• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: AA or RAC?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "AA or RAC?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    Thats a joke right??
    yep

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    My RAC cover is due for renewal soon. Who do you prefer for breakdown cover, the big two or any of the others?
    I take the breakdown cover with my insurance, I think they use Greenflag and the only time I've had to use them they were at my door in half an hour.

That's with Admiral.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Don't forget, AA are a rip-off. If you want to join because you've run out of petrol, suddenly all those special offers aren't available.
    Thats a joke right??

Surely that's what they all would do. That's like only taking out insurance only after what you are insuring against has happened. Try ringing up any insurance company and try to get cover for a break in that happened last night. At least the AA and the like will help you out if you have broken down and are not a member - for a price. If they didn't then nobody would buy cover and everybody would wait until the needed help before joining.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Don't forget, AA are a rip-off. If you want to join because you've run out of petrol, suddenly all those special offers aren't available.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    +1 for Green Flag.

-1 for Green Flag here.

Direct Line used to charge me £100 p.a. for Green Flag and the one time I needed them they were crap. So I joined the AA. Purely by coincidence, I've used them 3 times now in a year, they've been brilliant, and it costs me less.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    +1 for Green Flag.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Stone me.

I've just realised I've been in the AA since 1977.

Must have paid them at least two or three cars worth of money over the years.
    1977 was when I joined the RAC. During what I assumed was a shift to a computer system a few years later they started sending my membership card to the house across the road. They never managed to get the address right after that. It took a change of bank account to get rid of the direct debit.

I've never fully trusted direct debits since.

The Swiss version (Touring Club de Suisse - TCS) on the other hand were pleasantly cheap and when I needed a new battery brought a decent quality one at a surprisingly competitive price.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    I'm with the AA - Last year I joined and got something back via quidco and paid £11.38 a month. This year then tried to increase my monthly amount to £19.30. I called them up to complain so they dropped it back to £11.38 - That covers me and my wife with relay and homestart.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I follow the advice on Cheap breakdown cover: Roadside assistance from £8 a year... and go for the best European cover - last year it was about £50.

Mrs F has hers included with the car insurance because it's an old campervan which is a nightmare to get breakdown cover anywhere else - insurance bundles it in for £70. Buy it on it's own and it would be £200+

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Stone me.

I've just realised I've been in the AA since 1977.

Must have paid them at least two or three cars worth of money over the years.
    Be fair though zeity, you have probably eaten 2 or 3 cars since then too.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    I use the RAC. I used to do some Motorsport and at the time the RAC managed the licencing (ISTR) so it seemed the right thing to do. Been a member for 20 years or so. I have had no problems with them at all but it's not bargain cover.

Leave a comment:

• monobrow
    replied
    don't be such a cheapskate!

you are a contractor .. use this

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    AA for me on two grounds:

1. The policy I have gives me a hired car if mine is off the road, so always mobile. The RAC cannot do this.

2. I have the breakdown repair warranty with the AA. I think a £50 excess then they pay the balance of garage repairs up to a grand. RAC do not offer this.

Official cost is around £20 a month, but, because I am a low risk user having been with them for donkeys years they whacked it down to something like a tenner a month.

I do not just get breadown cover, I am guaranteed to always be mobile in my car, recovery truck or a loan car

Leave a comment:

• Jubber
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    My RAC cover is due for renewal soon. Who do you prefer for breakdown cover, the big two or any of the others?
    I'm a member of the RAC and they were excellent when I needed them. Head gasket blew just as I was pulling into my hotel (phew). The car was still under warranty (2nd hand from dealer) so the RAC turned up with a trailer and took it off to the dealer to fix. Within 2 hours I had a hire car to use, as I have the bells and whistles service, so I carried on about my business.

I'm glad I had RAC cover and I'm glad I bought the car from a dealer.

At renewal time I always call the RAC and haggle the cost. They always try to put my 'premium' up by about 30% or so, but I always get it down.

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    AA they seem more helpful RAC seem stuck up thier own bottoms

Leave a comment:

Working...
X