• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Richtofen scale"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    This post I think
    Where there's a will there's a way................

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Russell Brand got the sach, as did Ross. Or got told off and given lots of money, I forget now.
    Brand made a complete one man stand up show out of the episode. I saw it on telly.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    The Richtofen scale is a bit like the richter scale. its a measure of how soon after some disaster its ok to fly a joke about it.

If it happens to my city or country - fair game
    If it happens to an organisation that I am or was a part of - fair game
    If it happens to my family - fair game
    If it happens to a country that I have spent a lot of time in - fair game
    If I have ever been in a tsunami - tsunamis are fair game
    etc

basically, if I have a close attachment, I can take the p1ss, and I can stand having it taken

but if its a place , incident or horror that I have no experience of, I feel the need to zip it.

I have never been in an earthquake, tsunami or nuclear meltdown, or spent 10 tears living as a jap.
    so I will bow out of this one and zip it

Yes you are right, but again someone may make a joke about it, regret it when you explain it like this and learn from it.

It needs balance. This post I think brings balance and does indeed make you wise (in CUK terms at least) and is one of your best.

I think we should resort to the default of taking the piss out of the yanks, never fails

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Ditto on the concept.

As for Princess Di. I think if the scale of faux media anguish is so widely out of proportion then it's fair game.

In this case (Japan) it isn't.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Whoosh.
    D'oh!

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Anyway, I've seen those people on the news in Japan. I'm not giving them any money - some of them have got TWO BOATS in their front gardens.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Russell Brand got the sach, as did Ross. Or got told off and given lots of money, I forget now.
    Whoosh.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Que??

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    For which he got the sach.
    Que??

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I think there's something about power differential. It's OK for the powerless to mock the powerful. I found the Russell Brand / Andrew Sachs incident distasteful because Brand used his position of power (access to broadcasting media) to laugh at Sachs's expense.
    For which he got the sach.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Well, famous people generally are fair game, esp if they are being twattish, although I think I would draw the line at someone's kids dying or something like that.
    I think there's something about power differential. It's OK for the powerless to mock the powerful. I found the Russell Brand / Andrew Sachs incident distasteful because Brand used his position of power (access to broadcasting media) to laugh at Sachs's expense.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Hey! You're are a very wise chap EO!
    Well, he is...... for a scouser

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    It's an interesting concept, and new to me, so thank you. The other category is (as you hint):

If it happens to Princess Di, it's fair game.
    Well, famous people generally are fair game, esp if they are being twattish, although I think I would draw the line at someone's kids dying or something like that.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    It's an interesting concept, and new to me, so thank you. The other category is (as you hint):

If it happens to Princess Di, it's fair game.
    Ditto on the concept.

As for Princess Di. I think if the scale of faux media anguish is so widely out of proportion then it's fair game.

In this case (Japan) it isn't.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X