• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Death to all squirrels"

Collapse

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    It sounds as if you combine killing animals with a job, for food and, primarily, fun.
    I do, probably through too much violence on TV and as a result of having him as my childhood hero

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    You don't deny you enjoy killing animals, the third list item and the one you have trouble with.

There's no good solution for India's tigers that I know of, except less breeding by Indians. What's your solution?
    I think that would make the Elephants happier too.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    No, it's not a job and I generally don't do it for food, although the odd pigeon kebab or fluffy bunny curry is alright

I don't live in India mate, so it's not a problem to me. How do you suggest the indians deal with it ? Throw it their young to avoid killing a poor animal ?
    You don't deny you enjoy killing animals, the third list item and the one you have trouble with.

There's no good solution for India's tigers that I know of, except less breeding by Indians. What's your solution?

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    When you say big, how big? I shot something that was about 5ft 7" and 700 yards away, does that count as big?
    As long as you ate it afterwards and didn't enjoy it, that would appear to be acceptable

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    It sounds as if you combine killing animals with a job, for food and, primarily, fun.

You think you've a problem with rabbits? What about India where the natives get eaten by tigers. An endangered and protected species. That's a problem.
    No, it's not a job and I generally don't do it for food, although the odd pigeon kebab or fluffy bunny curry is alright

I don't live in India mate, so it's not a problem to me. How do you suggest the indians deal with it ? Throw it their young to avoid killing a poor animal ?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
    Feck me, it's like a tree huggers love in around here......

Ever shot something big?
    When you say big, how big? I shot something that was about 5ft 7" and 700 yards away, does that count as big?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Well, I don't run around in camo gear shouting yeehaaaa while killing fwuffy wuffy bunnies if that's what you mean

OK, here is a real life example. In my daughter's horse field, the rabbits have to be disposed of. Horse steps in a rabbit hole, horse fractures leg, high percentage chance of horse being put down. So the rabbits get cleared. You can pretty much say the same for every field in the country. So if you consider shooting rabbits for that reason to be 'fun', then yes, I kill animals for fun.

Another example, local farmer keeps free range ducks and chickens. Any hint of foxes in the area (relatively rare here), and he goes out looking for them. He'll maybe give me a call and ask me to go out with him, which I will.

So, I don't go out to kill things to make necklaces out of their teeth and tell people about it in the pub. I do the occasional bit of 'pest control' and that will include squirrels, rabbits, rats, pigeons, foxes, deer (among other things).

You think you've a problem with rabbits? What about India where the natives get eaten by tigers. An endangered and protected species. That's a problem.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Hope that's not squirrel popcorn now

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    I distinguished between killing for food and killing for fun earlier, which you misrepresent above. The important distinction was the 'fun' aspect of killing, the sadistic aspect. To be absolute clear, a pest controller is not necessarily sadistic psycho as you imply above, nor is a man who kills an animal in self defence. There may be other legitimate killing scenarios, the important deviation from the majority of humanity is the enjoyment aspect. I did warn you that you would have trouble understanding that.
    I don't think at any point I said 'Hey Sue Ellen, Kill the squizzer. It'll be a right laugh' did I ? I told her to kill it with a spade or get someone to shoot it. I also referred to them as 'little ****ers' but that doesn't imply that I want to hold a squirrel torture session, does it ? I advised her to dispose of it or have it disposed of and mentioned two preferred methods.

I'll look back and check, and apologise if necessary, but I did not use the word FUN at any point.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    It's unlikely I would call a pest controller, and all the squirrels I've met have f-off'ed pretty damn quick. If there were a pest that might endanger health or be a long term problem, I could handle a squirrel.

Are you denying that you kill animals for fun?
    Well, I don't run around in camo gear shouting yeehaaaa while killing fwuffy wuffy bunnies if that's what you mean

OK, here is a real life example. In my daughter's horse field, the rabbits have to be disposed of. Horse steps in a rabbit hole, horse fractures leg, high percentage chance of horse being put down. So the rabbits get cleared. You can pretty much say the same for every field in the country. So if you consider shooting rabbits for that reason to be 'fun', then yes, I kill animals for fun.

Another example, local farmer keeps free range ducks and chickens. Any hint of foxes in the area (relatively rare here), and he goes out looking for them. He'll maybe give me a call and ask me to go out with him, which I will.

So, I don't go out to kill things to make necklaces out of their teeth and tell people about it in the pub. I do the occasional bit of 'pest control' and that will include squirrels, rabbits, rats, pigeons, foxes, deer (among other things).

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Possibly, but a FAR better solution than poisoning. A pest controller isn't going to tickle it to death or kill it by making it listen to Cliff Richard. It will most likely get trapped, sacked and get the 'spade' out of your view. It won't get a white gowned virgin singing a song while administering a painless sleep drug

Sorry, but that is the reality. In a suitable location it would get shot. In a domestic garden it may be trapped (in a lethal trap) or trapped (as in captured) and batted to death in the back of the van. Does that make the geezer who does the job a sadistic psycho ? Hardly.
    I distinguished between killing for food and killing for fun earlier, which you misrepresent above. The important distinction was the 'fun' aspect of killing, the sadistic aspect. To be absolute clear, a pest controller is not necessarily sadistic psycho as you imply above, nor is a man who kills an animal in self defence. There may be other legitimate killing scenarios, the important deviation from the majority of humanity is the enjoyment aspect. I did warn you that you would have trouble understanding that.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I'm not implying that you're squeamish or disabled. I'm implying that you have a pretty basic lack of understanding.

I'm not arguing with your long term solution. How would you deal with a squirrel under your floorboards ? They do not generally f-off when discovered. Most people would do what SueEllen has done, and phone a pest controller

The point is, vermin needs to be controlled and disposed of and therefore, someone has to do it. Would you have a protest at the pest controller after he does the job for you and call him a sadistic psycho ?
    It's unlikely I would call a pest controller, and all the squirrels I've met have f-off'ed pretty damn quick. If there were a pest that might endanger health or be a long term problem, I could handle a squirrel.

Are you denying that you kill animals for fun?

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I think he was upset by the hitting with the spade and shooting them comments.
    Possibly, but a FAR better solution than poisoning. A pest controller isn't going to tickle it to death or kill it by making it listen to Cliff Richard. It will most likely get trapped, sacked and get the 'spade' out of your view. It won't get a white gowned virgin singing a song while administering a painless sleep drug

Sorry, but that is the reality. In a suitable location it would get shot. In a domestic garden it may be trapped (in a lethal trap) or trapped (as in captured) and batted to death in the back of the van. Does that make the geezer who does the job a sadistic psycho ? Hardly.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

I'm not arguing with your long term solution. How would you deal with a squirrel under your floorboards ? They do not generally f-off when discovered. Most people would do what SueEllen has done, and phone a pest controller
    I think he was upset by the hitting with the spade and shooting them comments.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X