• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Freeview!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Freeview!"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    In case anyone cares, NetFlix is meant to be coming to the UK soon, and has great online streaming... like LoveFilm but they actually have content worth watching.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
    I don't understand why five channels? The digital tuner should find 100-odd signals, many of them radio or rubbish, but more than five should be standard definition TV.
    It's 21 "channels", but obviously I don't count radio and "red button" stuff as a channel.

That's one out of the six multiplexes. Phase two in three weeks time is to turn off the rest of the analogue signal, and then I'll get four of the six multiplexes. They say I'll then get 16 SD channels, and four HD channels.

I could have had Freeview all along if I'd paid to have a big external aerial installed, but Sky was a free install so I just did that instead. Current aerial is actually inside the loft and points at the local relay, which is why all I've had through my aerial up to now is the four analogue channels, and in pretty poor quality at that.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I used to have sky. I would rather spend the money on a subscription to lovefilm tbh. Freeview / freesat is 99% rubbish.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Freeview is just pointless, I was using an old sky box with an old card for the bedroom and changed to freeview only when I got a new LCD TV, thinking of putting it back to sky now. You can still pick up a few free film channels which are great if you enjoy true life movies about battered wifes getting their lifes back together (channel 188)

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    A couple of weeks ago the TV where I'm staying during the week was constantly putting up messages saying I'd have to retune everything on aug 31st.

But I haven't bothered, and all the channels are still there.

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    As of today, five channels in glorious standard definition. The future is now!

(I've had Sky for nearly 8 years, so it's somewhat redundant).
    I don't understand why five channels? The digital tuner should find 100-odd signals, many of them radio or rubbish, but more than five should be standard definition TV.

There should be four high-definition channels. ITV HD may be useful during the rugby world cup, if your Sky tuners are insufficient for your needs. (I live in a flat so my Sky HD box has only one feed, having a Freeview HD tuner on an HTPC and another built into the TV is occasionally a useful supplement)

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    And when they were testing the HD transmissions way back when you could watch two images of a rugby match at the same time, side by side.
    They had that during Wimbledon this year, as part of 3D coverage... if you didn't have a 3D TV you just saw the two images.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    The wife and I are also giving up on Satellite and there's no cable where we live either. What freeview+ box do people recommend, I'd like something that can record.
    Most PVR's have Freeview built in, even my cheap one. I don't get High Definition channels on my old unit though.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    The wife and I are also giving up on Satellite and there's no cable where we live either. What freeview+ box do people recommend, I'd like something that can record.

Leave a comment:

• Cr1spy
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    First time I ever heard them saying 'If you have the red button on your remote, press it now', I did it, and it switched the ******* TV off......

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Red button is mostly only of interest to sports fans... during something like Wimbledon they can only show 1 or 2 matches on BBC 1/2 but on red button you can pick virtually any court. Similar with world cup.

Sometimes they show a video feed from Radio1 too - maybe other radio also. It's a great opportunity but not really used that well.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    One of the "red button" channels.

I use to have IPTV and didn't have access to the red button then one day found all the red button channels - and there was nothing on.
    First time I ever heard them saying 'If you have the red button on your remote, press it now', I did it, and it switched the ******* TV off......

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    See above, Re: nearly 8 years.

Actually it's 7 channels. I forgot BBC Parliament, and "301" whatever that is.
    One of the "red button" channels.

I use to have IPTV and didn't have access to the red button then one day found all the red button channels - and there was nothing on.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Just wait until you get Dave, etc. Not enough time in the day (or night) to watch it all.
    See above, Re: nearly 8 years.

Actually it's 7 channels. I forgot BBC Parliament, and "301" whatever that is.

I thought the plan was to switch off BBC2, and then replace it with a digital multiplex with the main four analogue channels. But what I have is the BBC multiplex, which means anybody else in switchover limbo has to switch between analogue and digital to view the four channels they had before.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Just wait until you get Dave, etc. Not enough time in the day (or night) to watch it all.
    It gets repeated ad nauseam anyway.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X