• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Are you prepared for Armegeddon?"

Collapse

• Craic
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    If communications crash, killing of long distance trade, historically speaking, pepper is the right investment. At one time literally worth its weight in gold.
    As an investment, not to be sneezed at.

Didn't the Romans pay their soldiers in salt - which is the derivation of the word 'salary'?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    If communications crash, killing of long distance trade, historically speaking, pepper is the right investment. At one time literally worth its weight in gold.

Leave a comment:

• Craic
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Two of those. No shares or property at the moment.

Looking to get a property when they become less silly in price. If my cash doesn't evaporate via dodgy bank, BOE printing, or rampant inflation (yet only pittance paid in interest ) by then.

With the way sterling is devaluing I may as well put half my wad on red or black and save some time.
    What about buying gold or silver or some precious commodity? If there is going to be inflation these should soar.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Craic View Post
    What are your assets? Cash, property, shares, cash?

Two of those. No shares or property at the moment.

Looking to get a property when they become less silly in price. If my cash doesn't evaporate via dodgy bank, BOE printing, or rampant inflation (yet only pittance paid in interest ) by then.

With the way sterling is devaluing I may as well put half my wad on red or black and save some time.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Craic View Post
    What are your assets?

Cash, property, shares, cash?

This is the only one you need (+ ammo).

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Craic
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    I wish this armageddon would hurry up. I just can't get motivated to do anything but surf all day.

Life's too easy when I have a warchest big enough to last 'a few years' at normal expenditure rate.

Come on bank, rob me of my life savings so I have the motiviation to get on with a Plan B.

I think if that did happen I'd:

a. spend my last 50 quid on a one-way easyjet flight to the mediterannean
    b. become a tramp, sleeping on the beach.
    c. get sloppy seconds shagging the pissed up birds on the sunloungers at 3am after stealing their half-eaten pizza.
    d. make some money during the day buying bottled water and magnum ice creams from the nearby shop and reselling at 100% markup to the sunbathers.

Now that's a plan.
    What are your assets?

Cash, property, shares, cash?

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    Blimey! I hope the Anderson shelter is fitted with an extractor fan.
    nope, just a biomass power generator

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Blimey! I hope the Anderson shelter is fitted with an extractor fan.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    I wish this armageddon would hurry up. I just can't get motivated to do anything but surf all day.

Life's too easy when I have a warchest big enough to last 'a few years' at normal expenditure rate.

Come on bank, rob me of my life savings so I have the motiviation to get on with a Plan B.

I think if that did happen I'd:

a. spend my last 50 quid on a one-way easyjet flight to the mediterannean
    b. become a tramp, sleeping on the beach.
    c. get sloppy seconds shagging the pissed up birds on the sunloungers at 3am after stealing their half-eaten pizza.
    d. make some money during the day buying bottled water and magnum ice creams from the nearby shop and reselling at 100% markup to the sunbathers.

Now that's a plan.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Yes, next!

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fallout-Game...2804338&sr=8-4

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Dilbert.com - The Official Dilbert Website with Scott Adams' color strips, Dilbert animation, mashups and more!

Leave a comment:

• Craic
    replied
    Are you a hoarder?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    http://www.shooters.co.uk/forms/Shot...ion%20form.pdf

Euro Shopper Baked Beans 410g - Euroshopper - Buy In Bulk - Premier Delivered - Your local online Supermarket & Grocery Delivery Service

http://berkeley.intel-research.net/arahimi/helmet/

Sorted!

Leave a comment:

• Craic
    started a topic Are you prepared for Armegeddon?

Are you prepared for Armegeddon?

What if some of the pundits are correct?

What if there is going to be a new Great Depression?

In the first credit crunch it was the banks that couldn't pay the money back to their creditiors so countries took over their debt for them and recapitalised them.

Now, howver, it is some countries who cannot pay those debts back.

Maybe the world isn't big enough, or doesn't have the will, to save them.

What then?

Do you have a nest egg tucked away?

Is it cash?

Is it in assets that would fall in value if the world economise collapsed?

Could you feed yourself and your family if the stock market and the housing market plunged in value and there were no jobs?

Working...
X