• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Just re-read ...

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Just re-read ..."

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    ... Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia". What a cracking book.
    Well done. And have you coloured in all the pictures this time too?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    Errr, wasn't he on the losing side? In fact wasn't he on the faction destroyed by the other lefties, so an even bigger loser? A bit like reading Gordon Brown's account of electioneering in 2010...

We need a book by the winner. "Homage to Spain's fascists, and how I helped them to win the war" by F.Franco
    That would be "Spanish Republicanism, my part in it's downfall" by A. Schicklegruber...

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    ... Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia". What a cracking book.
    Errr, wasn't he on the losing side? In fact wasn't he on the faction destroyed by the other lefties, so an even bigger loser? A bit like reading Gordon Brown's account of electioneering in 2010...

We need a book by the winner. "Homage to Spain's fascists, and how I helped them to win the war" by F.Franco

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Standards must have been low in Russia since you hardly display any logical or analytical capability.
    Red Diploma is very hard to get, you need 5's in every subject, five 'excellents' - otlichno in Russian - think the phrase is 's otlichiem'.

Russian grading is simple, 1 to 5 basically - 5 the highest. When I go to parents evening now they go on about 'on a 5A+ working towards a 6B but the target is only a 6C- so we're well on track.' What?

Of course, the trouble with Russian Uni is it's crap, you can get prepped by the person who wrote the exam questions......

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Standards must have been low in Russia since you hardly display any logical or analytical capability.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I had silver medal from school and a red diploma too

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Babushka was in Leningrad in WW2 - a real horror story that is, during the siege, they were starving, literally. She's a Chemist, retired now obviously. At 55 too! Over 30 years in retirement!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    My missus lot where all PhD's - must have been the elite! Think one of them got a red diploma is it? From Mgu.....
    Naturally.

That's because in Russia it's not enough for a girl to look pretty, cook well, iron, wash etc etc but also be well educated - all this combined makes up good marriage

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    My missus lot where all PhD's - must have been the elite! Think one of them got a red diploma is it? From Mgu.....

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied

What you think? Dude I lived there!
    Yeah but we all know you're not the sharpest tool in the drawer so we just ignore everything you say.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied

Basically after uni everyone got job - best people (based on grades or they were snitches to KGB whilst at uni) get good jobs, the rest will get tulip jobs. Good jobs would mean you might get your own room in a hostel like studenty dorms (you might need to be PhD with children to get your flat like happened with my parents), if you are tulip you might have to share same room.

My family was in a queue to buy car (Lada) for like 15 years I think - after that inflation destroyed all savings
    FIL had a Zaporozhets, fukn awful it was, now he's got a Lada Sputnik, and that's a shed too but at least it starts.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied

Basically after uni everyone got job - best people (based on grades or they were snitches to KGB whilst at uni) get good jobs, the rest will get tulip jobs. Good jobs would mean you might get your own room in a hostel like studenty dorms (you might need to be PhD with children to get your flat like happened with my parents), if you are tulip you might have to share same room.

My family was in a queue to buy car (Lada) for like 15 years I think - after that inflation destroyed all savings

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Don't think this is strictly true, what happened was, when you left uni you expressed a preference for where you wanted to go, and flats where allocated according to need

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    "To" actually - it was the Soviet version of the book with a more appropriate ending - the baddies (fascists) died and the main hero married that girl and took her back to Soviet Union where he was from. The bells in this context symbolized happy marriage because there were no divorces in USSR.

HTH
    For whom the bell tolls - Po kom zvonit' kolokol,

To whom the bell tolls - Komu zvonit' kolokol...

Second one doesn't make much sense, first one is the correct translation and the one used in Russian. I bloody knew that Russian degree would get used one day...

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    "To" actually - it was the Soviet version of the book
    HTH
    In that case, I am happy to report that I have just finished 'The Cherry garden' by Checkov
    and 'Obstretician Zchivago'

Russian git

Leave a comment:

Working...
X