• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What voting Labour does"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    That graph doesn't include the Nationality and Settlement case numbers that soared at the same time that Asylum cases dropped.
    Settlements soared because it was normally taking 4 years on work permit to qualify - there is no link to cuts on asylum cases, Home Office just had focus on it because that's what papers demanded at the time.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    £24k puts them in competition with Graduates
    I was working with an American guy in Dusseldorf, he was working in Brussels, but they cancelled his work visa.
    He had an expert visa of some kind. Then they did a follow up on him and said he was not paid enough to be an expert

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Look at the work permits issued.
    That graph doesn't include the Nationality and Settlement case numbers that soared at the same time that Asylum cases dropped.

That was the time when Blair said he was going to "crack down" on asylum numbers. He and the immigration authorities simply changed the case types to something less headliney and still let them in.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Is it still "only fair"?
    They all have the same masters.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    It amazed me how they managed to get £24k threshold for ICTs - original limit of £40k would have been ok.
    Dave lowered that to £20K, including expenses fiddles. So no lower salary limit in practise and no upper limit of numbers.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    It amazed me how they managed to get £24k threshold for ICTs - original limit of £40k would have been ok.
    £24k puts them in competition with Graduates

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    And Dave has relaxed them again, except they aren't being counted now.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    And Dave has relaxed them again, except they aren't being counted now.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Its interesting to see how the asylum claimants drop as the work permits rise
    There was a general crackdown on asylum seekers at the time, work permits were generally relaxed in 2000 (that's when I got one).

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Whatever is easiest way in. Labour give them two cushy options.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I'm all graphed out from the AGW threads.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    started a topic What voting Labour does

What voting Labour does

UK immigration 'boosted the population by 1.75m in 8 years' | Mail Online

Working...
X