• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Cutlery Etiquette

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cutlery Etiquette"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    You're all so lower-middle class.
    Aristos like me share something in common with the working class - we don't give a tulip.
    Its all the boring squeezed middle who actually waste time about trivia like cutlery etiquette.*
    Kings and peasants belch and fart in public.

*Of course I know all about which fish knife is which and that you have to eat your soup with the spoon moving away from you, but I wouldn't be so non-U and ill-mannered as to point out to a guest if they were doing something wrong.
    Serviette rings

So lower-middle class. Proper folks put used napkins (not serviettes) in the laundry after use.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    If you put them either side in Belgium, then expect to have your plate taken away as it means you have finished.
    In a non-posh restaurant in France you are expected to use the same knife and fork for the main course as you did for he started. Is that the same thing?

Leaving both fully on the plate in France can have the same result. If I remember correctly, the sign for "I haven't finished yet" is to leave both knife and fork ends on the plate with that handles on the table.

Having learnt the French customs, I would leave my knife and fork any old how on the plate when done, especially when dining with my parents. This had the very satisfying result of winding my mother up.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    It's more practical to rest your fork with the tynes up, because that way it's less likely to roll over and slide off the plate when the waiter picks this up.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    now here is something that's sadly gone out of fashion. In the good old days, waiters would give you your plate from the left, and remove it from the right. Nowadays it's anybody's guess.

In my formative years, I developed an instinct of bobbing in the right direction whenever I sensed a waiter behind me. But now that just gives me a 50/50 chance of leaning into a plate of chops.

We're going to hell in a handcart I tell you.
    No one seems to train waiting staff how to serve food and wine properly these days.

Only in fine dining establishments will you find that they serve from the correct side.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    It's simple good manners. If one is well-bred, like one is, it is second nature.

Girl friends are a problem and notoriously difficult to educate, like

dont eat with yer gob open dear
    place yer knife and fork just so dear
    it's knife and fork, not fork'n knife dear
    dont leave your dirty knickers lying round, stick em to the wall dear

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Well that I didn't know

Am I am chav?
    Not if you put your knife and fork together after eating.

There are apparently a generation of 4 and 5 year olds coming into schools not knowing how to use cutlery at all.

So when they are 21/22 those that can use a knife and fork to eat, regardless of where they place it at the end of a meal, who will be the elite.

Edit to say: If you don't make it obvious to the waiting staff that you have finished with your food then expect them to remove it from you when you haven't finished, or to give up and ignore you.

Leave a comment:

• TopBanana
    replied
    A friend of mine does this when we go out for pizza. Completely oblivious.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post

Well that I didn't know

Am I am chav?
    TBO, I think that's more of a "faux gentile" thing, like using fish knives.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Tines down
    Well that I didn't know

Am I am chav?

Leave a comment:

• Sands of Time
    replied
    I like doing things properly.

Bing!

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Only on CUK could a bunch of dull IT nerds argue about the angle of ******* cutlery.

Jeez.
    Yes, and at 8:05pm too. Jeez.

P.S. Must say I'd forgotten about the tynes down thing. But now I have a vague recollection of it being because the waiter might poke their hand on upturned tynes.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Only on CUK could a bunch of dull IT nerds argue about the angle of ******* cutlery.

Jeez.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    now here is something that's sadly gone out of fashion. In the good old days, waiters would give you your plate from the left, and remove it from the right. Nowadays it's anybody's guess.

In my formative years, I developed an instinct of bobbing in the right direction whenever I sensed a waiter behind me. But now that just gives me a 50/50 chance of leaning into a plate of chops.

We're going to hell in a handcart I tell you.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Aristos like me share something in common with the working class - we don't give a tulip.
    Its all the boring squeezed middle who actually waste time about trivia like cutlery etiquette.*

*Of course I know all about which fish knife is which and that you have to eat your soup with the spoon moving away from you, but I wouldn't be so non-U and ill-mannered as to point out to a guest if they were doing something wrong.
    A lot of etiquette isn't just about "the done thing" and trying to show up people with Shibolleths.

It's showing consideration for others, in this case the waiter hovering around not knowing what to do.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied

Thanks for the input sas. We all know your missus has to cut your food up for you as you are such a gurning slobbering retard, but I guess you just like to feel involved in the thread somehow eh?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X