• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Solving problems while you are asleep"

Collapse

• RSoles
    replied
    Originally posted by al_cam View Post
    I commonly walk away from a problem and can easily solve it when I return.
    Ah the old 'Beers and a kebab' solution.
    I've frequently hammered my head against a problem 'til the wee hours with no luck.
    Gone away, had a good night's sleep, gone back to the problem in the morning; bingo! the fix is blindingly obvious.
    It's all down to our susceptability to tramlining, I guess.

As to fixing things when asleep ( or drunk) it happens quite frequently to me.
    I think it works by lowering my reservations/allowing me to think further outside the box than I would during office hours.
    Two rules:-
    1) write good ideas down immediately you wake: after 5 minutes they've gone.
    2) having good ideas when drunk is fine, but leave the implementation 'til you've sobered up.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by al_cam View Post
    In school this is referred to as cheating

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Can anyone here actually do that ?
    Yes. Next!

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    There was a chap on telly the other day who drew pictures in his sleep. He had no memory at all of doing them, and wasn't in the habit of drawing when he was awake. He reckoned he was more likely to do it after he'd had alcohol, so maybe that's worth a try.

Leave a comment:

• al_cam
    replied
    I have dreamed the solution to lots of problems in my time.

I just wish I could control it. I just randomly solve problems.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Yes, middle of the night sound asleep and clearly saw the lines of code I needed. Woke up about the same time and jotted them down and back to sleep again, not quite sure why I did that but I knew it would work. Next morning in the office proved it. Only time that's ever happened.
    WHS - only happened once, but dreamt a clear solution to a coding problem.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Can anyone here actually do that ?

or is it just that you are half awake and thinking about it in a sort of semi conscious way?

I had a couple of corkers recently and I have convinced myself that I sorted them out in my sleep. I wonder if its possible

Yes, done that a few times. Woken up and went downstairs to the office to code out the problem at some unearthly hour in the night.

Still, I suspect it's nothing new: Friedrich Kekulé supposedly hypothesised the ring structure of the benzene molecule after day dreaming about a snake eating its own tail.

Quantum/holographic brain. Or maybe it's just the brie before bedtime.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Yes, middle of the night sound asleep and clearly saw the lines of code I needed. Woke up about the same time and jotted them down and back to sleep again, not quite sure why I did that but I knew it would work. Next morning in the office proved it. Only time that's ever happened.
    well, thats a good bit of evidence.

In that case, I just wish I was as clever awake as I am when I'm asleep
    If I was as good looking, fit and young, that would be a bonus. Plus I'd be able to fly

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    It was definately a dream though ? and you were definately full-on asleep ?

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Obviously, why the f*** do you think it worked?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Years ago I spent days trying to get some code to work properly but no joy. I actually dreamt the solution, clear lines of code in my dream that worked.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Years ago I spent days trying to get some code to work properly but no joy. I actually dreamt the solution, clear lines of code in my dream that worked.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    I had a dream a few months ago about spreadsheets embedded in spreadsheets

There was a real benefit to it too... I just can't remember what it was!!

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Desperately thinking about barbed wire will not sort that problem with some.
    how is the creative writing coming on ?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Desperately thinking about barbed wire will not sort that problem with some.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X