• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: My trip to Oxford

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "My trip to Oxford"

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I'm still trying to visualise your oil paintings.
    Don't. With your lack of imagination, it'll be a waste of time

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Suffice to say, reader, I married her
    FTFY

It does seem to fit so many stories here.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post

I don't know if it still exists, but 20 years ago your best bet was to go to the Hotel Booking service in the Arrivals Hall. They had a list of Heathrow Hotel rooms to fill and you could get the same hotel at less than half the price than simply turning up, and maybe the bonus of a double room for the price of a single.
    Quite a few years ago I did that. Acting as 'tour guide' for 11 East Germans on a trip to see the Rolling Stones at Wembley we didn't have a hotel for the first night. We got some dive in Victoria with 3 rooms to share between us. Some of the lads took the large one in the cellar and bought a load of booze, the couple had the double room and me and a mate went on the piss in London except, yep, all the pubs shut at 11pm. Ended up drinking coffee until midnight then wandered the streets trying to get into various clubs. Eventually some chap accosted us on Tottenham Court Road trying to sell us drugs but we just answered we only wanted alcohol and ended up in some underground boozer...and I won't go any further as I could incriminate myself. Suffice to say, we didn't need our room and the hotel was absolutely ******* tulip.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    The English people I know who live in Germany seem to find it hard to integrate, probably both sides to blame a little: Germans and Brits can be very insular.
    Don't know me then. I hardly know any Brits here and the ones I do know have been here 30+ years and I hardly see them now. Nearly all my friends are German and I spend practically all my time with Germans and that includes my German family. I'm the only English speaking person where I work and for most of my projects that is the case although I can actually see where you're coming from, you want to look at some of the pathetic souls on the Toytown forum...

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Remember reading that.

A bheil Gàidhlig agaibh?

Leave a comment:

• darrenb
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I think my daughter would stand a much better change in the world of work equipped with two languages under her belt. I'm going to make sure she gets that chance.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/31/sc...versation.html

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Well with your flimsy intellectual toolbox you'll be disappointed. The "Spot the Dog" market is all sewn up.

It might be more along the lines of spot the merchant banker. I'm certainly not expecting Bonfire of the Vanities.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    I am trying to write a novel in my spare time.
    Well with your flimsy intellectual toolbox you'll be disappointed. The "Spot the Dog" market is all sewn up.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Another problem with the UK is that although you can earn good money; the cost of living is too high, I know some Eastern European IT workers who have gone back home because although the wages are lower, they have more disposable income.

In Greece there has been rioting because they are going to introduce their version of council tax.

I am also in touch with some expats who moved to Europe and they all say it is the best thing they have ever done for their kids.
    Totally Agree with that. You might earn good money but you're pouring it back into the system. As quality decreases it just rubs insult to injury. I understand the need to be defensive but cutting off your nose despite your face is denial.

With our first born newly on the scene, the government support putting €500 in here account every month, bringing her up out here seems like a great opportunity. In my office alone it's not untypical for some individuals to speak 3 languages. It's bad enough UK lacking technical education but our language abilities are really suffering also.

I think my daughter would stand a much better change in the world of work equipped with two languages under her belt. I'm going to make sure she gets that chance.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I don't describe anyone with less money than me as a failure.
    I consider people to be failures if they whinge a lot without trying to change anything.

HTH
    I'm still trying to visualise your oil paintings.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    And yet you describe anyone with less money than you as a failure. Why is that? Would you consider yourself a failure if you had less money but were twice as good at painting?
    I don't describe anyone with less money than me as a failure.
    I consider people to be failures if they whinge a lot without trying to change anything.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Would you consider yourself a failure if you had less money but were twice as good at painting?
    If I was twice as good at painting I'd be selling my work at Christie's.

HTH

sasguru

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I do indeed. I value my growing expertise in oil painting and am trying to write a novel in my spare time.
    I'm also working on my Plan D which may provide another fortune but I'm doing that for the satisfaction not the money.
    HTH
    And yet you describe anyone with less money than you as a failure. Why is that? Would you consider yourself a failure if you had less money but were twice as good at painting?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Another problem with the UK is that although you can earn good money; the cost of living is too high, I know some Eastern European IT workers who have gone back home because although the wages are lower, they have more disposable income.
    I have a distant relative who married a Polish girl, binned his IT support job in the city and moved out there. He's as happy as larry.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Point of order - those who wish to pick up sasguru should do so in dedicated thread.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X