• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Thinking of buying this Jag"

Collapse

• Liamxtype
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I presume it’s ZF gearbox. If the gearbox is stiff when cold; it is working as designed. The oil in the gearbox would be for long motorway journeys.
    Thanks Paddy, I didn't know that, wondered at first if I'd bought a dodgy car and was cursing the dealer

Leave a comment:

• Liamxtype
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    WHS - A manual car is a perfect PITA for town driving, especially in London. I'd never go back to manual.

50 MPG for that diesel sounds impressive; but having always had petrol I'd hesitate to go for diesel, because I know I'd accidently fill it with petrol and knacker the engine!
    Manual IS a PITA all right, dunno why i went for it, when I've had autos for the last 4 years, deffo auto for me next time.
    Diesel also means cheaper road tax, my 2 litre diesel is cheaper than my wife's 1.6 Renault Scenic!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    If you're going to have a fairly small engined car with an automatic box I'd deffo recommend diesel - drive using the engine's torque rather than revs.
    I once hired a crap car on holiday in greece that had the combination of a slow shifting auto with four gears with a 1.0 litre petrol engine with no torque under 6000 rpm.

Not a good combination.

you want 1000 torques at 1000 rpm and at least 7 speed shifter. Bliss.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    WHS - A manual car is a perfect PITA for town driving, especially in London. I'd never go back to manual.

50 MPG for that diesel sounds impressive; but having always had petrol I'd hesitate to go for diesel, because I know I'd accidently fill it with petrol and knacker the engine!
    50+ mpg isn't hard to get with a modern diesel thse days, especially if you do a lot of motorway crusing. I regularly got 55+ from the 2.0 turbo unit in my old Saab and get 46-47 out of the Mondeo now despite only ever driving it 10 miles a day to station and back down the back lanes and A roads.

Of course if you drive like your hair is on fire (like most Audi drivers) you won't get that

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied

If you're going to have a fairly small engined car with an automatic box I'd deffo recommend diesel - drive using the engine's torque rather than revs.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

All Jags should be automatic. A modern 6 or 7 speed auto is a joyous thing, especially when connected to a mega torquey engine.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    All Jags should be automatic. A modern 6 or 7 speed auto is a joyous thing, especially when connected to a mega torquey engine.
    Yes and no. My XJ has the ZF 6 speed that it shares with the BMW 5 series. It has a number of known issues in both cars.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Dunno why you presume that - the manual box is the MTX 75 used on loads of Fords. The auto boxes were Jatco.
    I though wrong then. My old Mondeo thing had a ZF.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I presume it’s ZF gearbox. If the gearbox is stiff when cold; it is working as designed. The oil in the gearbox would be for long motorway journeys.
    Dunno why you presume that - the manual box is the MTX 75 used on loads of Fords. The auto boxes were Jatco.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Yes, that's what I want.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Liamxtype View Post
    I drive an 06 plate X Type, mine's a diesel and does over 50MPG. manual gearbox can be a little stiff sometimes, but overall I'm very happy with it.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Liamxtype View Post
    I drive an 06 plate X Type, mine's a diesel and does over 50MPG. manual gearbox can be a little stiff sometimes, but overall I'm very happy with it.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    This little beaut seems relatively cheap for the mileage, and I wondered if there might be a catch.

Maybe a 2.5 litre engine is underpowered for the weight.

Any resident car experts care to speculate?
    Not a bad car but too much money for the age, should be able to get a low mileage 06 for that money.

Jaguar X-TYPE 2.5 V6 Auto Sport | eBay

Leave a comment:

• Liamxtype
    replied

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Or maybe as already pointed out, it's that they are offered with all-wheel drive in other Countries, other Countries spend much more on snow clearing and winter tyres because their climates are habitually colder rather than occasionally.
    Countries don't spend money, people do.

He also mentioned that the snow ploughs were getting stuck. Kind of hard to blame that on a lack of snow ploughs, don't you think?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X