• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Rate discovery

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Rate discovery"

Collapse

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    I forgot to ask are you opted in or opted out. If you are opted in you could always "transfer" to the new agency at "the clients request".

I still think 5% is going to be pushing it. Personally I would start there and accept 8-10%.
    Yeah I think you are right, I also think there is two agencies between me and the client.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I forgot to ask are you opted in or opted out. If you are opted in you could always "transfer" to the new agency at "the clients request".

I still think 5% is going to be pushing it. Personally I would start there and accept 8-10%.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    He has certainly never parted with one
    The last time we were out for a beer I paid! In fact the first time we went out for a beer I was working for you and still bought the beer!

Note to all, Agents tell fibs!

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    You have all the cards Russell, no doubt about that. Its a very rare thing to get the inside info, so I dont blame you for trying to max it out

If the agent wont give up 10% I will be suprised

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    I've seen it happen when the HR idiots get involved and decide to dick around with their PSLs and rate agreements - tends only to happen in larger organisations though - don't know what your situation is.
    Doesn't sound very likely. If it does I don't care I will just get a new contract.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    Would a hiring manager want to give up an experienced contractor just so an agency can keep it's ripoff margin?
    I've seen it happen when the HR idiots get involved and decide to dick around with their PSLs and rate agreements - tends only to happen in larger organisations though - don't know what your situation is.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    Bear in mind also as well as competing / negotiating with the agency you may also be competing against other contractors in the market with similar skills. If the agency can get the next mug and the hiring manager to say yes then you are doomed.
    Would a hiring manager want to give up an experienced contractor just so an agency can keep it's ripoff margin? If I start going above what the agency is being paid then the client might object, so I'll let them agent have 5%.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Bear in mind also as well as competing / negotiating with the agency you may also be competing against other contractors in the market with similar skills. If the agency can get the next mug and the hiring manager to say yes then you are doomed.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Two hopes mate. And one of them is dead.

Negotiation is not the art of (you reduce your rate). It's, I have been offered X elsewhere and need to increase my rate to compensate.

Then you throw in, 'Ahhhh. But you are on twice the top end rate of the commission scheme and the client is not happy'. Blah blah blah.

Always offer an out. But an out in your direction.

5% you'll find they have three cheaper better CV's there in half an hour.
    The issue is the client will no longer be using that agency for new contractors. Also the client would rather have a proven entity with a years experience with their own systems, as well as someone who has gelled with the permies more than any other contractor.

The agent doesn't decide, the client does, unless I ask for a crazy rate the agency will have to pay the rate I want. 5% is better than 0. If the agent was honest from the start I wouldn't be about to slice their throats.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

You can't even manage yourself on this forum, what makes you think you are good enough to confront the agent?

You'd better do what we all do - run. Fast!

Neo
    I have done this before, just never used the fact that I know what rate the agent is getting. Usually if they refuse the increase I let them stew for a few days, most are on the phone within a few hours with some middle ground rise. (my request is high balled based on this)

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied

Fake post!

Churchill has never owned a fiver.

He has certainly never parted with one

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    You are good at it.

I can see it just now during the worst winter snow crisis in your job pitching to old lady with her grandson: "Yes, mam, you can of course go out and die a horrible death in the snow with your only grandson, OR you can guy this sled for a very reasonable price of £100 and save both lives."

You have no idea how close you are.

Had a women come in the shop before Xmas, pick up a sledge and go 'How much is this?'
    '£15' I replied.
    'Bah! £15, they're a tenner down the road, what a rip off!'

'Yes, they are. But they are a single plastic mould, very thin with a fibre rope. These are a double mould, imported from Sweden with a European guarantee and real rope taking up to 65 kg. The one down the road may look the same but they only take 45kg and is a high chance that it will snap before the day is out and most likely hurt the person on it. I am assuming this is for your neice/nephew and I'd be pretty upset as a parent if my nana bought a sledge that injured my child. But I suppose a tenner is a tenner so it's your look out, but if you would like one, here they are' - I schpeeled.

'Bah' and she left.

1/2 an hour later she quietly came back in. Said nothing and bought one.

An hour later she sloped back in and bought another three. I said nothing.

Always give someone an out.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Two hopes mate. And one of them is dead.

Negotiation is not the art of (you reduce your rate). It's, I have been offered X elsewhere and need to increase my rate to compensate.

Then you throw in, 'Ahhhh. But you are on twice the top end rate of the commission scheme and the client is not happy'. Blah blah blah.

Always offer an out. But an out in your direction.

5% you'll find they have three cheaper better CV's there in half an hour.
    You are good at it.

I can see it just now during the worst winter snow crisis in your job pitching to old lady with her grandson: "Yes, mam, you can of course go out and die a horrible death in the snow with your only grandson, OR you can guy this sled for a very reasonable price of £100 and save both lives."

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Good advice, its only fair, they are taking ~28% scum bags .

Don't blame the opportunist agent collecting nearly a 1/3 of you're waking working hours, blame the lazy, history graduates, of a HR department who could not bother looking for the talent in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I will offer them 5%, the client is in through process of changing agencies so I can push it.

You can't even manage yourself on this forum, what makes you think you are good enough to confront the agent?

You'd better do what we all do - run. Fast!

Neo

Leave a comment:

Working...
X