• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Interactive map of the internet's underwater fibre optic cables"

Collapse

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    Originally posted by Chaffinch View Post
    I hope you didn't sob for too long ......
    probably all the way to the bank.

Leave a comment:

• Chaffinch
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Try Goodbye
    Awwww, don't take my earlier post personally, it was aimed at ALL agents, you represent them on here. I hope you didn't sob for too long ......

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I think they built special tunnels for them to go in.
    Can't have or they wouldn't be able to lay via ship.

Unless you mean tunnel as in hard protective cable coating to stop the fibre optic part from being crushed. But if it was that hard it wouldn't bend on the reel the ships use.

So I'm still not buying this really happens. It's all a big con and they use satellites instead. The cable companies charge for a fake cable and just buy some bandwidth on a satellite. Nice scam.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Chaffinch View Post
    Wow, an interesting thread on CUK. I literally don't know what to say ......

Try Goodbye

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    If it's difficult to go to the bottom of the sea due to pressure of all the weight of water, why don't the cables get crushed?

I suspect this is just another logic glitch in the matrix.
    I think they built special tunnels for them to go in.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    If it's difficult to go to the bottom of the sea due to pressure of all the weight of water, why don't the cables get crushed?

I suspect this is just another logic glitch in the matrix.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Submarine Cable Map

Originating article: One Per Cent: Interactive map of the internet's underwater paths

There's a lot of communication going on between the UK and America and the cables look like tangle of noodles around China. And our Bob talk travels with much quickness through the Strait of Gibraltar and the Suez Canal. Anyone got a pair of scissors?
    I would have thought that attaching cables to submarines would limit their navigational ability.

Leave a comment:

• Chaffinch
    replied
    Wow, an interesting thread on CUK. I literally don't know what to say ......

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Thats interesting. Odd how so many terminate in Alaska and other places you wouldn't have expected.

There was a programme on about a ship laying the cables on Quest the otherday using a plough to bury the cables on the sea bed. The amount of effort going in to it is astounding.
    was that part of the Might Ships series?
    Mighty Ships - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Odd how so many terminate in Alaska and other places you wouldn't have expected.
    That's expected.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    It takes less time to lay transocean fiber cable than get copper phone line from BT

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Thats interesting. Odd how so many terminate in Alaska and other places you wouldn't have expected.

There was a programme on about a ship laying the cables on Quest the otherday using a plough to bury the cables on the sea bed. The amount of effort going in to it is astounding.

Leave a comment:

• Interactive map of the internet's underwater fibre optic cables

Submarine Cable Map

Originating article: One Per Cent: Interactive map of the internet's underwater paths

There's a lot of communication going on between the UK and America and the cables look like tangle of noodles around China. And our Bob talk travels with much quickness through the Strait of Gibraltar and the Suez Canal. Anyone got a pair of scissors?

Working...
X