• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Bike for work

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bike for work"

Collapse

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
    If they are going to be locked all the time, then get rigid forks.
    Seems the most (if not all) mountain bikes come with front shocks these days. Can't say it's a development I'm happy with!

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Bugger.

So the canondale isn't available in my size on the sale site, so evans won't price match.

Q2.

I can get a 2011 spec rockhopper & a 2010 spec rockhopper comp for about the same price :

Specialized M4 fully manipulated alloy frame, fully butted, ORE DT, externally relieved HT, forged dropouts w/ replaceable derailleur hanger, disc only
    REAR SHOCK
    FORK
    RockShox Dart 3 SL, 80/100mm, 1 piece magnesium lower, alloy steerer, adj. reb. damping w/ LO and preload adj., size-specific spring rates, disc only
    HEADSET
    1-1/8" threadless, loose ball
    STEM
    3D forged alloy, 7 degree rise, 31.8mm clamp
    HANDLEBARS
    Butted alloy riserbar, 25mm rise, 660mm wide, 8 degree back sweep, 7 degree up sweep
    GRIPS
    Specialized Enduro, dual compound Kraton, no flange, 131mm
    FRONT BRAKE
    Avid BB5, mechanical disc, 160mm G2 Clean Sweep rotor
    REAR BRAKE
    Avid BB5, mechanical disc, 160mm G2 Clean Sweep rotor
    BRAKE LEVERS
    Avid FR-5, alloy, two-finger linear pull
    FRONT DERAILLEUR
    Shimano Altus, 34.9mm clamp
    REAR DERAILLEUR
    SRAM X-5, mid cage
    SHIFT LEVERS
    SRAM X4-R trigger
    CASSETTE
    SRAM PG-830, 8-speed, 11-32t
    CHAIN
    KMC X8 w/ reuseable Missing Link
    CRANKSET
    SR SunTour, Octalink spline
    CHAINRINGS
    42S x 32S x 22S replaceable
    BOTTOM BRACKET
    Shimano BB-ES25, Octalink spline, cartridge bearing, 68mm x 118mm
    PEDALS
    Steel cage, composite body, 9/16"
    RIMS
    Alex RHD 26", pinned, alloy double wall, eyelets, 28h front and 32h rear
    FRONT HUB
    Forged alloy, hi/low flange, double sealed, ground race, machined disc mount, 32h
    REAR HUB
    Forged alloy, double sealed, ground race, machined disc mount, cassette, 32h
    SPOKES
    2mm (14g) stainless
    FRONT TIRE
    Specialized Fast Trak LK Sport, 26x2.0", 60TPI, wire bead
    REAR TIRE
    Specialized Fast Trak LK Sport, 26x2.0", 60TPI, wire bead
    INNER TUBES
    Schraeder valve
    SADDLE
    Specialized Rockhopper XC, Body Geometry, 143mm width, front and rear bumpers
    SEATPOST
    Alloy two bolt, 12.5mm offset, micro adjust, 30.9mm

FRAME Specialized M4 fully manipulated alloy frame, fully butted, externally relieved HT, forged dropouts w/ replaceable derailleur hanger, disc only
    FORK SR Suntour SF11-XCR-DS-26-LO-SP, mag. lower, 30mm steel stanchions, hyd. damping w/ lock out and custom tuned spike valve
    HEADSET 1-1/8" threadless, loose ball
    STEM 3D forged alloy, 7 degree rise, 31.8mm clamp
    HANDLEBARS Butted alloy riserbar, 25mm rise, 8 degree back sweep, 6 degree up
    GRIPS Specialized Enduro, dual compound Kraton, no flange, 131mm
    FRONT BRAKE Avid BB5, mechanical disc, 160mm G2 Clean Sweep rotor
    REAR BRAKE Avid BB5, mechanical disc, 160mm G2 Clean Sweep rotor
    BRAKE LEVERS Alloy, linear pull
    FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Altus, 34.9mm clamp
    REAR DERAILLEUR SRAM X.5 8sp Mid cage
    SHIFT LEVERS SRAM X.4 trigger
    CASSETTE SRAM PG-830, 8-speed, 11-32t
    CHAIN KMC X8 w/ reusable Missing Link
    CRANKSET SR SunTour, Octalink spline
    CHAINRINGS 42S x 32S x 22S replaceable
    BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano BB-ES25, Octalink spline, cartridge bearing, 68mm x 118mm
    PEDALS Plastic platform, toe-clip compatible, reflectors, 9/16"
    RIMS Alex RHD 26", alloy double wall, pinned w/eyelets
    FRONT HUB Forged alloy, hi/low flange, double sealed, ground race, machined disc mount and flange, QR, 28h
    REAR HUB Forged alloy, mid flange, double sealed, ground race, machined disc mount and flanges, cassette, QR, 32h
    SPOKES 2mm (14g) stainless
    FRONT TIRE Specialized The Captain Sport, 26x2.0", 60TPI, wire bead
    REAR TIRE Specialized The Captain Sport, 26x2.0", 60TPI, wire bead
    INNER TUBES Presta valve
    SADDLE Specialized Rockhopper XC, Body Geometry, 143mm width, front and rear bumpers
    SEATPOST Alloy two bolt, 12.5mm offset, micro adjust, 30.9mm

Whaddya reckon?

