• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A question for the women on the forum"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Did I tell you my house is worth an estimated £1.3 million?
    Repeatedly. Did you derive that valuation using one of your fabled computer models?
    Wandsworth wasn't it?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Watching movies is one of my favourite things and I have no shame in saying I want a bigger screen than my 46 inch lcd.

It is one thing sitting down to an evening film on a big screen another to be sitting wired to Jeremy Kyle whilst smoking benny hedhogs and drinking cider all day.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Agree TW but its far easier to get into the action with a 50" tv that fills your vision than a 26" which the surround hits your periphery.

I look forward to 3D touch TV, though I bet the first general release has Ron Jeremy in it.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    About time they sorted out TV spectacles, not seen them for while, but I haven't been looking.
    I won't be splashing out until CAVE technology is perfected.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    About time they sorted out TV spectacles, not seen them for while, but I haven't been looking.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    The reason to have a Big high quality TV is so I can watch High quality movies with the family. A big TV & decent sound allows you to immerse yourself in it properly.

50" is just right for our lounge, but if it were 20-30ft then 100" would be right.
    Total immersion isn't possible with a flat wall, because we can see slightly behind our heads (190 degrees) in the horizontal plane. So a TV should be curved and, if circular, be twice as wide as your are from it. But HD quality isn't up to TVs that size and they've have to use wider angled TV camera lenses. And some digging will be involved for the vertical plane.

For a flat TV and smaller angles (where the distance to the TV is much bigger than the TV) TVsize = viewingDist * tan(theta/2), where theta is your preferred viewing angle (immersive experience). Even at 90 degrees (less than half our visual field in the horizontal plane) that's a TV as wide as you are from it. Doable - as long as you like sitting close to the TV!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    The reason to have a Big high quality TV is so I can watch High quality movies with the family. A big TV & decent sound allows you to immerse yourself in it properly.

50" is just right for our lounge, but if it were 20-30ft then 100" would be right.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Will keep the congregation updated. As I'm sure they already know
    Good luck Micho. We look forward to the updates.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    I had to give my old 47" TV to my parents when I moved into an apartment that was barely larger than a hamster cage. One of the drawbacks of contracting in areas where property is either thin on the ground or expensive up the ass.

Now I've moved to somewhere a bit more palacial, I can now swing two cats around if I desire, they won't give it back.

Had to buy a new 50" plasma.

Cheap as chips these days, so the chav comment may be right. I paid a quarter of the amount for the 50" as it cost for the 47". The prices have come down lots in the last 3 years or so.

HD is a con though. Many times I watch a blu-ray (rented or bought) and think that is not much better than the DVD upscaled, due to either poor quality master or piss poor transfer by the studio. I'm well aware the first few editions are crap so they can eventually do an 'Ultimate' edition that is how the first edition should have looked. See LOTR Extended Edition quality over theatrical release quality for a prime example. Both are on blu-ray so should be identical apart from the extra footage in the EE edition. The EE version is ~50 quid with the TR version ~15. Con merchants the lot of them.
    I agree with that but it is down to the poor quality ‘print’ to HD. I am using full HD home video and the quality knocks spots off any bought or rented HD video.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Good stuff, go for it. And all the very best!
    Will keep the congregation updated. As I'm sure they already know

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    I want a medal in the discus and I believe I can get one.
    Good stuff, go for it. And all the very best!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied

You'll be sorry...

But seriously, out with a swansong, eh?
    I want a medal in the discus and I believe I can get one.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied

You'll be sorry...

But seriously, out with a swansong, eh?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    You're going to be even fatter if you're ever injured and can't maintain that training.

At your age I'd start to cut down on the troughing and training in equal measure.

Buy yourself a decent TV, a PS3 or an XBox and become a lardarse like the rest of us.

For future hints and tips have a look at MFs blog - FatLardyArse.blog.com
    No thanks. Championships 2012

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Monday evening, bike ride or running then dinner.
    Tuesday evening, athletics club or rugby club, then dinner.
    Wednesday evening, weights training then dinner.
    Thursday evening, athletics club or rugby club, then dinner.
    Friday evening, weights training then out to dinner in restaurant.
    Saturday evening, nothing worth watching on TV.
    Sunday;rugby match or athletics meet, then drinkies at the club, then bed.

No need for a big TV.
    You're going to be even fatter if you're ever injured and can't maintain that training.

At your age I'd start to cut down on the troughing and training in equal measure.

Buy yourself a decent TV, a PS3 or an XBox and become a lardarse like the rest of us.

For future hints and tips have a look at MFs blog - FatLardyArse.blog.com

Leave a comment:

Working...
X