• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Un-believable discounts at Halfords Autocentre (Nationwide) on MOT for AA members.!!"

Collapse

• Wobblyheed
    replied
    My local garage does MOTs for £19.99

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Whenever I drive through France I'm always struck by how empty the autoroute is. It's only after having driven a Peugeot that I realised it's because people are worried by the distance between exits being slightly greater than the MTBF.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Why does a contractor have a car that requires an M.O.T. ?
    Because it's a luxury classic car, not a piece of modern plastic rubbish?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    If it was new it would have been under warranty.

Didn't 5 year old Mercs had a lot of quality problems with electrics and some such costing a fortune to fix?
    Peugeot's warranty is all very well and good but the 24 hour 365 day Europewide assistance for lease drivers which they sell is so utterly tulipe and involves phoning paid helplines who tell you you must drive to a dealer (when you're only phoning because the f**king thing doesn't drive).

Mercs (now 7 years old) did have problems, but happily the first owners sorted that out under warranty. The service contract Merc sell for second hand cars in Holland is superior to any new car service, all repairs are covered by a guarantee contract and basically you get a better car on a better deal. Not cheap, but cheaper than a new car and one hell of a lot better than anything from France.

If anything, a young used German car is better than a new car from anything other than some new Japanese cars.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I 'downgraded' from a new Peugeot which kept breaking down to a 5 year old Benz E-Class
    If it was new it would have been under warranty.

Didn't 5 year old Mercs had a lot of quality problems with electrics and some such costing a fortune to fix?

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    I have 2 cars and neither are any good. The one I use down here is an old pug 206 that I bought off my cousin for £400 14 months ago. So far its cost me £140 for repairs to the brakes and the cost of a MOT and that's pretty much it. It looks sh1t and nicely lowers the tone at Beaconsfield train station where it lives.

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    he's been polishing the silver.
    Is that a euphemism? You lazy sod!

Leave a comment:

• rd409
    replied
    To go to the client site. To make sure that all the permies over there are not jealous of the leisure cars that are owned by contractors.

HTH.
    Dave.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    That's all very well, but doesn't the butler organise the MOT ?

HTH

DimPrawn
    No, I wouldn't let anyone else drive my contractormobile, especially not the butler after he's been polishing the silver.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    "Bangernomics".

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    I have a car that requires an MOT as a cost cutting measure introduced during the 2008-9 banking crisis. I 'downgraded' from a new Peugeot which kept breaking down to a 5 year old Benz E-Class and have decided I'll probably drive it until it dies, quite simply because I like it and it doesn't keep breaking down.
    That's all very well, but doesn't the butler organise the MOT ?

HTH

DimPrawn

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I have a car that requires an MOT as a cost cutting measure introduced during the 2008-9 banking crisis. I 'downgraded' from a new Peugeot which kept breaking down to a 5 year old Benz E-Class and have decided I'll probably drive it until it dies, quite simply because I like it and it doesn't keep breaking down.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    So you get the cheap option and then pay 500 pounds for unnecessary repairs, or pay 10 pounds more for the AA option and then pay 490 pounds for unnecessary repairs. They're all bloody conmen anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Un-believable discounts at Halfords Autocentre (Nationwide) on MOT for AA members.!!

You will not believe this...What AA members are getting from Half**ds Autocentre (Nationwide) ...!!

If you are NOT AA member MOT cost - £ 27.42
    If you claim to be a AA member MOT cost (after 'discount' ) - £ 36.75

Woooooooow...!! .......Un-believable........!!

Working...
X