• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Euromillions jackpot - EUR154M tonight"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    You quite often see people saying they can cook as well as expensive restaurants. Apart from the obvious BS factor their are two considerations IMO:

1)You cooked it so you're proud of it and that has a big impact
    2)Cooking for one meal and cooking for a whole restaurant while staggering everything is very different
    #2 is a very valid point, even working as a short order chef in a greasy spoon requires a level of planning and coordination above and beyond all but the most complex domestic meals. Most domestic cooks would be out of their depth in a restaurant kitchen.

But, I wouldn't say that they can't cook better than chefs in restaurants.

A bit of technique goes a long way. I have some friends who have trained as and worked as chefs in the past, and I would say that their cooking is as good as 90% of restaurants, and probably not because they are among the top 10% of chefs. Anyone can learn to cook well, and learn to cook different cuisines. Someone that loves food and cooking will be constantly learning new things, trying to cook new dishes, sampling the work of others, trying ideas of their own and so on. I personally have made a number of holidays to e.g. Japan, Italy, Thailand where sampling the food & even taking cookery courses was part of the reason for going. Most (not all, obviously) people that work in restaurants are preparing a small part of the menu, often the same dishes over and over for weeks at a time, and are quite probably bored to tulip by cooking when they knock off.

Also, with simpler dishes especially raw ingredients are the biggest influence on the quality of the end result.

In London in particular restaurants are generally far more expensive than the food warrants. The startup cost on even a modest restaurant can easily run into a million quid or more, and you frequently end up paying £40-50 a head + booze for what is usually OK but not great food. Also worth mentioning that cost & quality of food aren't proportional, there is some great food to be had in cheaper places where the people running the operation clearly care about quality of ingredients and good food. Then there are plenty of trendy places more concerned with decor and atmosphere where the food comes a poor second or third. While it's hard to match the good places for quality I can easily outcook the mediocre places simply by sourcing better ingredients and sticking to things I do well.

Lets face it, I'm 37 and have cooked (and eaten) a lot of Sunday roasts, I know how to do them. I can buy a good piece of organic rib with the bone in from my local butcher for £20-30, or a chicken for £10-12, & some decent organic veg and instantly I have a massive head start over some kid working in a restaurant that has to pay for wages, business rates and so on & hit the same £10 a head price point. I can cook the meat for 20 minutes more or less than planned and it will still be better, as long as I don't ruin the veg or make lumpy gravy I'm onto a winner. Half of the competition are serving frozen yorkshire puds & bisto FFS.

So yeah, I would say that for the price I can make a better roast dinner than anywhere within half an hour of my house. In fact, most of them want > £10 a head for a roast dinner so I can beat them on price as well.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    35GBP for a medium rare roast beef fillet (with a small amount of spinach) ordered with (as extras) parsley carrots and mash. The beef tasted bland, slightly dry and almost conveyerbelt cooked. Not the succulent and juicy fillet as I was expecting and very overpriced compared to any german beerhouse in terms of quality and portion size.
    Fillet isn't really roasting meat. You need something with a bit more fat.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Nobody won the jackpot.

£166M jackpot for Friday.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Yet to find a restaurant that could do it better than me.
    You quite often see people saying they can cook as well as expensive restaurants. Apart from the obvious BS factor their are two considerations IMO:

1)You cooked it so you're proud of it and that has a big impact
    2)Cooking for one meal and cooking for a whole restaurant while staggering everything is very different

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Started with the bonus balls.

Got a 1. Got a 5. Got 11.

Come on son!

Got 28!!!

Here we go!!!

Got 29!!

Pfffffft.

Bollocks!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    FTFY
    If I only had the change in my pocket I'd be richer than DimPrawn

Leave a comment:

• rsingh
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Oh bugger!
    Not really, just kidding! I appreciate the sentiment though.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by rsingh View Post
    I'm not - I got benched today...
    Oh bugger!

Leave a comment:

• rsingh
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Arse, looks like I'm going to work tomorrow...
    I'm not - I got benched today...

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    £166m!!! Richer than the Dim Prawn if you're the only winner!
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    £166m!!! Richer than the Beckhams if you're the only winner!

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Arse, looks like I'm going to work tomorrow...

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I'm a winner! 2 numbers and 1 star = £5.10.

(ignore the fact that I spent £20 on tickets)

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    It was perfectly edible, just mediocre in the way it just ticked all boxes of edibleness and was way overpriced. I could and have cooked a far tastier joint..
    Yet to find a restaurant that could do it better than me.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    It was perfectly edible, just mediocre in the way it just ticked all boxes of edibleness and was way overpriced. I could and have cooked a far tastier joint..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X