• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: NHS IT System

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "NHS IT System"

Collapse

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    I'm assuming you're not the one I know as my location and the 'Captain Pedantic' description would give away my identity to you
    Well neither are ringing any bells at the moment, and I don't recall any dealings with testers or testing in my time at BT

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    FTFY
    That too

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Not to my face
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Not to my knowledge
    I'm assuming you're not the one I know as my location and the 'Captain Pedantic' description would give away my identity to you

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    I actually know a 'Dave B' who worked on it. But can't be the same one as the one I know is a tossbag

Dave B - Have you ever been known as 'Captain Dave' or 'Captain Pedantic' on your previous roles ?

Not to my knowledge

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    I was in Leeds too, wonder who Dave B actually really is!!??

Could Be!

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    On the core of Spine which I worked on it was Solaris hosting Sun Directory Server/IdM for auth, Sun MQ for messaging, Oracle for DB and Sun App server for application. So Java courtesy of Mastek.

I actually enjoyed the role but it does make you wonder when you are contacted by the 'Contractor Missing Timesheets Manager' if you were late sumbitting yours...
    I actually know a 'Dave B' who worked on it. But can't be the same one as the one I know is a tossbag

Dave B - Have you ever been known as 'Captain Dave' or 'Captain Pedantic' on your previous roles ?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    What technologies where they using, MS,Java? A mix?
    On the core of Spine which I worked on it was Solaris hosting Sun Directory Server/IdM for auth, Sun MQ for messaging, Oracle for DB and Sun App server for application. So Java courtesy of Mastek.

I actually enjoyed the role but it does make you wonder when you are contacted by the 'Contractor Missing Timesheets Manager' if you were late sumbitting yours...

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I worked on this project for a while too. We delivered our little bit and it was top notch.

Dunno what they'll do with it now.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Most medical records are electronically stored now anyway at the surgery, they just had to link the places up with a messaging bus and asked the 8 or so companies that sell surgery patient care applications to agree on a data transfer standard.

But then that would have meant minimal cost to the taxpayer leaving the technical decisions to the experts who have worked on these systems for years.
    That is GP medical records. There is a project called GP2GP, which is doing (or is supposed to be doing - I haven't kept track) this.

Hospital records are considerably more complex.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Most medical records are electronically stored now anyway at the surgery, they just had to link the places up with a messaging bus and asked the 8 or so companies that sell surgery patient care applications to agree on a data transfer standard.

But then that would have meant minimal cost to the taxpayer leaving the technical decisions to the experts who have worked on these systems for years.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    I worked there for 18 months also. It was an 18 month non job as far as I could tell. There is only so many times you could wander about Leeds on your extended lunch times.
    I used to enjoy going for a wander along the canal from Granary Warf up to Armley and back. It was a nice stretch to walk along, quiet and leafy away from the traffic.
    Last edited by DaveB; 3 August 2011, 13:14.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
    They should've given the project to AtW. He'd have done it for £17.99 from the comfort of his sofa.....
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    What technologies where they using, MS,Java? A mix?

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    I worked there for a couple of years as well. By the time I left, just ahead of the big cull, I was submitting automated time sheets that were authorised by someone in Norwich I'd never met and who had no idea who I was or what I did, which were paid out of a budget held by someone else who I also never met, and which were never seen by the guys I actually worked for and who knew what I did.

Combine that with a policy that mandated hot desking and encouraged remote working and I could easily have gone on holiday for a month and been paid for it and no-one would have been any the wiser.
    I worked there for 18 months also. It was an 18 month non job as far as I could tell. There is only so many times you could wander about Leeds on your extended lunch times.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    I know I was in Halalifax at the time and used to meet up with them after work in Leeds for beers and watch them wipe the tears from their eyes as they left work. Partially from crying about what a tulip job they were involved in and partially tears of laughter as another timesheet got authorised......
    I worked there for a couple of years as well. By the time I left, just ahead of the big cull, I was submitting automated time sheets that were authorised by someone in Norwich I'd never met and who had no idea who I was or what I did, which were paid out of a budget held by someone else who I also never met, and which were never seen by the guys I actually worked for and who knew what I did.

Combine that with a policy that mandated hot desking and encouraged remote working and I could easily have gone on holiday for a month and been paid for it and no-one would have been any the wiser.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X