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied

Got one of these babies, so have avoided the inevitable titanium kneejoints I would have had surgically implanted if I carried on doing the commute with a mountain bike to do the 30 mile daily run to the clientco.

I'm no cyclist officianado, but the difference from mountain bike to road bike is extraordinary.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    thanks, makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• JamJarST
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    excuse my ignorance but why?
    Well it adds unnecessary weight, is poor quality at that spec and takes away some of your pedalling power unless you lock it out which negates the benefit anyway. If you were going to do some real offroad rideing then fine, but it is only a 75mm travel fork anyway so pretty rubbish for that too.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    excuse my ignorance but why?

Leave a comment:

• JamJarST
    replied
    I used to have a Globe back before Specialized split the range into sit up & beg and slight off road.

Advised by my local bike shop (Stows which seem to employ enthusiasts) that this was the closest replacement and I explained what I was going to ride on. The shocks would probably spend most of the time locked off, I like a hard ride.
    If they are going to be locked all the time, then get rigid forks.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I used to have a Globe back before Specialized split the range into sit up & beg and slight off road.

Advised by my local bike shop (Stows which seem to employ enthusiasts) that this was the closest replacement and I explained what I was going to ride on. The shocks would probably spend most of the time locked off, I like a hard ride.

Leave a comment:

• JamJarST
    replied
    Good to hear about your full conversion to capitalism.

Looks like I killed another thread.

Anyone have any comments on the Specialized crosstrail?
    Nothing wrong with it per se, but why do you want a bike with a suspension fork (only 75mm travel at that) for towpaths and road?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Good to hear about your full conversion to capitalism.

Looks like I killed another thread.

Anyone have any comments on the Specialized crosstrail?

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Snaw good to hear you are still about, how are you finding the lefty politics in Singapore? They helping the poor and looking after the little man? Oh sorry they are a bunch of capitalists I bet you hate it there?
    Nope, couldn't give a toss - it's not my country, they can govern it any way they want, the locals don't give a sh!t anyway, all they're interested in is making money (Suits me, I'm raking more in here permie than I ever did as a contractor in the UK). There's a bit of a backlash against foreigners coming in, taking all the juicy jobs, getting paid too much money and causing the pricing of housing to go up.

It works generally, I do shudder at some of the things I see here, but the locals accept it,when in Rome. Plus I do give my maid a day off a week, unlike a lot of the locals who give them nada and send them out at 11pm to clean the car when their work in the house is done for the day

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I'm seriously considering a crosstrail. I had a Globe with the naff round pedals but some thieving tyke nicked it. Yes and before you ask IT WAS LOCKED UP they cut the leash and took it with them Barstewards.

(Sorry its the first question everyone seems to ask, No I didn't say to the Plastic Police I reported it to "Yes I left a £400 bike unlocked because I believe you solve all crimes instantly just like you did with the three burglaries and the trailer theft which coincided with the circus leaving - where all I got was a crime number - oh are those doughnuts in your Tesco bag? Would have thought as you are on duty you didn't have time to go shopping?")

Loved my Globe it just kept ticking regardless of how I abused it. So its Specialized all the way.

Anyone want to convince me a crosstrail is a bad idea for towpath & road about 10 miles a day and 6ft / 18stone -yes there is a lot of me to love! advice appreciated.

Snaw good to hear you are still about, how are you finding the lefty politics in Singapore? They helping the poor and looking after the little man? Oh sorry they are a bunch of capitalists I bet you hate it there?

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    I've got a Rockhopper - a few years old now - very happy with it. I don't use it for road riding, but you can lock the forks for road use.
    Me too, a 2006 pro. Cost about £350 on Ebay, needed new brake pads, and about two hours worth of servicing.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I've got a Rockhopper - a few years old now - very happy with it. I don't use it for road riding, but you can lock the forks for road use.

Leave a comment:

• JamJarST
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    Umm, I miss the variety and frequency of decent live music, mates (Obviously), and that's genuinely about it. Life really is great out here, not perfect, but if you've a young family it's not too far off it (Apart from Singapore drivers, they're selfish, moronic twats).
    I love Singapore and I would move their in a heartbeat. May well do so when my daughter is a bit older and can visit me for longer than a weekend.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X