• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Feeding the wee birds"

Collapse

• Mason Boyne
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I used to keep a pot noodle tub next to the sink, any scraps of fatty food, bacon rind, cheese or bread went into it. When it was full, I poured fat into it then hung it upside down on our tree.

Only the little colourful birds could get at it by hanging upside down from the rim. which was nice as I picked them off, one by one with my air-rifle.

ftfy

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I used to keep a pot noodle tub next to the sink, any scraps of fatty food, bacon rind, cheese or bread went into it. When it was full, I poured fat into it then hung it upside down on our tree.

Only the little colourful birds could get at it by hanging upside down from the rim. which was nice

Leave a comment:

• Mason Boyne
    replied
    I blame global warming!

Actually I haven't got a clue what this topic is about - no change there, ed. But I saw PJClarke had posted so I assumed it was about the AGW morons/nice people*

*Delete as appropriate.

Btw, I know it's about birds. We have a friendly couple of magpies who like to steal bits of tree from the balcony.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    We also get bats as well.
    We used to have one of those come to visit. Bloody great beast she was. Drank all the brandy and sherry and never stopped complaining.
    Don't see so much of her these days as my Father-in-Law can't afford the petrol prices.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    I agree about the Niger seed and bullfinches.

The missus has an array of bird feeders. Where we have just moved to we have green woodpeckers (which are quite large and very striking), spotted (smaller woodpeckers), jays, the usual finches, t1ts and "normal" birds.

We also get lots of buzzards - they circle the lake close to our house - there must have been a flock of 50 of them last week, high up just doing circles.

We also get bats as well. Just the small ones mind - they come out at dusk and fly around the garden.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    You need to be careful or you'll end up with fat birds.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Yep, I feed em fat balls.
    Are we still talking about the winged creatures?

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Yep, I feed em fat balls.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Not required

Not sure about such a situation fun as it is.
    Give it 10 years CH. No point rushing to judgment.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    ...get some vitamins down you!
    Not required

Not sure about such a situation fun as it is.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Unbelievable and I'm not joking

But, she just wants to be friends with benefits. Dream come true or odd?
    Perhaps your lack of duvet-cover-putting-on-skills made her doubt your intentions around settling down. Dream come true by the sounds of it - get some vitamins down you!

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Sheesh.

Forget the birds.

How was the shagging?
    Unbelievable and I'm not joking

But, she just wants to be friends with benefits. Dream come true or odd?

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Sheesh.

Forget the birds.

How was the shagging?

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    started a topic Feeding the wee birds

Feeding the wee birds

I bought a couple of bird feeders to hang outside of one of the living room windows, one with seed the other with peanuts. I like to see the variety of birds that arrive to feed constantly (even get woodpeckers which are colourful). I thought by putting out the feeders in the summer the birds will get used to visiting so come winter if it's been as severe as the last two here then I'd be doing my bit to keep a few of them alive.

A Kg of peanuts will last for a couple of weeks however the seed just disappears, so much so I just bought 10 Kg which will last for a couple of weeks given the current consumption

Expensive hobby and now that I've started I'll run with it. Anybody else do this?

Working...
X