• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Training ?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Training ?"

Collapse

• Mustang
    replied
    Dont forget too that you can claim back any VAT paid on the course too when you put it through the company books.......

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Them's the rules as stated...

It obviously gets a bit subjective for technical training vaguely related to our usual occupations - I would have no problem with ITIL or Prince or SixSigma (God forbid I need that!) but would struggle to justify PHP if I only ever used it on my on website.

However, if investigated, you would have to prove the relevance: take flying lessons for example, then fail to routinley pilot yourself in pursuit of your business, you might be asked to make a further contribution to Gordon's coffers.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Malvolio,

Interesting point you make about a BIK in non-work related training. Consider this; I may want my company to diversify so if this is the case this wraps up pretty much any and all training as you can argue it's relevant to the future direction of the company?

Thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Just as an aside, the Practitioner's course is of little real world value. Foundation tells you the basics, Manager's proves you can talk about it, a few year's real world experience means you understand it and can apply it. ITIL is a holisitic solution so how can you be an expert in a tenth of it? Your money, of course, but I would go straight to Managers certificate myself.

Anyway, yes, YourCo can pay for any training, however if it is not directly in your line of work you treat it as a BIK on your SA form and pay the tax - it still means you pay a lot less for it. However if you are anything to do with service delivery, support, or change management, anything ITIL-related is clearly in your line of work.

Of course, inside IR35 none of that matters anyway. You're not, are you....

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by sugsy
    Limited company i am.
    In or out of IR35? Govt take the view that "if training is needed for the job, then the employer should provide it". So you need to be the employer...

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    My accountant said it was 'allowable' for furthering existing skills but not if the training is for new skills. All training can be claimed as a business expense if you are a Ltd Co, the allowable bit relates to the tax side of things.
    Isn't "the tax side of things" the question? What does it mean to say "you can claim it" if it doesn't mean "... against tax"?

Leave a comment:

• sugsy
    replied
    Limited company i am.

new skill it is

but needed to do my job.

its the practioners course for service incident management

Leave a comment:

• Phoenix
    replied
    And if it's required to carry out your current contract

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by sugsy
    Guys

ca you verify that i can calaim back the full cost of courses, i need to get on ITIL training and its over £1000 , clarification please ?

cheers !
    Is it only for the foundation course?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    My accountant said it was 'allowable' for furthering existing skills but not if the training is for new skills. All training can be claimed as a business expense if you are a Ltd Co, the allowable bit relates to the tax side of things.

Leave a comment:

• Davros
    replied
    Depends on your circumstances. Umbrella or own Ltd?

Leave a comment:

• sugsy
    started a topic Training ?

Training ?

Guys

ca you verify that i can calaim back the full cost of courses, i need to get on ITIL training and its over £1000 , clarification please ?

cheers !

Working...
X