• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Won't happen in my lifetime..."

Collapse

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    It's time we moved on from this obsession with moonbases and supersonic travel and so on. In the 1950s, that was the vision of the future. Then it happened. Now, for us, it's a memory of the past. You might as well complain that no one goes sailing across the Atlantic in little wooden ships to colonise South America any more. Or that no one is building watermills these days. It's been done and we're spending our time and money on other things now.
    Dang's right.

If we spend too much time being obsessed with the past, then we'll neglect the present.

What Dang forgot to add, so I shall add for him, is that if we spend too much time on the here and now, we also lose focus on the future too.

And the future is getting our sorry backsides off this little old rock called Earth, because eventually, there will be an ELE (Extinction Level Event) that will wipe the planet out. Discounting earthborne pandemics, wars, mega lava flows, and so on, and also discounting events such as asteroid strikes, etc ; the Sun will eventually go super nova and that's a given.

If mankind's prime directive is to survive (and reproduce), like most other biological organisms, then it is imperative that we strive to disperse across the universe.

Dang is right.

Looking back is nostalgic, looking to the present is pragmatic, but looking to the future is prudent.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    As the chances of the real thing are fast receding, I doubt I'll experience Sensurround virtual sex with Kylie Minogue.

Or Audrey Tautou.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    20 years ago no one had mobile phones, your camera could only take 36 photos and then you had to wait for them to be developed, and you had to pay for the rubbish ones. There was no internet, no youtube, no mp3 player that could hold more music than you will ever listen to. You couldn't Skype your family in Australia, watch TV programs of your choice when you wanted to, send a photo to your grandparents by email, work from home etc etc.
    To nitpick, there was internet back then, but it was expensive and only a minority had access to it. Agreed that the web came later. The web would certainly have made the boredom of bench time more bearable back then.

There wasn't the feeling that your privacy was being constantly eroded.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    You might as well complain that no one goes sailing across the Atlantic in little wooden ships to colonise South America any more.
    Good point. Now they sail the other way to colonise us.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    It's time we moved on from this obsession with moonbases and supersonic travel and so on. In the 1950s, that was the vision of the future. Then it happened. Now, for us, it's a memory of the past. You might as well complain that no one goes sailing across the Atlantic in little wooden ships to colonise South America any more. Or that no one is building watermills these days. It's been done and we're spending our time and money on other things now.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I believe they went to the Moon, but I don't believe they came back. I haven't yet fully fleshed out this conspiracy theory.
    I don't believe they went, but I believe they came back.

I'm also still working on the details of my theory.

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    • Sorry, but Ipads just don't make up for all that.
      20 years ago no one had mobile phones, your camera could only take 36 photos and then you had to wait for them to be developed, and you had to pay for the rubbish ones. There was no internet, no youtube, no mp3 player that could hold more music than you will ever listen to. You couldn't Skype your family in Australia, watch TV programs of your choice when you wanted to, send a photo to your grandparents by email, work from home etc etc.

I don't like a lot that happens now, but I wouldn't go back.
    Fair points. Better transport now, better health service etc. End of a fair chunk of the Iron Curtain (although it still looks grim in certain ex Soviet Union countries). Pubs open all day (when they've not actually been closed down). A lot has improved. But we seem to have lost the future, innit?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    World peace.
    But on the plus side, TimberWolf could be crowned Miss Moon Base.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    In your lifetime, your lifetime might be artificially extended substantially.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Is Lewis Carrol writing your script?
    No! Andy Carroll is, and he's no good at that either!

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Did no-one read my Apollo 20 thread a while back?

Waffle...
    Is Lewis Carrol writing your script?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    And..

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Did no-one read my Apollo 20 thread a while back?

Apollo 19 went to explore a crashed alien spaceship on the far side of the moon seen by Apollo 15, but the mission failed, Apollo 20 succeeded, it's 100% true, the evidence is here;

APOLLO 20 ALIEN SHIP CONTROVERSY

Apollo 18 was, of course the Apollo-Soyuz mission, a practice for 19 and 20.

I GUARANTEE that if you're not 100% SATISFIED with this story I will PERSONALLY refund the internet time you have SPENT*

stek

*less $4m indemnity fee, by reading this you understand I'm totally off my head and not responsible for my.., well just not responsible....

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    You mean haven't filmed anything in
    a film studio since 1972.

I find it amazing that only the US has been to the moon. The Russian have said it's impossible and now 42 years later since the first 'landings' we still have not done anything else.

I don't believe they ever did.
    I believe they went to the Moon, but I don't believe they came back. I haven't yet fully fleshed out this conspiracy theory.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Now you've reminded me I'm feeling a bit glum about that. NASA haven't had a manned mission out of low earth orbit since 1972 (or anybody else for that matter).
    You mean haven't filmed anything in
    a film studio since 1972.

I find it amazing that only the US has been to the moon. The Russian have said it's impossible and now 42 years later since the first 'landings' we still have not done anything else.

I don't believe they ever did.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X