• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How should you drive a sports car?"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    I believe that there was a report recently that showed electric cars caused just as much CO2 emissions as petrol cars, in fact some petrol cars were shown to have lower emissions. Due to the amount of electricity needed to power the cars then the emissions from the power stations are greater. Admittedly the power stations do have procedures in place to recycle some of these emissions it still does show the fallacy in the electric vs. petrol debate. What I don't think was taken into account are the chemicals used in the creation of the batteries nor the recycling of them (pretty much like the recent ****-up with normal lightbulbs and those stupid energy saving ones.)

Oh, and the electric cars are quite a lot more expensive than their petrol counterparts.

Greens are only good boiled or fried with a nice bit of meat

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I can't wait for Sally Traffic saying long delays because somebody's had a meltdown on the M25. Or the day I can say "I'm sorry I'm late. My car had a china syndrome on the A34 and I had to call the AAA*."

*Atomic Automobile Association.

Ah, but another great beauty of nuclear power is that meltdowns will be covered up and the clean-up costs will be borne by the taxpayer. It's the ideal fuel. And you'll be long gone before it transpires that the AAA men received lethal doses.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Fancy a nuclear powered car?
    I can't wait for Sally Traffic saying long delays because somebody's had a meltdown on the M25. Or the day I can say "I'm sorry I'm late. My car had a china syndrome on the A34 and I had to call the AAA*."

*Atomic Automobile Association.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Another here, that doesn't require you to cover your house in solar panels.

How about a nuclear powered hydrogen car? Spent fuel rods aren't in short supply (even described as 'waste') and will happily generate hydrogen if mishandled. It could blow your roof off though. Either that or buy the hydrogen off the Japenese who aren't in short supply of H, but then you've still got the storage problem.

Nuclear plants may be clean hydrogen source

Hell, yeah!

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Another here, that doesn't require you to cover your house in solar panels.

How about a nuclear powered hydrogen car? Spent fuel rods aren't in short supply (even described as 'waste') and will happily generate hydrogen if mishandled. It could blow your roof off though. Either that or buy the hydrogen off the Japenese who aren't in short supply of H, but then you've still got the storage problem.

Nuclear plants may be clean hydrogen source

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Hydrogen is a viable option although you don't generate the fuel quite as simply as that... however it appears fuel cells might still bypass that technology.
    Alternative energy technique to split hydrogen from water could lead to clean fuel, scientists say | Environment | guardian.co.uk

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Hydrogen is a viable option although you don't generate the fuel quite as simply as that... however it appears fuel cells might still bypass that technology.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Anyway, back to the topic - driving any car aggressively would use up more fuel as all fuel tests are designed for "normal" driving with particular emphasis on driving in a way that increases MPG in the test.
    Can we have some proper SKA news please.

Not how many GB of ram you have, but how close to being the first birmingham bedsit dwelling immigrant millionaire you are.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Anyway, back to the topic - driving any car aggressively would use up more fuel as all fuel tests are designed for "normal" driving with particular emphasis on driving in a way that increases MPG in the test.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I'd go with compressing it.

Not sure how safe a tonne of laptop batteries with a short circuit are either.
    Why not cut out the hydrogen and keep the compression bit? Compressed air energy storage is supposed to be as energy dense as lead-acid batteries and takes up less space than lithium-ion batteries, so it won't get you far. Refueling is quick though.

Or just make simple hydrocarbon liquid fuel, which I think can be done now without the aid of life.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    It makes a rubbish fuel though. It either needs to be compressed, which means a small heavy tank in the boot that might go boom, or frozen to near absolute zero, which isn't great either.
    I'd go with compressing it.

Not sure how safe a tonne of laptop batteries with a short circuit are either.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    There are industrial charges with high amps that can recharge those cars very quickly - 15-30 mins, it's not something you can find in average household though.

Give it 5-10 years and finally nanotubes will be good enough to create instantly chargeable batteries - after that sky is the limit.
    I bet that heats up the battery bank a bit. That's a lot of amps.

Or there is wireless energy transfer, Tesla (not the car) came up with this first as it happens, or electrified roads.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Surely a hydrogen car makes more sense.

The waste is H2O.

The fuel is H2O that needs electricity to split it. The fuel can be slowly formed using solar (PV) cells on the roof of your house. Off peak electricity (cheap tarrif) can be used to overnight too.
    It makes a rubbish fuel though. It either needs to be compressed, which means a small heavy tank in the boot that might go boom, or frozen to near absolute zero, which isn't great either.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Surely a hydrogen car makes more sense.

The waste is H2O.

The fuel is H2O that needs electricity to split it. The fuel can be slowly formed using solar (PV) cells on the roof of your house. Off peak electricity (cheap tarrif) can be used to overnight too.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    The difference being: Petrols cars take a couple of minutes to "recharge".
    There are industrial charges with high amps that can recharge those cars very quickly - 15-30 mins, it's not something you can find in average household though.

Give it 5-10 years and finally nanotubes will be good enough to create instantly chargeable batteries - after that sky is the limit.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X