• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Airbus humps Boeing into submission at Paris airshow"

Collapse

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    You've left yourself wide open for ridicule and ignorance of aviation control systems.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    I'm thinking an amalgamation of mechanical and electronic instruments, so if the electronics start playing up (as seem to have happened in both Airbus crashes I mentioned) the pilot can quickly press the 'sod off' button and take over using the old fashion methods. The problem then becomes how soon does the pilot realise the electronics are telling porkies and decide to take full control themself.
    You've left yourself wide open for ridicule and ignorance of aviation control systems.

If you really believe the pilots do not have ultimate control of the aircraft, I tell you now no pilot would set foot on the flight deck.

Risk of an event at an airshow is always greater than reality because pilots are under more pressure to demonstrate A/C capabilities. Also the manoeuvres on display were very untypical of day to day operations, increasing risk. Like F1 drivers, the analysis that goes into keeping drivers alive and safe is amazing as full well the owners know an event is that much more likely than for ordinary road users.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Your thinking a bigger window? "Look out! Trees!!"
    I'm thinking an amalgamation of mechanical and electronic instruments, so if the electronics start playing up (as seem to have happened in both Airbus crashes I mentioned) the pilot can quickly press the 'sod off' button and take over using the old fashion methods. The problem then becomes how soon does the pilot realise the electronics are telling porkies and decide to take full control themself.

Though maybe it's more cost effective to go the way they are and pay out compensation when it all goes engines up. Assuming they can't blame it on the (probably) dead pilot.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
    Engine contol system is designed in the UK so that's something I suppose - but struggling to get the electonic engineers

Yes but goodrich an american company so the profits don't stay in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• zara_backdog
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    All we need now is a bigger slice of the work from the Frogs. You'd think that with a chocolate £ melting fast that UK manufacturing would be very attractive to Airbus, more than ever before.
    Engine contol system is designed in the UK so that's something I suppose - but struggling to get the electonic engineers

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    A pilot is only as good as the information he receives.
    Your thinking a bigger window? "Look out! Trees!!"

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied

Airbus may as well go one step further and have the planes flyable remotely if the pilots in situ are really the weak link.
    Why stop there?

BAE Mantis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Pilot error all the way.

Airbus may as well go one step further and have the planes flyable remotely if the pilots in situ are really the weak link.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Ah yes, British WasteOfSpace as it's now commonly become known among the engineering fraternity. Ever since Airbus pulled the jollys out 10 years ago we left. You know they used to have their own private A320 flying engineers over to Toulouse on a daily basis, business class seats, it was fantastic you felt quite important.
    They're decommissioning the runway next year so no chance of the jolly’s ever coming back let alone any ramp up of volume manufacturing.

On the other hand GKN have invested heavily in composite technologies so the high tech stuff will be there for some time yet.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Bristol, the UK hub of aerospace engineering excellence.
    Ah yes, British WasteOfSpace as it's now commonly become known among the engineering fraternity. Ever since Airbus pulled the jollys out 10 years ago we left. You know they used to have their own private A320 flying engineers over to Toulouse on a daily basis, business class seats, it was fantastic you felt quite important.

You're right though, they're on a continual recruitment drive for stress and materials engineers which explains the increase in the number of Bobs at Airbus and Rolls Royce Filton these days.
    The UK agents make it perfectly clear to me every time they call, you're a commodity long before you're an engineer / professional. Until this stops UK companies shall never be competitive attracting the skills alongside the eurodisney counterparts.

I know what I’ll be encouraging my kids to get into.
    And while you're kids are studying engineering get them to learn French or German at the same time. Stand out from the crowd when it grows.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Great, so it will become harder and harder to avoid Airbus and their dodgy fly-by-wire glass cockpits.

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but since that very public A320 crash I've felt this is a step too far in reliance on technology. I'd much rather have a pissed up captain at the manual controls.

Here's the video of the A320 airshow crash I'm on about. I'm sure many people remember seeing it on the news:

YouTube - ‪France - Mulhouse - Airbus A320 Crash during auto landing‬‏

Pilot error all the way.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Anyone been up in an A380 yet? How's that selling?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Yes because engineers are pouring out of every corner. We're don't have anywhere in the UK to make stuff and things, like.

The engineers have spoken and voted with their feet long ago. Being an engineer in the UK is a demeaning experience. More importantly our skills are portable.
    Bristol, the UK hub of aerospace engineering excellence.

You're right though, they're on a continual recruitment drive for stress and materials engineers which explains the increase in the number of Bobs at Airbus and Rolls Royce Filton these days.

I know what I’ll be encouraging my kids to get into.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Avionics Products Range

Anybody on here want to own up?

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Great, so it will become harder and harder to avoid Airbus and their dodgy fly-by-wire glass cockpits.

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but since that very public A320 crash I've felt this is a step too far in reliance on technology. I'd much rather have a pissed up captain at the manual controls.

Here's the video of the A320 airshow crash I'm on about. I'm sure many people remember seeing it on the news:

YouTube - ‪France - Mulhouse - Airbus A320 Crash during auto landing‬‏

Though thinking about it, maybe the common denominator is Air France, seeing as the two most famous Airbus crashes (the one I mention and the one that disappeared into the atlantic in 2009) have been from their stable.
    Last edited by PAH; 23 June 2011, 11:44.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X