• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Getting that first contract"

Collapse

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    With experience you'll get to notice the signals an agent sends out that (s)he would like a back hander: doesn't like to use email, prefers the phone, suggests meeting up for a cup of coffee, beer, glass of wine, asks about your personal life, partners, where you're going on holiday (on your own?)...
    dream on.....

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by cswd
    I think it's about time I stabbed that bloody angel on my right shoulder and listened to the devil on the other one some more.
    With experience you'll get to notice the signals an agent sends out that (s)he would like a back hander: doesn't like to use email, prefers the phone, suggests meeting up for a cup of coffee, beer, glass of wine, asks about your personal life, partners, where you're going on holiday (on your own?)...

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by expat
    He did say "and cut it down to 2 for each job" ......
    Yep, you're quite right. I am a muppet.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac
    6 pages is way too long. 3 max, most agents will never read past page 1. Whatever you do, make sure all the good stuff is on page 1.
    Brief contact details, list of skills, brief summary of achievements etc.
    Don't bother with hobbies etc. No one cares.
    He did say "and cut it down to 2 for each job" ......

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    FFS.

Call the agencies. Explain this is your 1st contract, but you are ******* brilliant. Offer to pay the agent £500 direct, cash in hand, if they secure you are contract as a bonus.
    Haha - That actually sounds like a plan

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by Fleetwood
    If he had more than one....
    Of course. But whether it was singular or not was not knowable due to the lack of the possessive.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by cswd
    Does that actually work?
    Of course it does! A little bit of corruption can take you a long way.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Thanks again for the replies

The results aspect of my last job is something that could definitely be expanded within my CV.

Still frustrated though, feels like I'm flogging a dead horse... and I'm the dead horse

Maybe a few beers are in order tonight

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    FFS.

Call the agencies. Explain this is your 1st contract, but you are ******* brilliant. Offer to pay the agent £500 direct, cash in hand, if they secure you are contract as a bonus.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran
    Look for your USP's and highlight them, make sure they are easy to read.

Tailor CV to each job, have a 6 page CV and cut it down to 2 for each job making sure each buzzword is in there with a positive result.
    6 pages is way too long. 3 max, most agents will never read past page 1. Whatever you do, make sure all the good stuff is on page 1.
    Brief contact details, list of skills, brief summary of achievements etc.
    Don't bother with hobbies etc. No one cares.

Leave a comment:

• Fleetwood
    replied
    If he had more than one....

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by Fleetwood
    at your company's expense
    Companies[I][B]'[B][I] could be ok too.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Think estate agent

Look for your USP's and highlight them, make sure they are easy to read.

Tailor CV to each job, have a 6 page CV and cut it down to 2 for each job making sure each buzzword is in there with a positive result.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by expat
    At, or rather just before, the interview for my first contract they gave me a coding test.

Some time into the contract, one of the other guys criticised the test to the PM and the team in general. I agreed, and remarked that in fact I had made that criticism at the interview. So did I, said another.

The PM said with a grin, You all did. That's why I hired you.
    Tis a good point. I've interviewed loads of people for permie roles (fresh graduates mainly), and what I was always looking for was not that they knew how to do stuff, but that they understood how and why stuff worked.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard
    Contracts are like bird cages. The birds on the outside are all fighting to get in, and the birds on the inside are sitting there biding their time and looking forward to when they'll be free again.
    No, permanent jobs are like bird cages. The birds in cages are safe and well-fed, but it's the birds flying around outside that do the singing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X