• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Academic References"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    New to contracting, only my 2nd real gig
    If you got on with one of your old permie managers or more senior positioned colleagues then get them to be a reference.

The only thing you may have to do is help them with the informaton to write it as some institutions want a statement as well as some tick boxing.

This is because they can easily fill their courses with international students who pay a minimum of twice as much as you for the course.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    I'll take that as a "no" then.
    It would yes

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    I'll take that as a "no" then.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Have you never had your contracts extended?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Just get someone you know in a professional job a colleague would be fine. They just send a simple questionaire, which has questions like "do you think this guy could hack a Master degree". It´s a formality, no more, they want your dough. They know if you hand over several grand you aint going to bunk all the lectures, in fact it desn´t make much difference if you do, as long as they get the dough.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    I have been offered a place on a Master Course, as I have not done a bachelors degree and using "life experience" as my qualifications I am being asked for an employers reference, however I am a contractor so any clients I work with are usually only for 3-6 months at a time. Has anyone any experience of this sort of thing, as to what I should be asking?

(PS I have asked this same question to the admissions team but awaiting their reply)
    Have you never had your contracts extended?

Leave a comment:

• Jaws
    replied
    I did the same a few years back. One of the references I had was just someone I used to work with and the other was a manager I had known for less than a year (I'd recently handed him my notice to go contracting).
    They were also interested in seeing my certs, the person interviewing me said that these were required.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    ftfy
    Just threaten to key his Ford Cortina.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Or an agent? Dodgy will do it for a fee.
    ftfy

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    I have been offered a place on a Master Course, as I have not done a bachelors degree and using "life experience" as my qualifications I am being asked for an employers reference, however I am a contractor so any clients I work with are usually only for 3-6 months at a time. Has anyone any experience of this sort of thing, as to what I should be asking?

(PS I have asked this same question to the admissions team but awaiting their reply)
    What course are you going for?

From my experience they will need to see
    Your CV
    References from someone you know professionally, you must have gathered at least a couple of decent contacts you could ask nicely for a written reference.
    Some proof that you have taken your professional development seriously and don't spend every night at the pub/sat in front of the TV
    A good personal statement. They do not want people who are doing a masters for the sake of it, you need to have a personal and not just professional interest in the subject.

I did have the advantage of a bachelors degree but given that 12 years had passed, my passing mark wasn't exactly great (obviously more pub than lectures) and it was a completely different subject area I'm not sure how much weight it gave to my application.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    Couldn't your company secretary write a reference from your company ?
    Or an agent? Dodgy will do it.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Couldn't your company secretary write a reference from your company ?

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    Send me 100 GBP to my paypal and I will write you a reference.
    Shirley you mean Western Union Transfer?!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    Cheapskate.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X