• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cutlery Etiquette

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    It's not snobbery, just good manners, like not eating with your mouth open or licking your knife.

I like the fact that you call her your Girl Fiend ! I'm sure it was no accident
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Definitely bad form IMHO

Almost as bad as people who use just their fork as some sort of cutting/shovel-like implement - yankee style.

Also, based on my last dining out experience, elbows on the table is now accepted practise.

WTS

My pet hate is eating with your mouth open. It's like watching a cow chew the cud. I still shout at my brother for this. Pretty sure he only does it to piss me off.

My sister is totally anal about the knife & fork thing. Knife & fork should be together facing away. Tines down. My dad does tines up just to wind her up and she goes mental.

Bumfluff, God love you, I thought things were on the up girlfriend(fiend!!)-wise since the mentalist ex, but no table manners doesn't bode well
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
      WTS

My pet hate is eating with your mouth open. It's like watching a cow chew the cud. I still shout at my brother for this. Pretty sure he only does it to piss me off.

My sister is totally anal about the knife & fork thing. Knife & fork should be together facing away. Tines down. My dad does tines up just to wind her up and she goes mental.

Bumfluff, God love you, I thought things were on the up girlfriend(fiend!!)-wise since the mentalist ex, but no table manners doesn't bode well
      PS - I'm guilty of elbows on the table. Sorry Pondy
      Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
        on eating with her family all 3 generations of them none of them put there cutlery together so I can see where she picked it up from
        You weren't alerted to the extreme possibility of potential issues of this nature when she wore a burberry fanny pelmet on your first date then?
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Your girlfriend is an embarrassment. Anybody with a shred of decency knows that when finished, cutlery should be placed together back in the bucket, with the clean-up tissue draped over the edge.

Kommon F---ing Courtesy.

tl

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            You weren't alerted to the extreme possibility of potential issues of this nature when she wore a burberry fanny pelmet on your first date then?
            Do you know her lol, your quite close with that one to be honest . I'm glad its not just me who thinks it slightly odd. I've tried to talk to her about it as she has a customer facing job and often eats out with clients.

Comment

You're all so lower-middle class.
              Aristos like me share something in common with the working class - we don't give a tulip.
              Its all the boring squeezed middle who actually waste time about trivia like cutlery etiquette.*
              Kings and peasants belch and fart in public.

*Of course I know all about which fish knife is which and that you have to eat your soup with the spoon moving away from you, but I wouldn't be so non-U and ill-mannered as to point out to a guest if they were doing something wrong.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Aristos like me share something in common with the working class - we don't give a tulip.
                Its all the boring squeezed middle who actually waste time about trivia like cutlery etiquette.*

*Of course I know all about which fish knife is which and that you have to eat your soup with the spoon moving away from you, but I wouldn't be so non-U and ill-mannered as to point out to a guest if they were doing something wrong.
                Thanks for the input sas. We all know your missus has to cut your food up for you as you are such a gurning slobbering retard, but I guess you just like to feel involved in the thread somehow eh?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

A lot of etiquette isn't just about "the done thing" and trying to show up people with Shibolleths.

It's showing consideration for others, in this case the waiter hovering around not knowing what to do.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

now here is something that's sadly gone out of fashion. In the good old days, waiters would give you your plate from the left, and remove it from the right. Nowadays it's anybody's guess.

In my formative years, I developed an instinct of bobbing in the right direction whenever I sensed a waiter behind me. But now that just gives me a 50/50 chance of leaning into a plate of chops.

We're going to hell in a handcart I tell you.

Comment

Only on CUK could a bunch of dull IT nerds argue about the angle of ******* cutlery.

Jeez.

Comment

Working...
                      X