• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Stupid Agent

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Stupid Agent"

Collapse

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    No no no. Mike Hunt has a new assistant these days called Abigail Glabia.
    Does that scan?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    And his junior assistant, Mike Littoris.
    No no no. Mike Hunt has a new assistant these days called Abigail Glabia.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Here is a link to useful guide to tha business about references -

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...eferences.html

Leave a comment:

• Rabotnik
    replied
    I replied in another thread mentioning this, but I will do it here too since I hate agents so much

Just had a conversation with <mod snip> from Computer Futures and he asked for 2 references as part of an "SLA with the client", so I said I would have to check with my old bosses first, but he said he only needed their name and position, so I told him. Of course I thought that's all he needs since he has the company names from my CV, but in the moment I thought it could be a legit requirement from big companies.

I'm just moving from permie to contracting for the first time, so I am still learning the true depths these cretins will sink to.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    Always in a flap.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Back in my contracting days I always used to give the name of my reference as Mike Hunt.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Back in my contracting days I always used to give the name of my reference as Mike Hunt.
    Finally!

Passing my shift over to you - today is the day when village idiots were all out!!!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied

Leave a comment:

• darrenb
    replied
    Originally posted by TraceRacing View Post
    At the advanced stage on the interview cycle and agent (reputable, established agency) has requested references...so I supplied them...with a caveat that current employer can only be contacted after I hand in my notice... my mistake.
    If you're using a phrase like "reputable agency" it is not surprising that this kind of thing is going to fall on you from time to time.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Saw this in a shop window the other day:

Though I thought the title said 'colleague' rather than 'competition'.

Likewise on the American version of The Apprentice, I was almost shocked at the things they consider acceptable business practise. I don't recall the details now though.

The OP has had a wedgie.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I find it interesting that the general perception in Britain is that if someone does something that harms you in some way it's your own fault for not being enough of a ****.

It would explain why the place is so full of ***** anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    What would you do if an agent did that to you and it cost you a gig/permie role and the potential new gig fell through leaving you benched over a screw up like this?
    name and shame

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    I think whether the OP knew about the reason behind the references or not, what the agent did is beyond unacceptable.

What would you do if an agent did that to you and it cost you a gig/permie role and the potential new gig fell through leaving you benched over a screw up like this?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Sorry to say, but the apology email was probably included in the starter pack, along with the request reference script, when he joined the agency. Next time Rodders!

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Could be for SC purposes.....

It happened with me, current clientco needed all my SC refs and stuff and agent went straight to my previous manager, caused a little embarrassment...
    Details of clearances held are to be provided to authorised personnel only, usually the Security Officer at ClientCo. Even then it's usually just proof of address and a copy of your passport.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X