• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Tempting

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Tempting"

Collapse

• Mason Boyne
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I gave my DD hammock its first field trial in the south of France last week. I'd packed light, using only aircraft cabin luggage space for my sports bag containing a hammock, micro sleeping bag, a micro sleeping bag liner, beach towel and the old faith string and bin liners, plus odds and ends such as 100ml of sunscreen (max allowed) and electronic gear. So armed with a cheap Ryanair ticket and having prepared the ground by marking forests and MacDonald locations on a map, I was all set to test the Frenchies on their grasp of English.

First night, after I'd crept into a suitable forest at twilight, I optimistically retired in only my underpants and awoke shivering around 1 am to dress a little more, and an hour or two later to dress even more. Later, I also inserted my towel between the layers of the duel layered hammock base. It gets surprisingly cool in a hammock, even in temperate weather. It must be around or above 16 degrees C I thought and I'm shivering! Sadly, adding towel insulation to the base of the hammock did not work as well as might have been hoped, as the towel just gets rolled into a sausage as soon as one let's go of the stretched open slippery hammock layers. A semi-rigid insulator would be needed and that would mean more luggage to cart around and I was ultra-lite.

I never really felt comfortable that first night and the hammock restricted movements to an extent that I thought my sleeping bag was too small in both length and width, as I was never able to zip it all the way up and adjusting things was a struggle, though I later discovered that outside of my hammock I can just about zip my sleeping bag up, though doing so makes me feel trapped and tempted to take a knife in with me just in case the zipper gets stuck, to which it appears prone. The sleeping bag is a 'micro lite' and can be compressed to the size of a grapefruit, and as such offers little defence against a light breeze. I discovered I'd broken yet another pair of shoes from all the walking that day too. I had been half expecting a bit of a walk as, after everyone got off the airport bus and I travelled on alone, I got out my compass and it read north when I thought it would ideally point south. Maybe there's a magnetic field around here or are due to head south any minute now I pondered. It's not an electric bus though I further mused, would there be a motor or a source of magnetism in the rear axle of a bus and anyway how far can 1 Euro 20 get you? Quite a long way in France seems, much further than in the UK. Lakes, swamps, railway lines, irrigation channels, motorways and thick undergrowth meant my trousers looked as if I'd been roughing it for a good few days already, only a few hours after arriving in France. Fortunately I 'd bought water from the only shop I'd passed earlier in the day, and had actually turned around to go back and buy it. Not that I'd have got desperately thirsty or would be short of a place to kip, but it's nice to stay hydrated on the first day with uncertainties ahead.

Next night I decided to retire fully dressed and selected a nice hill-top position on top of the highest wooded hill around. The view was great. However, I discovered in the early morning that this was also an exposed position and the wind picked up in the night, and even fully dressed woke up shivering once again. Not as much or as often as the night before though, so that was small progress.

Next night I went back to a less exposed position and stayed warm, but though the comfort level of the hammock was increasing nightly, the forest floor of pine needles tempted me with the prospect of laying flat and not needing to turn adjusting a sleeping bag into a struggle. In the morning I usually end up central to the sleeping back with my legs elevated, which isn't ideal.

So the hammock wasn't as comfortable as hoped in its first big field test. I'd need to carry more kit and get more used to it and I'm not sure it's worth it before exploring further ultra-lite, ultra-cheap options. I'd ideally change the cords on the hammock, which seems to be a popular thing to do with this hammock, as this was probably the source of some overnight sagging that I'd experienced, and I'd need to insulate the bottom somehow. Doable, but next thing to try is probably a bivvy bag and a return to forest floor dwelling!
    If you added the fact that you'd been shagged senseless by the local male lifeguard you'd have sounded just like Gricerboy there.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I gave my DD hammock its first field trial in the south of France last week. I'd packed light, using only aircraft cabin luggage space for my sports bag containing a hammock, micro sleeping bag, a micro sleeping bag liner, beach towel and the old faith string and bin liners, plus odds and ends such as 100ml of sunscreen (max allowed) and electronic gear. So armed with a cheap Ryanair ticket and having prepared the ground by marking forests and MacDonald locations on a map, I was all set to test the Frenchies on their grasp of English.

First night, after I'd crept into a suitable forest at twilight, I optimistically retired in only my underpants and awoke shivering around 1 am to dress a little more, and an hour or two later to dress even more. Later, I also inserted my towel between the layers of the duel layered hammock base. It gets surprisingly cool in a hammock, even in temperate weather. It must be around or above 16 degrees C I thought and I'm shivering! Sadly, adding towel insulation to the base of the hammock did not work as well as might have been hoped, as the towel just gets rolled into a sausage as soon as one let's go of the stretched open slippery hammock layers. A semi-rigid insulator would be needed and that would mean more luggage to cart around and I was ultra-lite.

I never really felt comfortable that first night and the hammock restricted movements to an extent that I thought my sleeping bag was too small in both length and width, as I was never able to zip it all the way up and adjusting things was a struggle, though I later discovered that outside of my hammock I can just about zip my sleeping bag up, though doing so makes me feel trapped and tempted to take a knife in with me just in case the zipper gets stuck, to which it appears prone. The sleeping bag is a 'micro lite' and can be compressed to the size of a grapefruit, and as such offers little defence against a light breeze. I discovered I'd broken yet another pair of shoes from all the walking that day too. I had been half expecting a bit of a walk as, after everyone got off the airport bus and I travelled on alone, I got out my compass and it read north when I thought it would ideally point south. Maybe there's a magnetic field around here or are due to head south any minute now I pondered. It's not an electric bus though I further mused, would there be a motor or a source of magnetism in the rear axle of a bus and anyway how far can 1 Euro 20 get you? Quite a long way in France seems, much further than in the UK. Lakes, swamps, railway lines, irrigation channels, motorways and thick undergrowth meant my trousers looked as if I'd been roughing it for a good few days already, only a few hours after arriving in France. Fortunately I 'd bought water from the only shop I'd passed earlier in the day, and had actually turned around to go back and buy it. Not that I'd have got desperately thirsty or would be short of a place to kip, but it's nice to stay hydrated on the first day with uncertainties ahead.

