• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Why am I awake?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why am I awake?"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    I don't have insomnia, the problem is that for the last week or so my body clock has been marching to it's own drum, so my 6AM rise time has turned into 10 or 11 and I'm up till 2 or 3 every morning. Once I get to sleep I can manage a good 8 hours without difficulty, it's just that I can't do it when I want to.

It doesn't really matter at the moment but in a few days the family will be back from hols and I'll be forced to get up early again.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Boozing can mess up my sleep pattern for days.
    WHS.

Alcohol induced coma != restful sleep.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Boozing can mess up my sleep pattern for days.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    The only thing I've found over the years is to not go to bed if I'm not tired and/or ready.

The occasional lie in allows me to catch up on any extra sleep I need

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    This is how i've overcome this problem:

1/ Do a lot of exercise so you are physically exhausted at bedtime. An hour of focused exercise per day is plenty

2/ Leave work at 6pm

3/ Dont eat substantially after 7pm

4/ Dont look at the internet or anything mentally stimulating an hour before bed. The last hour before bed should be winding down and getting ready for the next stage of the day - sleep

5/ Glass of red wine in the evening will relax you

6/ Wake and go to bed at same time everyday

Now I sleep like a baby and I feel refreshed even though i'm doing 12 hour days reasonably often
    Addition to 4. Don't watch telly an hour before bed. The brain needs time to process the images.

I was also told not to read in bed, something I've done ever since I can remember. Bed is for sleeping, not reading, apparently. To be honest this tip doesn't work for me.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I often look forward to going to bed to watch something interesting that I've recorded on TV. I have to be careful, occasionally without success, to take off my glasses when I start to feel I am nodding off, which may only be 5 minutes in. Glasses and bed do not make good, erm, bedfellows. I'm currently trying to watch something about the Higgs boson and CERN, with Brian Cox, but sadly have only seen 5 minute sections and may have to watch it during the day. Anyway, it might be worth a go, though to be fair I think I might nod off pretty quickly anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Webcam at the ready?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Insomnia and stress (conscious and unconscious) go hand in hand. Unfortunately the contents of the unconscious are not always amenable to examination

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Nah, me and Chruchy had our proper ding dong a while ago we have and made up since then, well almost

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    When I cant sleep at all I just tend to listen to my wife talking about how her day went and it does to me.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Nope but he's still shagging my mother...
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    <Dr.Phil mode>

Are you worried about something?

</Dr.Phil mode>
    Nope but he's still shagging his mother...

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I can fall asleep sitting at my deskkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    <Dr.Phil mode>

Are you worried about something?

</Dr.Phil mode>

Leave a comment:

Working...