• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Currys and PC World"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    However, a lot of the mainstream idiots who buy from these stores do so on credit something which online retailers don't offer.
    As I found out in the 1990s, these places often offer cheap or zero interest credit and if you pay cash you can get something knocked off. I used to buy at the end of the month when salesmen would be keen to hit their targets.

You don't get that room for negotiation on a web site.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    However, a lot of the mainstream idiots who buy from these stores do so on credit something which online retailers don't offer.
    A lot of online retailers offer credit also, and there are always credit cards...

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I think you may find in recession people look how to save money and online shopping is perfect for that.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    I was in Staples over the weekend with a friend intended on picking up something for his girlfriend, and we were the only ones in there, apart from about 10 staff.

Turns out they didn't stock the item he was after so he's getting it off the internet, where I would have started anyway. Especially when the internet prices including delivery are still cheaper than these big stores charge (and need to to cover their massive overheads).
    What a coincidence, I was in staples yesterday trying to find a glass desk mat I'd seen on their website as I wanted a look before I bought one.

I was told it wasn't something they held in store so I ordered one from somewhere else.

To be fair Currys online is often one of the cheapest and you have the added convenience of a physical shop to take your frustration out on if things go wrong. I used the store as a showroom and then ordered online when a bought a tumble dryer a few months back.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    NSFW

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    True, but the country is overflowing with idiots. Enough idiots with money to buy electronics and they can keep in business for a while yet

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    True, but the country is overflowing with idiots. Enough idiots with money to buy electronics and they can keep in business for a while yet
    I think you may find in recession people look how to save money and online shopping is perfect for that.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Occasional and emergency shopping market segment can't sustain such hugely costly operations...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Occasional and emergency shopping market segment can't sustain such hugely costly operations...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    The reason the likes of Dixons, PC World and Comet exist is if you want something there and then, and can't wait up to 3 days for delivery.

For example when I wanted a cheap digital camera for one of my friends' weddings this year I just popped into Comet and got one on sale.

Yes I could have got a better one online but unfortunately I was going to my mates parents house a few hours later. As they live in the middle of no where it's not practical to try next day delivery.

Likewise when people break their laptops and need a new one asap they pop into the likes of these shops and get one. However if they can wait a few days they order them online, and actually most of the people I know often buy the accessories online as they are happy to wait for them.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I just bought a TV from Comet, but online. I looked online for the best price, and it was going to be about £530, but I waited two days and looked again and Comet had it for £480. I guess the instore price is probably more, but you have to wonder given they're selling online too and at decent prices why they're even bothering with shops.

But I suppose there must be enough people buying from the shops to make it worth their while, or they wouldn't have lasted this long.
    That's the thing.

These types of stores are perfect for Mr & Mrs Smith who live in a three-bed semi with a Mondeo in the drive and 2.2 kids who just want the convenience of popping down to the local retail park at the weekend to see a so called expert who will guide them on their purchase.

They go in requiring a laptop and end up walking out with bundles of software which they may not need, is more than they need or an equivalent (legal) product could have been downloaded from the internet for free as well as an insurance policy that will insure the laptop for a monthly fee which they will still be paying long after the laptop should be exhibited in a museum.

If only they put in a small amount of effort into researching their purchase they would be quids in and wouldn't have to deal with these stores post-purchase if the item goes wrong.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I just bought a TV from Comet, but online. I looked online for the best price, and it was going to be about £530, but I waited two days and looked again and Comet had it for £480. I guess the instore price is probably more, but you have to wonder given they're selling online too and at decent prices why they're even bothering with shops.

But I suppose there must be enough people buying from the shops to make it worth their while, or they wouldn't have lasted this long.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    I've got a Best Buy nearby and don't understand how it will survive, it's dearer than online stores and it's only selling point is that it's supposed to be cheaper than other similar retail stores

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Pissy Werld

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    I'm amazed that these types of store manage to make profit at all. They must have huge overheads.

I was in Staples over the weekend with a friend intended on picking up something for his girlfriend, and we were the only ones in there, apart from about 10 staff.

Turns out they didn't stock the item he was after so he's getting it off the internet, where I would have started anyway. Especially when the internet prices including delivery are still cheaper than these big stores charge (and need to to cover their massive overheads).

Maybe the internet will kill off this type of store and we'll get back the small family outfits on the high street, selling fresh or interesting local produce. Just need those squatters in Bristol to defeat Tesco first.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    started a topic Currys and PC World

Currys and PC World

Getting panned on BBC1.

Don't get done, get Dom.

Working...
X