• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: GCSE results day

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "GCSE results day"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Good luck to all, have to give them some encouragement I guess. Scathing article about the whole process from an ex-head in the telegraph today.
    ONLY fair way is to do the grades based on percentages (top 10% get A's, next 20% get B's etc , kin A*'s my arse) that way, any differences in the standard of the exam year to year are eliminated. Course - it's the next 2 steps that actually might mean something, if we had jobs for anyone but doctors...
    Yeah fair if you go to a school that gives you teachers who are widely versed in the subject at hand.

In state secondary schools all teachers now have to have 2 subjects they can teach to under 16s. If you are a middling student you can very easily be assigned a teacher who is teaching their second subject so under that curve you would suffer.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    The wife has just told me he is not my son
    Well, then you can pimp him out with out any ethical issues.
    There is always a bright side.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    But then the politicians wouldn't be able to boast that they're improving edjumakashun standards.
    And on a more serious level, there is then no way to tell IF standards are better OR worse. Teaching methods are drastically different at primary school age than they once were, and it varies a great deal between countries too at what age kids start school.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Girl aged 5 passes GCSE maths:

BBC News - GCSE results: Deborah Thorpe aged 6 passes GCSE maths

Last year a boy of seven, Oscar Selby, from Surrey, received an A* in GCSE maths.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Good luck to all, have to give them some encouragement I guess. Scathing article about the whole process from an ex-head in the telegraph today.
    ONLY fair way is to do the grades based on percentages (top 10% get A's, next 20% get B's etc , kin A*'s my arse) that way, any differences in the standard of the exam year to year are eliminated. Course - it's the next 2 steps that actually might mean something, if we had jobs for anyone but doctors...
    But then the politicians wouldn't be able to boast that they're improving edjumakashun standards.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    where's the "Sexy GCSE's" link from Nick?

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Yes, this is the risk if you hold cuckold parties.

I bet you charged for entry though, being an agent.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    He's her son when he does well at school
    and your son when the police call at 1 o'clock in the morning

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    The sins of the fathers shall be visited upon the sons.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Did anyone's sprogs get a 'C'?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    2 A*, 4 As, 3Bs. All "hard subjects, A*s in Science subjects. Chip off the old block
    The sins of the fathers shall be visited upon the sons.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    Anyone else proud of their issue?

1 A*, 2 As, 7 Bs

Personally I'm sure they could have been better if Mark Zucherberg had never been born. :-)
    2 A*, 4 As, 3Bs. All "hard subjects, A*s in Science subjects. Chip off the old block

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    6A's and 6B's in addition to the A's in Maths and English she got last year. Obviously doesn't take after me - which is a good thing!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Another record-breaking year.

All shall have prizes.
    We must have the most over-qualified dole queue in the developed world.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X