• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Attention Plebs

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Attention Plebs"

Collapse

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    When this happens if you are have paid for a full class season ticket, you can claim a refund of the difference between First and Standard class travel for the affected part of the journey.
    The whole point of first class is that you get a pleasant journey especially when it's busy - that's the whole damn idea. First class is a waste of money if the train is half empty.

And since the 'affected part' is probably a relatively short distance compared to the overall journey, it probably means you get a refund of a few pounds.

So they're making you pay through the nose for the occasions when you don't need it, yet not allowing you the benefits of it when you really need it.

That would be like an insurer revoking your cover on the hour you were burgled, but offering you a refund on your premiums for those 60 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by craig1 View Post
    Thankfully, the East Anglia line has a strict no-encroachment policy for first class travel. I've seen more than a few arguments between conductors and lower-class travellers standing in the doorways of first class carriages. Even on the standard commuter cars rather than intercity trains there is robust enforcement with regular plain clothes "raids" on ticket evasion in first class. There are no busy train exemptions.

Quite right too... I pay a small fortune for my first class ticket to essentially guarantee me a seat and some peace and quiet, especially on the morning commutes. It's quite amusing listening to the tuts and harrumphs from the other first class ticket holders when someone is rude enough to have a loud conversation.

Transpeninne do this :
    When the conductor says the train is declassified what does this mean?
    Sometimes, particularly at peak travelling times, we are unable to provide enough space in Standard class for the many customers who wish to use our services. At such times, the Conductor may decide that for the particularly busy part of that journey customers can sit anywhere on the train. This is called 'declassifying' the train. When this happens if you are have paid for a full class season ticket, you can claim a refund of the difference between First and Standard class travel for the affected part of the journey. This can be claimed as a cash refund by visiting the retail outlet that issued your ticket or by sending a copy of your season ticket to our Customer Relations Team for a refund in Rail Travel Vouchers.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Rail travel has gone to the dogs since they made it illegal to throw the oiks off the train on a whim.
    Good man.

But I put it down to changing the name "Second Class" to "Standard Class", and getting rid of Third Class. The plebs no longer appreciate their station in life (pardon the pun).

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Train? WTF is a train?

Is this something common people use?
    I told him he'd regret letting the AS355 go.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Train? WTF is a train?

Is this something common people use?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Rail travel has gone to the dogs since they made it illegal to throw the oiks off the train on a whim.

Leave a comment:

• craig1
    replied
    Thankfully, the East Anglia line has a strict no-encroachment policy for first class travel. I've seen more than a few arguments between conductors and lower-class travellers standing in the doorways of first class carriages. Even on the standard commuter cars rather than intercity trains there is robust enforcement with regular plain clothes "raids" on ticket evasion in first class. There are no busy train exemptions.

Quite right too... I pay a small fortune for my first class ticket to essentially guarantee me a seat and some peace and quiet, especially on the morning commutes. It's quite amusing listening to the tuts and harrumphs from the other first class ticket holders when someone is rude enough to have a loud conversation.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Plebs from second class are insufferable. Did you summon the Guard?
    I wish

Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Even if the train is full they should still not use First Class without a valid ticket
    One of the pleasures in FC membership is watching the lower social orders standing
    Trans-pennine express seem to have a no enforcement policy once the train reaches a point where the guard can't physically get down the train.
    Unfortunatly seeing as how first and standard are connected by an unlocked door there isn't much they can do.
    Although making sure the trains are ontime and the correct length does seem to help! I've also been assured that it is possible to reclaim the first class portion of the ticket when the train is that full

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Even if the train is full they should still not use First Class without a valid ticket
    One of the pleasures in FC membership is watching the lower social orders standing

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    WTF were they doing on your private train anyway.

Good heavens man. Tell your driver not to slow down at stations.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Plebs from second class are insufferable. Did you summon the Guard?

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    started a topic Attention Plebs

Attention Plebs

If the train is so full that you must use first class then at least have the decency to:
    1: Give seating priority to pregnant ladies and not make them stand for 20 minutes in a crowded and hot carriage. *
    2: Piss off once there is space in the rest of the train

* I was stood at the other end of the carriage and so unable to assist

Working...
X