• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: New toy

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New toy"

Collapse

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Luxury! You lot 'ad a dad. Oh ...

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    "Tepid" rainwater? You were lucky!!

We used to sup on't damp cloth!
    And get woken up every morning by 'aving a load of rotting fish dumped all over us!
    Luxury! You lot 'ad a dad. Oh ...

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Lego! Luxury.

You had it easy. Myself and my eight brothers used to play with an old cardbox from the grocery store, wooden stick with a piece of string and would have to play at spitting competitions assuming we had any spittle as we were only allowed a drink of tepid rainwater once a week.
    "Tepid" rainwater? You were lucky!!

We used to sup on't damp cloth!
    And get woken up every morning by 'aving a load of rotting fish dumped all over us!

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Lego! Luxury.

You had it easy. Myself and my eight brothers used to play with an old cardbox from the grocery store, wooden stick with a piece of string and would have to play at spitting competitions assuming we had any spittle as we were only allowed a drink of tepid rainwater once a week.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Oi!

I played with lego for years, probably because that was what my brothers had and I never got given any gender specific toys when I was a kid (also with 5 kids they couldn't afford to buy new toys, so we made do). If you start giving kids toys specifically aimed at their gender that's why boys like lego and girls end up with barbie.
    Lego! Luxury.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Maybe if they had kits that could be made into cookers, fridges, hoovers, and ironing boards? You know, the things they will become familiar with?

Oi!

I played with lego for years, probably because that was what my brothers had and I never got given any gender specific toys when I was a kid (also with 5 kids they couldn't afford to buy new toys, so we made do). If you start giving kids toys specifically aimed at their gender that's why boys like lego and girls end up with barbie.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    For boys, yes. Hasn't that always been the difficulty that the likes of lego and meccano has had, i.e. how do we get little girls interested in our product?
    Maybe if they had kits that could be made into cookers, fridges, hoovers, and ironing boards? You know, the things they will become familiar with?

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    For a 4 (nearly 5) year old lego wins.
    For boys, yes. Hasn't that always been the difficulty that the likes of lego and meccano has had, i.e. how do we get little girls interested in our product?

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Gondry

You've made me want to watch this again now:

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    There was a program on a while back. French owned now I believe.

James May built a bridge out of meccano which he cross a canal/river in Liverpool. Pretty good program if I remember.

BBC - BBC Two Programmes - James May's Toy Stories, Meccano
    He also built a house out of lego, same series.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    WHS

I believe they still make Meccano sets in Poland, or somewhere in Eastern Europe.

Somebody should be making it, even if we're too complacent and incompetent in the UK!
    There was a program on a while back. French owned now I believe.

James May built a bridge out of meccano which he cross a canal/river in Liverpool. Pretty good program if I remember.

BBC - BBC Two Programmes - James May's Toy Stories, Meccano

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    Meccano trumps lego, imo.
    For a 4 (nearly 5) year old lego wins. Meccano is good though. I still have my meccano screwdriver

Big boys should be playing with big boys toys:

Last edited by doodab; 28 May 2011, 13:49.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post

WHS

I believe they still make Meccano sets in Poland, or somewhere in Eastern Europe.

Somebody should be making it, even if we're too complacent and incompetent in the UK!

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Would it be too bold to say that Lego is one of the best inventions ever?

Simply brilliant.

BTW, that kit knocks spots off what I used to have as a kid.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X