• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A Blast From the Past"

Collapse

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
    Saw something today that I haven't seen in years as I passed through Dilton Marsh Halt this morning.

5 young boys stood in line exhibiting.
    You could just have stopped there and it would have been just as believable.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    You Love it really Churchie!

By the way, round the back of the Check Inn tonight as usual?
    No thanks. You're a sh!t shag - pun intended.

Leave a comment:

• gricerboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    You're about as funny as Julian Clary but not as butch - by that I mean not funny at all.
    You Love it really Churchie!

By the way, round the back of the Check Inn tonight as usual?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    You're about as funny as Julian Clary but not as butch - by that I mean not funny at all.
    I once went to a Julian Clary gig during the Glasgow Festival, and it was surprisingly funny.

I don't find Graham Norton funny though.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    I never was much of a kettlehead. Give me a thrash on a multiple unit any day!

Leave a comment:

• gricerboy
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I think there was one of those steamy things around here one weekend.

Having investigated the thermal efficiency of the design (6%), I can see why they changed to diesel.
    I never was much of a kettlehead. Give me a thrash on a multiple unit any day!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Briefly.

The flyash doesn't do the turbine bit a lot of good really.
    Yeah, it's abrasive and acidic but hey, the principle is sound!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Do you mean that the combustion chambers were to be injected with a coal-dust/air mixture?

Did he ever get such an engine working?
    He got it working with ground-nut oil (peanut).

You can also run a gas turbine on coal dust too.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    The diesel engine was originally designed to use powdered coal dust.

Not a lot of people know that.
    Do you mean that the combustion chambers were to be injected with a coal-dust/air mixture?

Did he ever get such an engine working?

Leave a comment:

• gricerboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    By the way, did you spot my pun there? Untrained eye? I think a is in order!

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Crosti-boilered BR 9F 2-10-0, hmmmm, my favourite....

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    While I was travelling through the Stonebridge Park area away from Euston not long ago, three middle-aged chaps suddenly leapt from their seats near me pointing excitedly out of the window in an easterly direction. Apparently there was a special unit on a parallel track about 100 yards away.

It didn't look anything out of the ordinary to my untrained eye, and unfortunately I can't remember what they said it was, but it made their day.

By the way, did you spot my pun there? Untrained eye? I think a is in order!

Leave a comment:

• gricerboy
    started a topic A Blast From the Past

A Blast From the Past

Saw something today that I haven't seen in years as I passed through Dilton Marsh Halt this morning.

5 young boys stood in line exhibiting a lightning quick swivel of the head akin to a Wimbledon spectator watching an Andy Murray serve as our 5 car unit passed by, each furiously scribbling down the number of his allotted carriage.

That said, I immediately called British Transport Police and suggested they be apprehended under the Prevention of Terrorism Act.

You just can't be too careful these days.

Working...
X