• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "permie at crossroads"

Collapse

• Xenophon
    replied
    Permie at crossroads...

...gets run over by a big lorry for being an indecisive plank.

Leave a comment:

• Emperor Dalek
    replied
    Yes, but Jabberwocky is still a Benny, the indefinite article, so to speak.

Leave a comment:

• Benny
    replied
    Originally posted by Jabberwocky
    Are you benny ?

Yes

Leave a comment:

• Benny
    replied
    Originally posted by Fleetwood
    As for the notice period, this can be reduced to nothing by one of the following methods. There are no doubt others.

a) Have a tommy at work under the desk.
    b) Call your boss a seeyouenntee.
    c) Touch a secretary's pert young breasts.
    d) Ostentatiously read a newspaper/a copy of Big Ones Special Older Woman/La Philosophie dans le Boudoir (delete as appropriate) all day long until marched from premises.

My advice to you Mr P. is resign and JFDI.

hth
    Oi find going out fer a spanner werks fer me

Leave a comment:

• Benny
    replied
    Oi've never seen Permie at the crossroads... nice Miss Diane says she's seen Ken Dodd but never seen no permie.. an she should know

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    agency's

F in "We did this yesterday" mode
    The problem with rote learning is that one doesn't get taught the foundations necessary to formulate the correct answers.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied

hth
    That's what I fantasise about when I'm not posting crap here.
    Excuse I'm off to touch etc... May be some time.

Leave a comment:

• Fleetwood
    replied
    It's in the agencies interest
    agency's

F in "We did this yesterday" mode

Leave a comment:

• Fleetwood
    replied
    As for the notice period, this can be reduced to nothing by one of the following methods. There are no doubt others.

a) Have a tommy at work under the desk.
    b) Call your boss a seeyouenntee.
    d) Ostentatiously read a newspaper/a copy of Big Ones Special Older Woman/La Philosophie dans le Boudoir (delete as appropriate) all day long until marched from premises.

My advice to you Mr P. is resign and JFDI.

hth

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Alternatively, and this is just a wild, out of the blue, top of my head suggestion......

Talk to your current employer and talk to the agency.

Get the contract offer first, dont commit to a firm start date at the interview, just say you need to confirm dates, if pressed tell them 6 weeks. Then wait for the offer and accept it.

Work out how much leave you have left, work out where that leaves your notice period and then knock of another couple of weeks. You're aiming for 6 weeks or less.

Talk to your boss and tell them you are leaving. Hand in your resignation letter with your target date in it. Tell them that your new job requires you to start as soon as possible and that you'd like to leave on the date you worked out earlier. If they say yes, no problem. If they say no ask them when they will let you leave, but be clear that unless they come up with a new date within a reasonable time you will still go on the day you proposed.

Now tell the agency you will be available on the working day after the date you have agreed with your boss. It's in the agencies interest to negotiate with the client and keep them sweet so they get their money.

As long as you talk to the parties involved and negotiate then a three month notice period is not really a problem. The process above worked for me, three months notice became 6 weeks everyone was happy.

Leave a comment:

• LazyFan
    replied
    Why ring up?

There is no need to play games with them.
    If you have to give 3 months notice then you can get out of that easy.

Get your contract sorted and signed up, make sure the Agency has to pay you weekly. Say you need it as you’re a first timer and because you’re going to:

Tell your permie company your off and pay them the remainder of your perm notice off so, you can leave straight away!
    You can afford to do this as of course you now have a nice new contact. Make sure it's six months so, you can adapt to contracting easier.

This way you leave on better terms than a nervous wreck, telling them it was too good an opportunity to turn down. Once in a lifetime and so on.

You never know, in six months you maybe able to return as a contractor. Never upset future clients

Leave a comment:

• janey
    replied
    Originally posted by Jabberwocky
    [f]art
    indeed!

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    Originally posted by janey
    Or in my case Powerbuilder! now there is a dying art!
    [f]art

Leave a comment:

• janey
    replied
    Originally posted by Gold Dalek
    No point in following the herd... .NET market will soon be flooded with cheap as chips Indians/ East Europeans etc....niche markets are where the serious stability / money is... best learn COBOL for a long term future

HTH
    Or in my case Powerbuilder! now there is a dying art!

Leave a comment:

• Gold Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by janey
    one thing is for sure... there are an abundance of job web sites to enter ".NET" into the search and hey presto you've answered your own question!!

*janey in "oh god not this question again" mode*
    No point in following the herd... .NET market will soon be flooded with cheap as chips Indians/ East Europeans etc....niche markets are where the serious stability / money is... best learn COBOL for a long term future

HTH

Leave a comment:

Working...
X