Next night I decided to retire fully dressed and selected a nice hill-top position on top of the highest wooded hill around. The view was great. However, I discovered in the early morning that this was also an exposed position and the wind picked up in the night, and even fully dressed woke up shivering once again. Not as much or as often as the night before though, so that was some small progress.

Next night I went back to a less exposed position and stayed warm, but though the comfort level of the hammock was increasing nightly, the forest floor of pine needles tempted me with the prospect of laying flat and not needing to turn adjusting a sleeping bag into a struggle. In the morning I usually end up central to the sleeping back with my legs elevated, which isn't ideal.

So the hammock wasn't as comfortable as hoped in its first big field test. I'd need to carry more kit and get more used to it and I'm not sure it's worth it before exploring further ultra-lite, ultra-cheap options. I'd ideally change the cords on the hammock, which seems to be a popular thing to do with this hammock, as this was probably the source of some overnight sagging that I'd experienced, and I'd need to insulate the bottom somehow. Doable, but next thing to try is probably a bivvy bag and a return to forest floor dwelling!
    Last edited by TimberWolf; 21 June 2011, 15:56.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Well I strengthened my door hinges and had another hang. Seems nice and comfy! I also fixed up a ridge line, all the knots I need, mozzy net and tried out the tarp I bought from the £1 shop (a touch small, but it's functional). And I managed to get the Hammock back into its sack.

Hammock, sleeping bag, tarp and sleeping mat all fit snugly into the bottom few inches of my sports bag, with room to spare above and hardly any metal in sight (just zippers) It may be that only an aircraft cabin (sports) bag will do, especially as bulky items like water and sunscreen are verboten. Hmm!

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Now, would it look weird going into the woods to put up a hammock, or should I wait until dusk to walk furtively into the woods carrying a bag like normal people?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Update

Well my DD Travel hammock arrived by recoded delivery this morning, one day after ordering. It looks good. I'm wondering whether I will get it back in its stuff sack.

I did a quick test hang off some door hinges indoors, and laying in it seemed quite comfortable, but I was low dangling and in a slight banana-ish position, because I put it hanging low such so as not to fall far should the door hinges gave out. With cords pulled more taut, to get the hammock horizontal (top door hinge height), as I began to test my weight I heard the door hinges start to give. So I haven't done a full test, which will have to wait for a field trial.

Now, would it look weird going into the woods to put up a hammock, or should I wait until dusk to walk furtively into the woods carrying a bag like normal people?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    It's easier to have sex (either alone or with someone) in a tent, compared to a hammock.
    Thanks TF, we can always rely on you to remind us where our priorities should be

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    It's easier to have sex (either alone or with someone) in a tent, compared to a hammock.

Leave a comment:

• fragglerock
    replied
    Make sure you have a very good sleeping mat (Thermarest are best!) for inside your hammock, it can be very cold if there is any sort of wind blowing even if the weather is warm during the day.

Also look into different manufacturers Hennessy are the best in my opinion, especially if you are anywhere with midges or mosquitoes

http://hennessyhammock.com

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Well I am tempted no more, as I just bought the Travel Hammock/Bivvy. Woo Hoo!

I expect I'll post my experiences here once I try it out <considers whether to nip into the local woods one night to give it a swing>
    Do let us know what it's like in real life.

Maybe planning a rather long walk next year and it looks like it would be ideal.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Thats actually pretty cool, and has just gone on my list of kit for a potential plan for next year.

Well I am tempted no more, as I just bought the Travel Hammock/Bivvy. Woo Hoo!

I expect I'll post my experiences here once I try it out <considers whether to nip into the local woods one night to give it a swing>

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    zzzzzzZZzzzzz

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Pitching in places tents fear to tread

oops

Sleeper above sleeper

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Poundland's tent:
    £1

Need a stool? £1

Don't leave tent without this: £1

All those and other camping accessories £1
    http://www.poundland.co.uk/top-tips/camping/

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Nice idea - some tents can be v compact and lightweight though, and I'd prefer those as it'd take less time to set up, and provide more protection from the elements. Two examples:
    Camouflage Ultralight Cuben Fiber Tent - Hyperlite Mountain Gear
    YouTube - Solo ultra light compact tent setup - Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 - good bike touring camping shelter
    Nice tents, but I'm thinking of pitching up in places where :-
    (i) camping isn't strictly appreciated, so a low profile is better, and
    (ii) where the ground is likely be rocky, uneven, on a slope, wooded and generally not ideally suited for tents without a lot of groundwork
    e.g. hoping from one site to another around the Canary islands as my whim pleases me and having a good explore.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    And I might add, some of those wooded places on a cliff top overlooking an azure ocean whose waves lap gently in the wind would probably be locations restricted to the VIP or political classes for you hotel users/suckers. For free.
    and in the next episode, TimberWolf will introduce you to the earnings potential of a world class superspy.

Stay tuned folks. Same time. Same channel. Next week.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X