• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Lowering resting heart rate"

Collapse

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Rowing won't give you a huge upper body, just a bit more muscle tone. To get a huge upper body you need;

- the right genes and lots of fast twitch muscle fibres, which most people don't have
    - heavy weights training
    - high protein diet
    - lots of time

Really, rowing will not turn you into a hulk unless you're naturally big.
    Ok, will look into it a few times a week and running the other days.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    I prefer not to have huge upper body, I wan't the build of a long distance runner, little fat and slender muscles.
    Rowing won't give you a huge upper body, just a bit more muscle tone. To get a huge upper body you need;

- the right genes and lots of fast twitch muscle fibres, which most people don't have
    - heavy weights training
    - high protein diet
    - lots of time

Really, rowing will not turn you into a hulk unless you're naturally big.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Rowing machine trains the whole body and doesn't make you look like a prat.
    I prefer not to have huge upper body, I wan't the build of a long distance runner, little fat and slender muscles.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Just wondering, anyway I do love running, might do some rowing on my off days though. Why the rowing machine though why not a cross trainer?

Thanks for the advice everyone.
    Rowing machine trains the whole body and doesn't make you look like a prat.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    WSSS

Interval training on a rowing machine, following the training programmes that concept2 provide will be very effective without buggering your knees.

Anyway, why do you care so much about achieving a certain resting heart rate?
    Anything under about 65 is a sign of being quite fit.
    Just wondering, anyway I do love running, might do some rowing on my off days though. Why the rowing machine though why not a cross trainer?

Thanks for the advice everyone.
    Last edited by russell; 1 June 2011, 11:12.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    running regularly knackers your knees and is not the best for cardio.

Get on that rowing machine instead, you'll notice the difference in no time.
    WSSS

Interval training on a rowing machine, following the training programmes that concept2 provide will be very effective without buggering your knees.

Anyway, why do you care so much about achieving a certain resting heart rate?
    Anything under about 65 is a sign of being quite fit.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I think he was being sarcastic.

To keep your heart rate down, it's best to start by not reading many russell posts.
    No need to drag my name through the chutney , I don't want to tarnished my reputation.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Thanks russell, next time just post the link to your previous thread about resting heart rate:

If you keep obsessing about it your heart rate will keep going up because you're worried that it's not going down

Also, the fact that you can't remember having started these threads before might indicate that you should be more concerned about the onset of Alzheimers.
    I did remember that one, I thought it was asking what is rather than how to lower, will look at that post though thanks.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post

No worries.
    I think he was being sarcastic.

To keep your heart rate down, it's best to start by not reading many russell posts.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Simple answer for lowering your heart rate

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Thanks Dave, next time just post the link to Wikipedia
    Thanks russell, next time just post the link to your previous thread about resting heart rate:

If you keep obsessing about it your heart rate will keep going up because you're worried that it's not going down

Also, the fact that you can't remember having started these threads before might indicate that you should be more concerned about the onset of Alzheimers.
    Last edited by NickFitz; 31 May 2011, 23:48.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    What's the point. The extra beats consumed exercising trying to lower the heart beat likely far exceeds those saved anyway, summed over say a year.

Maybe a better measure, instead of cheating beats per minute, should be beats per year.
    I do not think I run to lower my heart rate, I choose to do it because I find it enjoyable.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    What's the point. The extra beats consumed exercising trying to lower the heart beat likely far exceeds those saved anyway, summed over say a year.

Maybe a better measure, instead of cheating beats per minute, should be beats per year.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    That's so weird, there's this other poster on here called Minestrone who also obsesses about running.

My heart rate is about 70.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    That's so weird, there's this other poster on here called Minestrone who also obsesses about running.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X