• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contractor Friendly Accomodation in Glasgow........"

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by al_cam View Post
    I stayed there last October for our anniversary - it is really really nice - I would recommend it and my favourite Glasgow restaurant (Chardon d'or) is within staggering distance.
    I know I am tough on Glasgow and it has its faults but to stay in the Blythswood and have the Chardon d'or 1 minute away outclasses each and every other UK city outside London.

Manchester? Birmingham? Liverpool? Newcastle? Cardiff? Please. Dumps

Leave a comment:

• al_cam
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Not sure of the rates but the Blythswood Square is new and is pretty swanky. 5 miutes walk from central and fits in with the quality hotel thing women go for.
    I stayed there last October for our anniversary - it is really really nice - I would recommend it and my favourite Glasgow restaurant (Chardon d'or) is within staggering distance.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    I'll end up paying for the Grand Station by the looks of it. Although she's only getting it if I get a free Sky subscription from the friend she goes with tho.

If its the half price offer I got last year its going to be the Bellgrove.
    It is a pretty decent hotel now, the stair case freaks the lfe out of me with my vertigo though. Was in one of the private dining rooms this year and it is way above what it was before.

Had the biggest facade of any hotel for along time, Sinatra, Kelly & Bing Crosbie stayed there but Walt Disney

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Well if you are booking and not going I would advise the Bellgrove hotel, with the cost savings minus the 9mm she will have to buy for her safety (easily purchased in the local taverns) you can buy a Xmas present that you want.
    I'll end up paying for the Grand Station by the looks of it. Although she's only getting it if I get a free Sky subscription from the friend she goes with tho.

If its the half price offer I got last year its going to be the Bellgrove.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Looks awfully nice but as I'm not going I'm not paying that rate.
    Well if you are booking and not going I would advise the Bellgrove hotel, with the cost savings minus the 9mm she will have to buy for her safety (easily purchased in the local taverns) you can buy a Xmas present that you want.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Not sure of the rates but the Blythswood Square is new and is pretty swanky. 5 miutes walk from central and fits in with the quality hotel thing women go for.
    Looks awfully nice but as I'm not going I'm not paying that rate.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I know unfortunately my wife wants a decent hotel close to the shops or the station and I've tried most of the others over the years.

The only thing I've got to my advantage is that as East Coast don't go to Glasgow any more she will start and end up at Queen Street station.

Any ideas of other decent hotels will be happily accepted.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Fishface View Post
    Anyone know what Happened to th Pakistani Cafe in that old pub at Partick Cross - doomed again!!!

The underground is a hoot - boneshaker!
    Pakistani cafe and the crazy bullet proof vest wearing owner moved back to the south side, nothing ever works in that corner unit, I used to stay in a flat above it. Never rated the food to be honest as well.

That whole junction area is a death on retail business but probably has one of the highest pedestrian throughput outside the town.

7 spices across the road does a great pizza but you have to be drunk to buy one as the place looks like it should have been closed years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Fishface
    replied
    there is a Hilton at the top of Byres Road and I think Clyde Properties do short lets and probably most of the other agents on Byres Road.

Anywhere off Byres road is nice or up Hyndland. Lots to do around there - nice coffee in Tinderbox, nice places up Ashton Lane to eat and drink.

Anyone know what Happened to th Pakistani Cafe in that old pub at Partick Cross - doomed again!!!

The underground is a hoot - boneshaker!

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I used to drag the team there for the 5 quid carvery in there on Fridays before it got done up. Got a feel of the Shining the place. Pints used to be horrible now they painted the place, stuck a few pictures of Frank Sinatra and Gene Kelly on the walls, called it a Champage bar and they are asking nearly 5 quid for a bottle of Magners. The general area of Hope Street is not so appealing, lot of trouble there, the taxi rank opposite central is a bit of a magnet for trouble.
    I know unfortunately my wife wants a decent hotel close to the shops or the station and I've tried most of the others over the years.

The only thing I've got to my advantage is that as East Coast don't go to Glasgow any more she will start and end up at Queen Street station.

Any ideas of other decent hotels will be happily accepted.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    The Grand Central. Its not a cheap option my wife wants to stay there again for her Christmas shopping trip and I'm looking at £200 for two nights before breakfast.
    I used to drag the team there for the 5 quid carvery in there on Fridays before it got done up. Got a feel of the Shining the place. Pints used to be horrible now they painted the place, stuck a few pictures of Frank Sinatra and Gene Kelly on the walls, called it a Champage bar and they are asking nearly 5 quid for a bottle of Magners. The general area of Hope Street is not so appealing, lot of trouble there, the taxi rank opposite central is a bit of a magnet for trouble.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    The moral of this tale - don't go to Glasgow ...
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by RSoles View Post
    There is a hotel IN Glasgow Central Station. Never stayed there, forget the name. Part of a big chain.
    On my tours of duty in Glasgow I've either stayed out in Uddingston and taken the train into contral (10-15 minutes?) or stayed down by Castlemilk.

Glasgow's no less safe than any other city.
    The Grand Central. Its not a cheap option my wife wants to stay there again for her Christmas shopping trip and I'm looking at £200 for two nights before breakfast.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Speaking of Rutherglen I recall during my tenure in the South Side (1983-86) reading a horrendous story in the local press - some backpackers from Sweden had arrrived late at CStation and wanted to camp in Glasgow - they saw the name Rutherglen in a map and thought it sounded like a wooded area (no doubt because of the name Glen)

Anyway they duely arrived in Rutherglen - which is a concrete jungle with barely a tree in view - never mind a wood - and with darkness approaching camped up on a bit of grass near a high rise .

Sadly there campsite did not go unoticed by the local hoodlums who attacked their tent and robbed the occupants of almost all of ther possesions.

On the bright sdie the local residents immediately clubbed togther to make sure the Swedes were OK financially and could continue their journey - so there was a happy ending.

You see the Glasgow Citiizens are very big hearted and very frendly.

The moral of this tale
    - dont go camping in RuitherGlen ...
    I went to a wedding in the chapel on Rutherglen high street, everyone turned up late and about 20 of us men fired into the pub across the road for a quick drink, we got dragged out by the women in a one of those "put that drink down and get over here" moments, I went to the toilet and when I was leaving the locals had picked up all our half drank pints and were drinking out of them.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Then in 1987 whilst cycling down a very steep hill near Castlemilk ( a picturesque suburb in the South of Galsgow) a group of thugs in a car tried to ram me off my bicycle whsilst I was doing a high speed downhill - it was only because I managed to outwit them by continually swerving that you are able to read this sad tale.
    Ahhh Chateau du Lait. I do my occasional hill runs up there, by the time I get to Carmunnock I am half dead, then I get to Clarkston drink 3 bottles of lucozade from the shop and run through Eaglesham to the mearns and back down to Shawlands. A 19 mile run that feels like a 30 mile run with the hills.

Carmunnock to Castlemilk is an good example of exclusive area 2 fields away from tulip hole. If the Carmunnock residents do not get the kids into Williamwood or St Ninians they pay for St Aloysius or Hutchesons.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X