• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bletchley Park commemorates those brave chaps"

Collapse

• RichardCranium
    replied
    I was lucky enough to get in on a guided tour.

The local branch of my wife's professional body arranged it as a day-long visit and about 20 of us went. I cannot remember the cost, but it was a no-brainer. The price included a light lunch.

We were guided around the house and the computer rooms. We got a lecture in the main hall in the house including the pre-history of the place that explained how it came to be bought and used.

The history of the Poles' involvement was a revelation (they deserve the credit for the whole thing being possible in the first place for what they did prior to WWII).

We also got some behind-the-scenes stuff.

So, if someone in the area wants to arrange a ContractorUK Bletchley Park RLM...

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Sands of Time View Post
    I should really go - it's just down the road.

Is it an all-day thing?

Tone
    I'd recommend the whole day. I only got there about lunchtime and missed out on a lot.
    The Entrance Fee gets you a year's subscription though, so if you live locally you can take your time I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• Sands of Time
    replied
    I should really go - it's just down the road.

Is it an all-day thing?

Tone

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Weren't the Bod's there mostly Poles - developing the 'Bomba'?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    You'd think that if the Germans even remotely suspected that any Enigma machines had been captured by the allies, the differences of the Typex would have alerted them to potential security flaws which the allies had spotted, with the corollary that Enigma might have been been cracked using those flaws.

But then the Head of the Abwer (sp?), Admiral Canaris, was supposedly a double agent. So possibly he scoffed at the idea of any Enigma machines having been captured, precisely to head off suspicions along those lines.
    I seriously doubt that Canaris was a double agent. He was anti nazi for sure, and knew the war was unwinnable. But he was also extremely honourable, non devious and very pro German uber state.
    A very good reason for scoffing at the idea of a machine being captured, was self preservation. He might have been shot

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

They also spent six weeks trying to break the Typex (which was used for the most important communications by the RAF, Army and various branches of government) before giving up in the belief it was uncrackable.
    You'd think that if the Germans even remotely suspected that any Enigma machines had been captured by the allies, the differences of the Typex would have alerted them to potential security flaws which the allies had spotted, with the corollary that Enigma might have been been cracked using those flaws.

But then the Head of the Abwer (sp?), Admiral Canaris, was supposedly a double agent. So possibly he scoffed at the idea of any Enigma machines having been captured, precisely to head off suspicions along those lines.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Didn't the Germans crack our codes without a cipher machine?
    They did crack a number of the most important naval cyphers and various less important cyphers of other services throughout the earlier years of war. From late 1943 onwards they were pretty much stuck though.

They also spent six weeks trying to break the Typex (which was used for the most important communications by the RAF, Army and various branches of government) before giving up in the belief it was uncrackable.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Never been there, I'll have to go.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    In short: he refused to be discrete in his homosexuality, was sentenced to female hormone injections as a condition of being allowed to continue his work, was then not allowed to continue his work, became depressed and when he grew boobs and fat, saw no point carrying on.

A terrible waste. A modern-day Socrates who, but for a handful of people in the IT industry, would have buried by history.

Alan Turing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for Bletchley Park, if you consider yourself a European or British IT professional it is a temple that requires one pilgrimage in your lifetime.
    Hmmm, Alan Turing lived in Wilmslow. I wonder if the boards resident (aledged)kiddie-fiddler is aware of that fact.

Leave a comment:

• Dearnla
    replied
    I did 21 months at the place, training with the CAA. Only ever got in the mansion once, but our bedrooms and lecture rooms were the old brickbuilt huts.
    I do seem to remember a drunken bonfire party on the frozen lake just before Easter one April. We lacked fireworks so thought Brut cans were a good substitute. We were right.....

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    The Germans had some rather groovy mechanical and relay based computing machines but they were only used for calculations AFAIK.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Did Turing commit suicide or was he suicided for his efforts?
    In short: he refused to be discrete in his homosexuality, was sentenced to female hormone injections as a condition of being allowed to continue his work, was then not allowed to continue his work, became depressed and when he grew boobs and fat, saw no point carrying on.

A terrible waste. A modern-day Socrates who, but for a handful of people in the IT industry, would have buried by history.

Alan Turing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for Bletchley Park, if you consider yourself a European or British IT professional it is a temple that requires one pilgrimage in your lifetime.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    You should, you really should. Get there early too, there is lots to take in.
    I will. Even my kids and Mrs Styles have been. I've read the books and everything. It's stupid really, but I never seem to get round to it.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    It's 20 minutes away from where I live and I've never been there.
    I used to go there all the time when I was a kid but that was before they had the museum and stuff.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X