• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New tax year, New divies. What will you be doing?"

Collapse

• Fishface
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Just chucked a chunk at my Latin America fund,
    bad move.

tariffs, protectionism, hyperinflation are on the point of wrecking that region.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Just chucked a chunk at my Latin America fund, I am looking at buying Sainsbury, AZN and having a punt at CWW

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by xchaotic View Post
    Agree with that opinion 100% - money left in cash is effectively a negative investment that is bound to lose value against anything else with govts printing money as quickly as they do now.
    Even ignoring the printing of money, when RPI is 5%+ and the base rate is almost zero, everyone holding cash is being robbed blind.

A house with land will always be a house with land, an asset you can live in or rent out and there is no capital gains tax to pay (you can flip them like the MPs do) and you can derive an income from it when you are old and rents tend to follow inflation. You can then leave this wealth to your kids (move to a country with no death taxes FFS before you get too old though!).

So buy gold, buy property, buy fine wine or stamps or art or something, or solid defensive high yield stocks.

Just don't hold cash.

Leave a comment:

• xchaotic
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Though perhaps it would be better investing it (e.g. property) if you have the additional allowance e.g. via a partner.
    Agree with that opinion 100% - money left in cash is effectively a negative investment that is bound to lose value against anything else with govts printing money as quickly as they do now.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
    OR

Funds left in the company to fund retirement, PRE-retirement age
    Though perhaps it would be better investing it (e.g. property) if you have the additional allowance e.g. via a partner.

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied
    2) Profits left in the company for a rainy day
    OR

Funds left in the company to fund retirement, PRE-retirement age

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    That's from pure ISA share dealing or are you dipping your toes into spread betting as well (can't remember from the other threads)?
    In any case I was going to ask about BP too, as it does sound sensible to look into it...
    I don't do spread betting only ISA share dealing. BP and Shell are great shares to get when they go down. I managed to buy Shell at their recent dip and just sold them a couple of days ago when they were at the top (though they may yet go much higher).

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Probably cheaper than maintaining a girlfriend or wife.....
    You've met my Ex then?

Leave a comment:

• xchaotic
    replied
    Buy and sell Shell, BP, United Utilities, ARM. If you are able to ride the waves for those then you will make a fortune. I have bought and sold Shell 2 times in the last 6 months. However made quite a loss on a bad recommendation of Randgold Resources. Also try out BATS and IMT.
    That's from pure ISA share dealing or are you dipping your toes into spread betting as well (can't remember from the other threads)?
    In any case I was going to ask about BP too, as it does sound sensible to look into it...

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Since I aim to avoid paying higher rate tax, and want to put 10k into my and my wife's ISAs (also saving for a deposit on a house), I ironically find myself in the position of figuring out what to do with company profits, while having to live fairly sensibly.
    2 way warchest -
    1) Your own personal savings
    2) Profits left in the company for a rainy day

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Since I aim to avoid paying higher rate tax, and want to put 10k into my and my wife's ISAs (also saving for a deposit on a house), I ironically find myself in the position of figuring out what to do with company profits, while having to live fairly sensibly.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Well done. On your way to property millionairedom.
    Thanks! The kebab shop it's on top of is not at all smelly.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Probably cheaper than maintaining a girlfriend or wife.....
    Yeah PAYG, no contract. Plus the 'golf courses' are always open, and you can play all 3 holes if you want.

I'll probably be helping fund my parents moving into a bungalow now they're too old and knackered to use stairs easily. Trying to delay them via renting first, to see if prices come down significantly in the next year or so. I dread the thought of piling my hard earned into bricks and mortar to see it in 'negative equity' within weeks.

Then again with real inflation outstripping interest rates by a significant margin, maybe cash or normal savings aren't a good idea either.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Straight into ISAs up to the max, the rest I hope will suffice to cover the cost of living over the year.
    Any good mid- to long term stock recommendations? Preferably on LSE, but I'm also thinking about Sony as it still hasn't rebounded after the quake...
    Buy and sell Shell, BP, United Utilities, ARM. If you are able to ride the waves for those then you will make a fortune. I have bought and sold Shell 2 times in the last 6 months. However made quite a loss on a bad recommendation of Randgold Resources. Also try out BATS and IMT.

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    I did consider this, but then changed my mind.

I'm fast coming to the view, maybe getting older is something to do with it, that life is to be lived.

I work hard and that enables me to enjoy my life. Watching a pension grow, share portfolio graphs or the number of BTLs increase is not my idea of living. After all you can't take it with you and you may depart sooner than you plan and you could have done so much more.

Fast bikes, fast cars, great holidays and good food.
    Well, yes, life is to be lived, I completely agree... but this little annoying thing called work keeps getting in the way so idea being that the warchest becomes big enough that it actually no longer needs topping up.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X