• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "10 Reasons You Should Never Get a Job"

Collapse

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I worked in marketing for a few years. Companies were driven by sleasy old men who forced a hiring policy based on female tight arses, good to look at but eventually you got tired explaining the most rudimentary technical stuff to daft tight arsed wee lassies.
    so you got them to make the tea instead...sorted

Also bonus at team drink ups there was someone there worth propositioning

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Having been to the canteen in my current office, which is shared with a few other companies, I can say that you should get a job. In publishing. Phwoar. The publishing industry appears to employ more good looking women than the rest of the world combined.
    I worked in marketing for a few years. Companies were driven by sleasy old men who forced a hiring policy based on female tight arses, good to look at but eventually you got tired explaining the most rudimentary technical stuff to daft tight arsed wee lassies.

Leave a comment:

• zamzummim
    replied
    Speaking of electricity generator, has anyone looked into this solar panels? Something about the government scheme saying they will pay you for any electricity one generates, but I don’t mind that, I know in other countries most of the water/heating is from solar panels, and they are environmentally friendly, has anyone has them fitted? How effective are they in a UK weather?

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Year, true enough. The only difference is that we put up with arbitrary bulltulip from HMRC instead of the boss man.
    But we can pay someone to do a lot of that for us.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by zamzummim View Post
    I want to do the self sufficiency thing like the Good Life, but don’t know how they paid their council tax, electricity etc … oh I think they had an electricity generator right? What about water and council tax? Or don’t you need to pay that if you don’t have a job?
    As I recall they tried an electricity generator but it didn't work very well.

Council and water taxes are the biggies as there's no way to reduce them. Gas and electricity also have a standing charge; you can't go lower than that.

Then there's the tax system as well. As soon as you earn cash to pay for those essentials you are liable to self employment NI, and ultimately the rest as well.

I don't think the Good Life was economically viable. They'd have needed more land and a means of generating income. The concept of organic farming and farmers' markets hadn't hit the public consciousness back then.

The only folks I've come across who "dropped out" in the 1970s ended up doing rather well for themselves. One chap picked up a manor house plus extensive grounds for peanuts back then and went into rose growing. He ended up starting several gardening centres, and there was a similar chap who started up a wine shop and ended up with a chain of them.

Just remembered that program 'Never going Back' many people tried leaving their jobs, but not sure anyone really was successful in the long run.
    Was he the chap who got offered a Porsche to go back? I don't think I could have resisted an offer at that level.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    WDS

I worked for a major publishing house in London many years ago and it was crawling with good looking women, many of whom were the type who "worked in publishing" until a mechant banker came along and married them.
    Another reason, if one were needed, bankers are chunts.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Having been to the canteen in my current office, which is shared with a few other companies, I can say that you should get a job. In publishing. Phwoar. The publishing industry appears to employ more good looking women than the rest of the world combined.
    WDS

I worked for a major publishing house in London many years ago and it was crawling with good looking women, many of whom were the type who "worked in publishing" until a mechant banker came along and married them.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied

Leave a comment:

• landl
    replied
    Oh, sorry.

I thought that said ten reasons to never get a jab.

Leave a comment:

• landl
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    I thought they sold their surplus produce to pay for those things
    Also - do the "Travelling" Community pay any of those items or are they exempt by culture or summat

If so that may be the answer

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    I want to do the self sufficiency thing like the Good Life, but don’t know how they paid their council tax, electricity etc … oh I think they had an electricity generator right? What about water and council tax? Or don’t you need to pay that if you don’t have a job?
    I thought they sold their surplus produce to pay for those things

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I could probably go the next 10 years without working (at a push). I Would rather work the next 12 years and retire at 50 knowing I can take the next 20 years off while my public sector mates who were so uppity about their great jobs crawl to 68 on a 9 to 5. Then we can sit down and play poker for tesco saver tea bags and bump our gums over the youth of today.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Well am not a permie, but still feel the contracts are sucking the life out of me, come on how much you'd like to pretend, we still do have jobs, even though its temporary and pays more than permies, but its the same old rat race.
    Year, true enough. The only difference is that we put up with arbitrary bulltulip from HMRC instead of the boss man.

Leave a comment:

• zamzummim
    replied
    Well am not a permie, but still feel the contracts are sucking the life out of me, come on how much you'd like to pretend, we still do have jobs, even though its temporary and pays more than permies, but its the same old rat race.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X