• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Question about nice areas to live in Surrey/West London area"

Collapse

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    The tube stops at Wimbledon. Hence my earlier suggestion.
    I think Wimbledon is a bit too expensive and a bit too close to London.

So far I'm liking Weybridge, Esher and perhaps Surbiton and also the Oxshott and Cobham areas.

Woking sounds like it's a bit grim so I'll avoid.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Chavtowns - Woking

Chavtowns - Woking again

In Dantes Inferno he describes that there are in fact 7 levels of hell and on the bottom level you will find Judas Iscariot in a block of ice. Well that’s bollocks. You will in fact find the town of Woking.

Leave a comment:

• Fishface
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    What is Woking like?

I can see it has got a big Mosque in the middle.

Is it jam packed full of peace lovers?

Should I give it a wide berth?
    There are no decent restaurants in Woking.

Lots of dirty kebab/pizza/pasta/burger shops.

An awful 'tapas' place. And an italian run by vietnamese.

Lots of commuters. Lots of chavs - weekend nights in the town are hellish.

Gardeners get paid more than most IT contractors.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I'm going underground, underground.....
    The tube stops at Wimbledon. Hence my earlier suggestion.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by singhr View Post
    I think you will find the Jam moved on some time ago, although I understand Rick Buckler might have a furniture business down that way
    I'm going underground, underground.....

Leave a comment:

• singhr
    replied
    I think you will find the Jam moved on some time ago, although I understand Rick Buckler might have a furniture business down that way

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    What is Woking like?

I can see it has got a big Mosque in the middle.

Should I give it a wide berth?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

I think I'll become a pool cleaner in Surrey.

Weybridge area

Weybridge - Google Maps
    There's a young lady sunbathing topless next to one of those.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I think I'll become a pool cleaner in Surrey.

Weybridge area

Weybridge - Google Maps

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I think this thread shows what happens when dreams come up against cold hard reality and you discover you are very poor compared to them rich southerners after all.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    That was one of my suggestions too - Lived there for a while when I was a nipper.
    I know it was your suggestion.

But he won't be able to afford to live there.

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    Wow, there's some nice places in and around there with 35 minute journey time to Victoria and big houses for less than £1M rather than £5M in other areas.

There must be a catch?

I'm not sure if it counts as a catch or as a bonus, but Woldingham School has a large number of posh rich girls.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Wow, there's some nice places in and around there with 35 minute journey time to Victoria and big houses for less than £1M rather than £5M in other areas.

There must be a catch?
    The area itself isn't unpleasant, neither are some of the others around there e.g. Whyteleafe or Caterham, but your local "big town" is Croydon, which is a total tulip hole.

The trains are only every half an hour, and to get into the city or canary wharf takes another 20+ minutes on the tube, which makes the total journey time closer to an hour. Caterham has trains every 15 minutes into London Bridge, but they take a bit longer.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    It didn't come off in the end, but I was looking at a reasonable 2 bed flat in Iver, Bucks a few weeks ago. Within walking distance of Iver station which (IIRC) goes into Paddington. I thought it was a fair deal at the price and I thought Iver seemed OK-ish but I am not entirely sure about it. I didn't buy it in the end, I chickened out. Living in two parts of the UK at once just ended up seeming like hard work.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

There must be a catch?
    Biggin Hill airport, about four miles north east of Woldingham, with the runway pointing straight at it?

Wouldn't bother me, but I dare say might give pause for thought to someone who could afford a £5m house.

edit: Removed bit about Woldingham possibly having traffic pinch points, as a close up view shows several roads from it.
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 5 April 2011, 09:03.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X