIP camp but much of what they ask for is clear common sense. The human rights act was born out of a continent after years of war and now it has become a passage into getting something undeserved. Prisoners getting compenstion for having to use a basin for a toilet, pikeys allowed to pitch up on a camp with 400 people.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Daily Mail readers will have to find something else to hate?

A big achievement ...

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    You are wrong about that. If the UK fully leaves the EU, our govt can repeal the human rights act, EU courts would have no jurisdiction and EU politicians no control over UK laws.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Very bad news, but also a wonderful example of UKIP and DP completely missing the point. The judgment came from the European Court of Human Rights, an institution completely seperate from and pre-dating the European Union, set up at the behest of, among others, Sir Winston Churchill, enforcing the European Treaty of Human Rights, ratified in British law in 1953 by Churchill's conservative government.

Leaving the EU would make no difference whatsoever to the requirement to comply with European Court judgments, but would make it more difficult for the UK to influence the reforms to the ECHR which are undoubtedly necessary to prevent this kind of nasty little chappy avoiding justice.
    You are wrong about that. If the UK fully leaves the EU, our govt can repeal the human rights act, EU courts would have no jurisdiction and EU politicians no control over UK laws.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Thatcher used to describe Portillo with the very condescending phrase of "he is Spanish you know".

Edit: Changed Greek to Spanish
    Last edited by minestrone; 21 September 2011, 10:34.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Anytime I see Peter Mandelson on the TV his mannerisms remind me of that Austrian chap, his swinging arm gestures and pompous stares, penchant for facial hair and ability to change the media to what he wants to have written. Apart from the genital mutilation I would swear they are related.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    What do you think would happen if a UK citizen went to Nigeria and started raping women???
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    They'd probably fit right in.
    At least two of them would fit, yes.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    What do you think would happen if a UK citizen went to Nigeria and started raping women???
    They'd probably fit right in.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X