• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: barbecues

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "barbecues"

Collapse

• hyperD
    replied
    Not sure Pondy, I've had my Weber for about 8 years and has been mostly left outside. Still works, not rusted, can cater for medium sized party crowds.

I guess corrosion could be a problem with cheaper varieties.

The Weber charcoal might be more expensive as well but it lasts longer in the BBQ.

Lovely day today - quite tempted to have a BBQ myself.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Numpty question maybe... but what makes the Weber charcoal ones that much better than any other make?

Apart from the kebab shop style accessories.

I'm off to B&Q shortly as it's such a lovely day.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Hey benes old boy, try marinating some steaks (go for 28 day matured rump from a good butchers, lots of flavour and tender, unlike supermarket produce) in mirin wine and dark soy sauce with some garlic, ginger, sesame oil and some rich molasses.

Leave it in the fridge marinating for at least day and then take it out and let it get to room temp before flash BBQing it.

Or eat it raw like I do.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    cool good to know thanks luv

hey,

on Sunday a friend and family are coming over, will be doing the first grill of the year.

Friend is Muslim and therefore I was thinking, chicken or beef

Obviously I am not planning to pess about with steaks, and will be running the rotisserie

ok, we can put a couple of marienated chickens on the rotisserie

but, question luv,

do you know any interesting things I can do with like beef joints/steaks, I mean marinate them, pile them on the rotisserrie skewer, separated by onions and peppers etc and wrapped in tin foil for a couple of hours then an hour in the open to brown off

anything you can recommend for beef, what cuts to buy etc combination with onions etc for the rotisserie

thanks,

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    alright Norahhe luv,

slow roasting meats in the winter time

I've wondered about that too but isn't it too cold outside and the weber has no insulation

what is the coldest outdoor temperature you've run in

and what is the internal temperature of the weber while doing this ?

Milan.
    1 or 2 degrees and you just need to keep topping up the briquettes more often. Temp inside was 120 to 150

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    thanks Hyper :-)

How's the TVR ?

Milan.
    No problems benes old chap.

The Tuscan is in desperate need of a service from those good chaps at Racing Green - took the old girl out for a spin last weekend in the good weather - had it been a pedigree I think Charles would have put her down with the trusty William Evans.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Check the park and common byelaws or laws (depending what park you live next to.)

Lots of parks and commons state that you cannot have open fires including barbecues due to the risk of fire.

Quite a few of the parks and commons near me are Nature Reserves so fire damage can ruin the ecosystem for endangered insects and other bugs.

And yes the police do randomly enforce them.

Nope completely different experience.

For one you get a guy cooking while you get to drink a glass of wine (or a bottle), and do nothing after you have prepared the salad. .

SH I'll give you that, it is very sociable, basically, summer kitchen outside, so from the perspective of everybody being together charcoal or gas doesn't matter

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    thanks Hyper :-)

How's the TVR ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    alright Norahhe luv,

I've wondered about that too but isn't it too cold outside and the weber has no insulation

Milan.
    Stick your finger in the embers and see if it's hot enough!

If you put the lid on the Weber, not only do you get the full effect of the smokiness, you avoid any localised cooking. Despite the low specific heat capacity and high conductivity of stainless steel, it is enough to provide the oven effect if you keep the lid on while cooking due to thermal radiation, convection and conduction.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    If you are a city person without a back garden then the disposable barbecues are good. I have used them at our local park a few times and they work a treat.
    Check the park and common byelaws or laws (depending what park you live next to.)

Lots of parks and commons state that you cannot have open fires including barbecues due to the risk of fire.

Quite a few of the parks and commons near me are Nature Reserves so fire damage can ruin the ecosystem for endangered insects and other bugs.

And yes the police do randomly enforce them.

Originally posted by russell View Post
    If I had a garden then using a gas barbecues would seem to me to be missing the point, why not just cook in your kitchen if you want the convenience? Pure laziness.
    Nope completely different experience.

For one you get a guy cooking while you get to drink a glass of wine (or a bottle), and do nothing after you have prepared the salad. .

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    alright Norahhe luv,

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    you should get this book too...

Weber's Way to Grill: The Step-By-Step Guide to Expert Grilling Sunset Books: Amazon.co.uk: Jamie Purviance, Weber Grills: Books

yum

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    weber for me as well. I even use it in winter for slow rasting meats.

unlike milan i'm not on commission for the rotisserie gadget

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    You can just slap the raw naan on the inside wall of your oven - does the job.

Leave a comment:

• pacharan
    replied
    Also thinking of building a makeshift brick bread oven so I can do Arabic breads and pizza too. Bing

Leave a comment:

Working...
X