• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: SKA news

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "SKA news"

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    Ach, I like like winding you up alexi.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I will and I can because I have something shiny to look at with lots of shiny things. I own a house, you do not.

You are a Russian financial immigrant who split a job when you got a passport and lived off the tax payer for years.

I have said before you have cost this country more than you can give.

Sue me.

I'll dedicate a paragraph to you in my future book, will make sure I clear it with my lawyer first though.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I was just pointing out that it's doable.
    I said front end can run in parallel, obviously backend database (if it is used by front end) should be as scalable.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Honestly ATW if you ever want to sue me over my accusation that you are a dole scrounger I am very happy to go through with it, my name and lawyer are always on offer to yourself if I think you are actually capable of it.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I will and I can because I have something shiny to look at with lots of shiny things. I own a house, you do not.
    A shiny house? Weirdo.

Sue me.
    Hi Sue. I always figured you were a man.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I need to get back and do monthly invoices. Go look at something shiny ministrone.

You are a Russian financial immigrant who split a job when you got a passport and lived off the tax payer for years.

I have said before you have cost this country more than you can give.

Sue me.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I just had a chat with our network admin and you right, there can be more than 64k internal sockets provided there is enough memory to handle it, however I still maintain 1 mln calls per 1 sec would have more overheads than handling one call sending 140 MB.
    Yes I agree. But it was you who said that

Originally posted by you
    Front end stuff is very easy to run in parallel very cheaply
    I was just pointing out that it's doable.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    It just seemed like he meant a database table to me. Maybe he didn't. We should ask him.
    Well, let's assume he meant database, in this case I'd keep such data structures in memory and it won't be an issue to query them - there won't be a big delay reading 140 MB.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Pick out where I said MBs Alexi? 140 chars was my only data description you will find. Completely unable to understand basic quantities you are.
    Well, char for me in C# is 2 bytes, and in other times including database is 1 byte, if I wanted 2 bytes in DB then I'd expect some other term wchar (?).

Anyhow, I need to get back and do monthly invoices. Go look at something shiny ministrone.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    1 table with one text field of 140 chars if that gets accessed 1 million times in 1 second
    It does not say database here, text field can be in memcache or on disk.
    It just seemed like he meant a database table to me. Maybe he didn't. We should ask him.

If you keep 140 MB file in a database then you are an idiot.
    That depends. A lot of document management systems do just that. In my last gig I had to move ~15TB of files (10s of millions, some quite large) out of a database to a file system and provide multiple access paths to them. We gained a lot in ease of access but lost out in terms of being able to search the metadata, as FS metadata isn't really optimised for that.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    It does not say database here, text field can be in memcache or on disk.

If you keep 140 MB file in a database then you are an idiot.
    Pick out where I said MBs Alexi?

140 chars was my only data description you will find.

Completely unable to understand basic quantities you are.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    You only need one on the server side. Do you mean file descriptors?
    I just had a chat with our network admin and you right, there can be more than 64k internal sockets provided there is enough memory to handle it, however I still maintain 1 mln calls per 1 sec would have more overheads than handling one call sending 140 MB.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I think you opened up a SKA thread, told us twitter worked only half the time, reduced to 10% when pressed, argued 10% was a half.
    You can't trust AtW just because he sometimes sounds like he knows about technical issues. After all, as the saying goes, even a stopped clock is right half the time.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I think you'll run out of TCP/IP sockets.
    You only need one on the server side. Do you mean file descriptors?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Not if you get requests from 1/4 million unique IPs over TCP/IP.

Is it just me who thinks minestrone is an idiot?
    I think you opened up a SKA thread, told us twitter worked only half the time, reduced to 10% when pressed, argued 10% was a half.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X