• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "With 9/11 tenth anniversary upon us..."

Collapse

• sal626
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Probably because he would put that neo-con c0ck jockey Richard Perle in his place.
    Tariq Ali did a decent job of that…

I don’t know how Richard Perle can state with a straight face that If they hadn’t invaded Iraq and got rid of Saddam, the Egyptian people would never have toppled Mubarak.

I guess he forgot all the support the US gave Mubarak for 30 odd years…

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    Liam was in fact a Civilian Army Medical Officer after he graduated from Glasgow University - he was always very interested in Politics as well as the NHS - he also came 3rd in the last Tory leadership contest.

I think his background and talents put him in good stead for the Defence Secretary Post- one day he might yet be a Prime Minister.
    I recall you said you were acquainted, just always though if you have a GP in the cabinet you might want to use him for health matters during a time when surgeries are being given massive changes in working direction.

Maybe he just not want the gig, I think Fox is very capable though, has an element of cutting through the bullsheet not many have these days. High on trust stakes I would say.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Sorry but If I had the gumption to start a war based on flying planes into a building I would certainly not be flying them into the building next door to me.

Maybe they cocked up and the 'abort mission' button was wired to 'return to sender' instead of 'self-destruct'.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Three years before I'd stood on the top of one of them

I was there almost exactly one year prior (September 2000 for those without calculators).

Just glad big projects are always late.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Quite off topic but why does Dr Liam Fox not want the health job?

He obviously wants to be one million flu jab quality points away from the role.
    Liam was in fact a Civilian Army Medical Officer after he graduated from Glasgow University - he was always very interested in Politics as well as the NHS - he also came 3rd in the last Tory leadership contest.

I think his background and talents put him in good stead for the Defence Secretary Post- one day he might yet be a Prime Minister.
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 9 September 2011, 08:23.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Was chatting to a foreign mate on ICQ while staying at another mate's house about random stuff when she said "Have you seen it?" To which I replied "What?" She then replied "Put BBC news on". I did to see the plane go into the second tower.

I got a job offer later that day via email which had a link in it which when I clicked it took me to a infected server that infected my mate's computer. I then spent the rest of the day getting rid of the virus after phoning the company and informing them their server was ****ed.

The job was real and the worse one I've ever done due to really nasty people, though I did stay employed whilst everyone else I knew in IT and a few out of it was out of work for long periods.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    I was out of work at the time, was walking home from a web cafe (yeah really!) when my mate texted me and said one of the WTC buildings had collapsed. Three years before I'd stood on the top of one of them (south tower I think) when coaching soccer out in Long Island, so I really couldn't believe that they had collapsed. Until I watched the tv footage obviously.

Listened to 5Live tonight about Pat Tilman, who after 9/11 gave up a lucractive NFL career to fight in Afgahnistan then was KIA due to US friendly fire.

Its a strange old world.

qh

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    They're on heightened alert in New York, in readiness for the 10 year anniversary.

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    Had just finished a project in Dubai and was about to jet off to New York to work at my then permie clientco's US office. Not surprisingly, that never happened & I was out of work a couple of weeks later. Not that job security was the first thing that entered my mind as I watched it all unfold.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Quite off topic but why does Dr Liam Fox not want the health job?

He obviously wants to be one million flu jab quality points away from the role.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Question Time debates 11/9 tonight, with David Milliband ffs. Why not someone interesting like Galloway.
    Probably because he would put that neo-con c0ck jockey Richard Perle in his place.

Question Time marks 9/11 anniversary

Question Time, the BBC's premier political debate programme returns to BBC One on Thursday 8 September.

David Dimbleby will chair a special edition of the programme from London marking 10 years since the 9/11 attacks in the US.

The panel will include the Defence Secretary Dr Liam Fox and the former foreign secretary David Miliband.

The American political adviser, lobbyist and neo-con Richard Perle will also be on the panel together with the American-born British playwright and critic Bonnie Greer.

The panel will also include the anti-war campaigner Tariq Ali and Christina Schmid, the widow of Staff Sergeant Olaf Schmid, a bomb disposal expert who was killed while disarming an IED (Improvised Explosive Device) in Afghanistan in October 2009.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    For some reason everyone ese had gone home early and I was alone in the office, when a DBA from upstairs came to tell me about it.

We both watched on the BBC web site as the second plane hit.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Question Time debates 11/9 tonight, with David Milliband ffs. Why not someone interesting like Galloway.
    Fooker was my MP at the time.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    The blowing up of WTC7 is always a classic pile of crap.

"they did it to cover the tracks of the CIA who were in the building orchestrating the destruction of two massive buildings next door"

Sorry but If I had the gumption to start a war based on flying planes into a building I would certainly not be flying them into the building next door to me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X