• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why, why, why would you tick the publicity box?"

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    This is quite a tame thread, you want to go and have a visit to ARRSE...

fat ****ers win lottery

NSFW

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    It could only be the Daily Mail...

Mind you further down in the article

Now that's what you call house price inflation...
    :

Largs is a nice place to be honest, most of my friends are from there, their parents own massive floating gin palaces at the marina. You could not get radio down there because of the Haylie Brae so Duran Duran are still a big sellers in the local LP shops.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    The area has gone upmarket since they won the money.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Begging letters have already started pouring through the letterbox of their modest £180,000 three-bedroom home in Largs, Ayrshire.

Mind you further down in the article

They suggested they will keep their £200,000 ‘nice wee house’ with three bedrooms

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Whippy
    replied
    Hate to be their postman next week. I think they can quite literally expect sackfuls of begging letters.
    The letters have started arriving

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by Magic View Post
    Monaco has to be high on the list
    I would be prepared to bet that last week they would have said that tax exiles were the scum of the Earth and that the rich should be squeezed until the pips squeak.

I wonder how quickly they'll change their tune...

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Hate to be their postman next week. I think they can quite literally expect sackfuls of begging letters.

Something I noticed is that this is the first time a rollover lottery jackpot as gone down from the previous draw. If they had won it last Friday, they would have won £3m more.

This is because the jackpot was capped at E185m. The jackpot fund is in Euro's but it is translated to £ at the time of the draw, so because the Euro weakened between Friday and Tuesday, they 'lost' 3m - all due to the concerns over Greece/Euro etc.

I suppose this happens all the time - the rollover prize fund fluctuates but because it increases with each draw, we don't notice it so much.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    This has, died penniless, alone and an alcoholic written all over it in 5 years.

That'd be some burn rate (over 2.6mil a month) but what a way to go. A real life Brewster's Millions.

I expect he's going to learn the value of money pretty soon. Once all those super-fit gold diggers track him down. I expect Imogen Thomas is relocating as we type.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    The husband said he'd had a glass of white wine to celebrate, and he normally only drinks one at Christmas.

I think it's safe to assume that £160 million will last them both a very, very long time.
    This has, died penniless, alone and an alcoholic written all over it in 5 years.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Whippy
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    She chipped in quite quickly - "I will be swapping cars." Good on her!
    Probably going to upgrade to a 1 year old Suzuki.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
    "They suggested they will keep their £200,000 ‘nice wee house’ with three bedrooms as their main home – and Mr Weir even said he could see no reason to replace their cars, two bargain-priced Suzukis five and three years old.
    ‘I don’t think we’ll be immediately swapping cars,’ he said. ‘If you’ve got reliable cars, what’s the point?’"

She chipped in quite quickly - "I will be swapping cars." Good on her!

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Whippy
    replied
    "They suggested they will keep their £200,000 ‘nice wee house’ with three bedrooms as their main home – and Mr Weir even said he could see no reason to replace their cars, two bargain-priced Suzukis five and three years old.
    ‘I don’t think we’ll be immediately swapping cars,’ he said. ‘If you’ve got reliable cars, what’s the point?’"

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    The husband said he'd had a glass of white wine to celebrate, and he normally only drinks one at Christmas.

I think it's safe to assume that £160 million will last them both a very, very long time.

Leave a comment:

• Magic
    replied
    They're both fat. But one thing that struck me is that they (especially he) looks younger than his reported 64 years. I guess the fat smooths out the wrinkles. Think they're fairly well matched looks-wise and sounded like a nice couple when I heard them interviewed on the telly. Good luck to them.
    Will they spend the money on improving there health?

If they have sense they will, even if it is a million bucks a piece that is still small change in order to being able to live a better quality of life.

Nowhere near as bad as them but if I had won, first things on my list would be to hire for a year:
    Dietian
    Chef
    Fitness instructor

Also put the whole family through a thorough medical and get sorted any of those issues out.

Next:
    Where to move to because you are going to have so many low life (banks at the top of the list) trying to take that money off you it would be untrue. Monaco has to be high on the list, certainly an improved weather climate.

However I would never tick or agree to that publicity box, that is just plain stupid.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    They're both fat. But one thing that struck me is that they (especially he) looks younger than his reported 64 years. I guess the fat smooths out the wrinkles. Think they're fairly well matched looks-wise and sounded like a nice couple when I heard them interviewed on the telly. Good luck to them.
    They did come across as a nice couple. My first thought for them was that personally I wouldn't go public in case some lunatic attempted to kidnap me or the wife and hold one of us ransom, my second thought was I'm going to need a car with a bigger boot.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X