• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What's the market like right now?"

Collapse

• matei
    replied
    It appears that there is work out there.

Permie-wise, I was able to score a decent paying permie gig about a year ago, and recently interviewed for one paying slightly more.

However I'm leaving permidom for a 3-month contract in the Big Smoke, according to clientco manager and agency bod that there is a very good chance at renewal.

Prior to getting this contract, I had a few calls for contracts based in/around London. Sounded legit, but I wasn't prepared to make the jump just yet.

The team I used to work with at one of my previous gigs was decimated recently by cost-cutting/outsourcing to Bobland. Almost all of them soon found gainful employment, a mix of contracts and permie roles. Granted, some of those guys were quite good at what they did - but even the mediocre team members found something.

The only ones who haven't are the relatively older and somewhat lazier guys. I'm sure at a push though they'd find something as well. At least for their sake I hope they do.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Rates are rising by the looks of it. Its proving hard to find interesting contracts but finding contracts is not difficult at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Market is pretty strong just now I find, few of the big hitters are on their usual 'hiring freeze' drives but those who are hiring are struggling to get experienced bodies in. The industry cheap fix of hiring bobs for the last 10 years rather than train local staff has strangled competition.

As zippy says, paranoid.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Yes, you are paranoid and the chances of you encountering this guy again are quite small.
    There are hundreds of recruitment businesses and some of them are actually quite good.
    Move on.
    WZS

Leave a comment:

• TiroFijo
    replied
    .NET = .NOT

Learn Java.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    If he's added you to the agency grey list then yes you're going to be blacklisted. Use the search facility on here to find how to get taken off.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    The head shouty, a hair-gelled tosser, was shouting only yesterday to some bloke on the phone that there is no such thing as a blacklist - and there isn't - it would require less shouting and more work and that'd never do.
    Its maintenance would also require recruiters to cooperate with each other, rather than stab each other in the back at the slightest sniff of a fiver. Whatever the reason for your lack of success, a blacklist isn't it.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Yes, you are paranoid and the chances of you encountering this guy again are quite small.
    There are hundreds of recruitment businesses and some of them are slightly less tulipe than others.
    Move on.
    Appropriate repairs administered.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    The market's tulipe at present.

Being placed near useless and shouty resourcing dept at clientco (posts passim) has been both ******* annoying and slightly informative.

The head shouty, a hair-gelled tosser, was shouting only yesterday to some bloke on the phone that there is no such thing as a blacklist - and there isn't - it would require less shouting and more work and that'd never do.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Wondering the same myself - different skillset though.

From past experience, there is normally a spike in roles in September and wondered if that is the case at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I have no idea what the market is like at the mo. I know nothing about .net

but I do know that when you are strugging to get an interview all sorts of worries cloud your mind. They are unfounded
    just stick at it, get methodical and develop a '**** you' attidude

good luck mate

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    There are hundreds of recruitment businesses and some of them are actually quite good.
    Move on.

Leave a comment:

• reach4thelasers
    started a topic What's the market like right now?

What's the market like right now?

I'm a highly experienced .NET developer but not getting any responses from my applications.

I had a big fall out with my last recruitment consultant who tried to withhold my pay for a month - resulting in him getting dragged down to the office and getting a total bollocking from the CEO who threatened him with dissolution of their professional relationship.

I'm kinda worried he blacklisted me or something out of spite. I've heard there's an underground illegal blacklist that all recruitment consultants share.

Or am I just being paranoid - is the market slow right now? I'm really worried to be honest with you.

Working...
X