• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dow Jones down 500 points."

Collapse

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Different scenario for C&W. I bought in for the divvy, took it and bailed straight out. They then decided that it was unsustainable, sacked the board and halved it. You do have to ensure that the business paying the divvy is paying from profit and not being stupid. Like C&W.

Standard Life is pretty consistent.

Dow down 600 points.
    Standard Life Posts 44% Leap In Profits, Seeing Strong Demand.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Well I have a fair amount of money in cash ISAs in case of emergency. I have this and last years stock ISA allowance to play with.
    In which case you are more likely to make a profit if you invest today compared with yesterday however the market could just as easily return to 4200 or 5400 at the moment and my concern is that the former is more likely than the latter.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Don't invest your war chest if you think you'll ever need it. You don't want to watch you £20,000 become £10,000 and need to pull it out to buy food.

If however you do really have spare cash wait a few weeks until either a central Bank announces more quantitative easing, the ECB makes a decision that sticks and the market has settled down for a few days. Personally I doubt that will be this year.
    Well I have a fair amount of money in cash ISAs in case of emergency. I have this and last years stock ISA allowance to play with.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Anybody got some solid indicators on when is a good time to buy in? I have a warchest ready to invest.
    Don't invest your war chest if you think you'll ever need it. You don't want to watch you £20,000 become £10,000 and need to pull it out to buy food.

If however you do really have spare cash wait a few weeks until either a central Bank announces more quantitative easing, the ECB makes a decision that sticks and the market has settled down for a few days. Personally I doubt that will be this year.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Whippy
    replied
    When Dimprawn arrives the day after the bottom and says he bought in yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I got in yesterday & Friday(bit early now obvious). £56k invested, worth £49500 at this exact moment. Looks like that'll slide down as well.

Just put a transfer in from another interest account for additional funds but not sure if I'll use it. Think I'll give 4800 a miss and wait for 4500 and below. I'm not overly concerned as the money is purely for playing on the stock market.

(Got one share which has is a small oil company which is expected to go to 36p. It's stayed at 12p since last week even though they've struck oil. The down market too strong for it)
    You can't win at the moment. I read in a couple of places yesterday that (if and it could be a big if) Elliot waves are correct and they are reading the charts correctly this correction could be very deep and very rapid. As such I'm uncertain enough to be happy to sit on my cash and wait a while.

I guess we'll have to wait until 2:30 to see how what the US really think.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Anybody got some solid indicators on when is a good time to buy in? I have a warchest ready to invest.
    When Dimprawn arrives the day after the bottom and says he bought in yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    I got in yesterday & Friday(bit early now obvious). £56k invested, worth £49500 at this exact moment. Looks like that'll slide down as well.

Just put a transfer in from another interest account for additional funds but not sure if I'll use it. Think I'll give 4800 a miss and wait for 4500 and below. I'm not overly concerned as the money is purely for playing on the stock market.

(Got one share which has is a small oil company which is expected to go to 36p. It's stayed at 12p since last week even though they've struck oil. The down market too strong for it)
    <cough>bollocks</cough>

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    give another 2 minutes and your buying opportunity of 4800 will appear.

I was thinking of buying at 4500 but as that looks like lunchtime I'm going to give it a miss.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Never underestimate them barrow boys.

Time they did the same tonight if it kicks off again. See the turk and bangladeshi response last night for inspiration.

It's the price you pay for living in a massive tuliphole alongside the scum-class. You have to be prepared to defend your family, homes, and businesses while the rozzers scratch their heads awaiting orders from above.

I bet baseball bat sales in the capital are soaring as we type. If they haven't all been looted by 'the enemy'.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Maybe the city boys are realising that law and order is merely a phrase and it requires respect and co-operation from the people to uphold it.

They can't rely on the police to protect them or their assets.

Maybe we'll see them out in their belt and braces later whacking scum over the head with their bottles of champers.
    I was working on a trading floor during the G8 riots in London. The stock market boys where photocopying £50 notes and chucking them out the window and giving them the

A group burst past security and started chanting at the bottom of reception. A dozen or so of the city boys jumped in the lifts, came down and then laid into the protestors giving them a good kicking before they turned tails and legged it. Never underestimate them barrow boys.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    4880 and dropping.

Someone's set fire to my share portfolio.
    give another 2 minutes and your buying opportunity of 4800 will appear.

I was thinking of buying at 4500 but as that looks like lunchtime I'm going to give it a miss.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Maybe the city boys are realising that law and order is merely a phrase and it requires respect and co-operation from the people to uphold it.

They can't rely on the police to protect them or their assets.

Maybe we'll see them out in their belt and braces later whacking scum over the head with their bottles of champers.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    4880 and dropping.

Someone's set fire to my share portfolio.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X