• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "EBay buying strategy"

Collapse

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    Yeah, I know sniping is easy, but if I've already bid my maximum, what's the point? If I loose, then someone wanted it more than me, that's the way auctions go. I look at it as having saved the money I'd unsuccessfully bid.
    Read my post to Fred at top of page, I can't put it any other way than it gives you better odds.

And it's just as easy to snipe as it is to bid normally, so you're not wasting time any time doing more work or something like that.

If atw is reading this the veins on his head will be popping.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    Can't you set a maximum when sniping? What is the benefit of sniping I don;t understand?
    No, I'm not sayiing I set a maximum when sniping, just when I bid. As regards, sniping, I agree, I suppose there is a certain thrill to be gained from seeing the auction through to the last seconds and snatching it away from someone else. But as I say, I can't be bothered with all that. Just bid and walk away.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Yeah, I know sniping is easy, but if I've already bid my maximum, what's the point? If I loose, then someone wanted it more than me, that's the way auctions go. I look at it as having saved the money I'd unsuccessfully bid.
    Can't you set a maximum when sniping? What is the benefit of sniping I don;t understand?

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    sniping is just as easy, and give you potentially better odds.

But if you're not that fussed then no point me banging on about it anymore

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    I don't get into this sniping stuff or bidding wars (been there, done that, paid over the odds). Now I just decide what the item is worth to me, bid that amount and walk away, forget about it and wait for the email to say whether or not I've won.

If I don't win, then never mind, there'll be another along shortly.
    sniping is just as easy, and give you potentially better odds.

But if you're not that fussed then no point me banging on about it anymore

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Thanks, but I can't get into a bidding war if I have already submitted my best and highest offer. Ebsy just auto bids up to my maximum and then no more. That's one of the bits that I can't really understand about why folks use these extra tools.
    If you bid early, other people can see your bid getting higher and bid accordingly over the days, so ebay essentially conducts the bidding war for you upto your limit.

So sniping your highest possible bid will do all the auto bidding in the last few seconds against other users high bids, but this potentially circumvents manual bidders who might have bid higher, or who do not utilise the auto bidding.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    I don't get into this sniping stuff or bidding wars (been there, done that, paid over the odds). Now I just decide what the item is worth to me, bid that amount and walk away, forget about it and wait for the email to say whether or not I've won.

If I don't win, then never mind, there'll be another along shortly.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    I suppose the point is you only use sniping if you will be unhappy if you don't win.

It also keeps your cards close to your chest and avoids what might otherwise be a traditional bidding war like Minestrone describes, and still minimises the amount you may need to pay.
    Thanks, but I can't get into a bidding war if I have already submitted my best and highest offer. Ebsy just auto bids up to my maximum and then no more. That's one of the bits that I can't really understand about why folks use these extra tools.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    I'm maybe missing something but if I bid on something it is because I want it. I weigh up what the maximum price is that I want to pay and I bid that amount. Ebay automatically bids for me until my maximum is reached, either I win or I don't. If I win I'm happy, if I don't I'm still happy. What is the point that I am missing?
    I suppose the point is you only use sniping if you will be unhappy if you don't win.

It also keeps your cards close to your chest and avoids what might otherwise be a traditional bidding war like Minestrone describes, and still minimises the amount you may need to pay.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    I'm maybe missing something but if I bid on something it is because I want it. I weigh up what the maximum price is that I want to pay and I bid that amount. Ebay automatically bids for me until my maximum is reached, either I win or I don't. If I win I'm happy, if I don't I'm still happy. What is the point that I am missing?

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Depends what it is I suppose. Usually with eBay I am either tracking down something old and hard to find or looking for a bargain. If it's the first then I will tend to bid at a level commensurate with wanting to secure it. If it's the latter I will stick my bid in quite late and let it ride, the main reason I do that is to avoid having multiple winning bids in play rather than to try and get a better price.
    I use Gixen.com, which lets you group your bids so that if one wins the rest in the group gets cancelled.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I can see the first bidders logic, minimum bid and nobody might not offer a second bid so he steals it, the second bidder is the one that strikes interest.
    Yeah, maybe stupid, maybe manipulating, maybe coincidence, or just a user that isn't particularly savvy.

I don't exactly buy a lot on ebay but when I do, I always use a sniping tool.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I am usually one to go with a one minute to go bid, set myself on a price and let it go if that is not met, just find it strange people bidding 4 days before closing with pound upmanship.
    Depends what it is I suppose. Usually with eBay I am either tracking down something old and hard to find or looking for a bargain. If it's the first then I will tend to bid at a level commensurate with wanting to secure it. If it's the latter I will stick my bid in quite late and let it ride, the main reason I do that is to avoid having multiple winning bids in play rather than to try and get a better price.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    So I'm interested in an item (high shine leather chaps before anyone asks) that has 8 days to run on the auction, it gets to 4 days with no bids and then someone goes in for the minimum bid, fair enough, might get a steal but then someone gets straight in with a couple of pounds over what the first bidder offered.

Manipulation or stupidity?
    The two bidders are unique and bid within a few minutes of each other ?

It is likely to be shill bidding but then it could well be that the second bidder was watching the item and not knowing how ebay works is trying to outbid the first guy. I would think the shill bidding theory is very likely so go looking for the leather chaps ( what is it ?) somewhere else.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I think he is saving his 25,000th post for something truly special.
    What's funny about that is, he went through 25000,25001,25002,25003 and when it was pointed out he deleted 4 posts.

He'll only post now when SKA is a great success.

Gonna be quiet.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X