• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Racing bicycles and Vlad the Impaler"

Collapse

• JamJarST
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Yep, rode on friday and saturday, had a rest yesterday and it feels OK now. Only riding about between 20 and 40 minutes at a time for interval/VO2 max training; no ambitions for long distances at all.
    Been buidling up for a while now, I am doing the Etape Du Tour in two weeks time, nice and short at 108km, but it hase 3600m of climbing

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
    Another vote for just get out more on the bike and it will stop hurting eventually. I did 90k yesterday and no discomfort at all, a year ago I wouldn't be able to sit down.
    Yep, rode on friday and saturday, had a rest yesterday and it feels OK now. Only riding about between 20 and 40 minutes at a time for interval/VO2 max training; no ambitions for long distances at all.

Leave a comment:

• JamJarST
    replied
    Another vote for just get out more on the bike and it will stop hurting eventually. I did 90k yesterday and no discomfort at all, a year ago I wouldn't be able to sit down.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Come to think of it maybe a saddle is all you want:

Oh yes, mathematics in action. Nice pressure distribution plus low friction sides. I wonder if there's a market for these for bikes?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Yes you do need to be fit, but not beyond general healthy individual fitness. What you can't do is be fit, jump on a bike and expect to do 6 hours on the first day. Doesn't matter how fit you are, if you don't have the time in the saddle you'll cripple yourself in the first 90 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Fitness does help though. There is the small matter of being able to keep the pedals turning for 6 hours.
    Yes you do need to be fit, but not beyond general healthy individual fitness. What you can't do is be fit, jump on a bike and expect to do 6 hours on the first day. Doesn't matter how fit you are, if you don't have the time in the saddle you'll cripple yourself in the first 90 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    You could try a spin class in your local gym as well. Guarenteed to push you hard.
    I hate gyms.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Why not take a leaf out of the horse rider's handbook, they must know a thing or two about saddle sores:

This chap was too long in the saddle:

Leave a comment:

• Mason Boyne
    replied
    You could try a spin class in your local gym as well. Guarenteed to push you hard.
    That's just GAY!

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    That's not a problem; I only need to ride for half an hour or so in fast intervals.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I'm 98 kgs and it's a steel frame.
    You should be fine with a steel one.

What is your weight distribution like? Racing saddles aren't really designed to support most or all of your weight, it's likely to be uncomfortable if you are sitting very upright on it.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Funny you should mention it, some older carbon frames had a rider weight limit of 90-95kg or so. I think some might still.

Carbon Frame weight limit..
    I'm 98 kgs and it's a steel frame.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    That's not a problem; I only need to ride for half an hour or so in fast intervals.
    Lifting yourself out of the saddle over larger bumps will help as well.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Are you suggesting that racing bicycles were actually made for people who weigh less than 15 stone?
    Funny you should mention it, some older carbon frames had a rider weight limit of 90-95kg or so. I think some might still.

Carbon Frame weight limit..

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    The mathematics suggests that someone with a fat arse (minimising seat pressure) wearing Teflon underpants (minimising friction) would not suffer pressure sores. He would slide off the seat and land on his fat arse as soon as he accelerated though. Another alternative is to look at the formula denominators as you suggest, i.e. minimise weight.
    OK, I'll go for a dump before riding this evening. Should save a couple of lbs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X